What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 is now available for all supported Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It's ... working but i never had any problems at all and 1st time i saw the missing link , well i've started all the investigation and also coming here to the forums to "cry" :)
It shows cable unplugged but all mesh devices work and the settlement is done ... over LAN
A good idea to run Asus factory firmware on the AiMesh nodes. And, do not force Ethernet backhaul as setting to wired backhaul can cause problems.

All normal here with a pretty clean config. DDNS, IPv4 & IPv6 port forwards, static addresses assigned, DNS Director directing. No add-ons or scripts in use.

I lead a boring life, but a reliable one.

Hi, I’m on 386.7 on AX86U. To upgrade do I need to unmount usb or it will update without it? It was stuck on apply settings for a while so I just rebooted.

EDIT: using Chrome in Incognito mode.

EDIT 2: FIXED. I had Avast anti-virus blocking the update. Disabling it, resolved it.

Last edited:
Thanks @RMerlin. I am one happy camper that has been waiting patiently for Wireguard, for my specific needs. To start with, I don't pay for what I don't need.

I have a 300 Mbps WAN/ISP cable connection (in US, ISPs suck, as is widely known, but that's plenty for my needs). I have a Docsis 3.0 modem that gets about 275 Mbps - I don't "upgrade" it, just to get an extra 25 Mbps boost. As I said, I don't pay for what I don't need.

I also have a AX58U as my main router, which I had bought 2-3 years ago, when I had a 100 Mbps connection from the same ISP.

So I needed Wireguard to reach the maximum I can, with this above setup, in a VPN - which I can now at 180 - 200 Mbps. Previously, with OpenVPN, I was limited to about 65 Mbps. So even with NAT disabled that Wireguard "costs", I am a very happy camper with Wireguard and this Merllin release.

Still no SNMP - any chance SNMP will come back?
It's only available on some models, because for the other models it causes error messages and crashes within Broadcom's drivers. This is outside of my control.

Flashed new firmware. First I noticed is speedtest is not accured. When I test it through web speed is 945/500 like it should, and when I test it via router UI it's around 600-700 download and upload is 497Mbps

160mhz channel width appears to be broken on my rt-ax86u. Using the the newest release (i have not tried any previous merlin release on this router) I only get 80mhz channels when set to 160mhz (shows 160 in ui, but actually 80mhz). Factory reset did not fix it. If I flash the latest asus firmware the 160mhz channels are working correctly.

@RMerlin, dirty upgrade from beta4, no issues. Thanks for another great release, donation is comming your way.

Everything going fine here as well on my AX86U.

Just curious: Are there any changes from beta4?

Dirty upgrade from 386.7_2 to 388.1 on AX-11000.
Don't seem to have any issues so I'll leave the factory reset alone.

Everything set up again as per my siggy. Nothing to report.
Thanks again @RMerlin

Upgraded my GT-AXE11000 to 388.1. No changes were made to my configuration.

Using it in AP mode.

Now any clients on 5GHz are being disconnected after a few minutes.

The errors I see in the logs are:

Dec 4 12:51:44 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(469): eth7: Deauth_ind XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: 0, reason: Station requesting (re)association is not authenticated with responding station (9)
Dec 4 12:51:44 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(486): eth7: Disassoc XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Dec 4 12:51:44 hostapd: eth7: STA XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX IEEE 802.11: disassociated

Clients on the 2.4GHz seem to be OK.

I need to go back to 386.7.2 as there are no issues on 5GHz with this version of the firmware.

Anyone else seen this kind of behavior?

Last edited:
160mhz channel width appears to be broken on my rt-ax86u. Using the the newest release (i have not tried any previous merlin release on this router) I only get 80mhz channels when set to 160mhz (shows 160 in ui, but actually 80mhz). Factory reset did not fix it. If I flash the latest asus firmware the 160mhz channels are working correctly.
probably radar detection causing fallback to 80 mhz

With non WiFi 6 models being cut off what is the cheepest Asus router that supports ay least WiFi6?
I can't connect my PC to the router with a UTP cable (rental appartement) so I used an AC-Wifi dongle but I couldn't get the speeds my ISP offered (350Down/35Up).
So I bought a AX-53U and use it in Repeater mode connected over UTP to my PC.
This solution is cheaper than a Wifi-6 dongle but for now the AX--53U has no support for Asuswrt-Merlin but it works great and I achieve the speeds of my ISP with Wireguard active on my AX-88U without any problem.

@RMerlin: thanks for your hard work!!