What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 is now available for all supported Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Upgraded my GT-AXE11000 to 388.1. No changes were made to my configuration.

Using it in AP mode.

Now any clients on 5GHz are being disconnected after a few minutes.

The errors I see in the logs are:

Dec 4 12:51:44 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(469): eth7: Deauth_ind XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: 0, reason: Station requesting (re)association is not authenticated with responding station (9)
Dec 4 12:51:44 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(486): eth7: Disassoc XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Dec 4 12:51:44 hostapd: eth7: STA XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX IEEE 802.11: disassociated

Clients on the 2.4GHz seem to be OK.

I need to go back to 386.7.2 as there are no issues on 5GHz with this version of the firmware.

Anyone else seen this kind of behavior?
An update - I have disable ch 160 for the 5GHz network and all is back to normal.

160mhz channel width appears to be broken on my rt-ax86u. Using the the newest release (i have not tried any previous merlin release on this router) I only get 80mhz channels when set to 160mhz (shows 160 in ui, but actually 80mhz). Factory reset did not fix it. If I flash the latest asus firmware the 160mhz channels are working correctly.
Try playing with different channels. Start with one from 36-48 to avoid interference. It should work, but if you live in a area with congested airwaves it might be difficult to find a channel that works.

A reset to defaults erases the JFFS. Importing a save JFFS usually has no negative impact to router stability after a reset.
The jffs backup contains partial nvram and other system data. Restoring it after a factory reset will leave the system in a partially reset/partially restored state. So YMMV.

First of all, thanks to all the developers/members who contributed to this new update, especially @RMerlin.

Due to the AX56U's processor -if I'm not mistaken- the download bandwidth of my OpenVPN clients on my devices was decreasing. So the addition of the Wireguard client feature was a very good development for me.

My VPN provider provides a DNS address of 10.26.xx.xx for ad blocking (normally the DNS is 10.9.xx.xx). I used to be able to use ad-blocking DNS without any problems by adding the line "dhcp-option DNS 10.26.xx.xx" to the configurations of my 2 OVPN clients. The DNS IP addresses I saw on the DNS leak sites were the Public IP address that appeared on my OVPN clients.

This is where I have a problem -if this is a real problem-. When no OVPN clients are running and 2 Wireguard clients are running, or when OVPN-1 and WG-1 clients are running, the DNS redirects seem to be broken. When I set the DNS addresses on WG-1 and 2 to 10.26.xx.xx, WG-2's DNS queries are made from WG-1, or when I turn off WG-2 and run OVPN-1 ("exclusive" and "dhcp-option" DNS set to 10.26.xx.xx), OVPN-1's DNS queries are made from WG-1.

The new DNSFilter is set to "Enable" and "no redirection".

Everything else seems to be working fine.
I'm not sure if this applies to you, but putting an DNS address in the Optional DNS line of the Wireguard config, will over ride DNSDirector's ability to manipulate DNS for the devices running through Wireguard. I left that line blank and put the preferred DNS for the devices (I only had 3 devices needing this) in DNSDirector and it works fine. My DNSDirector is set to Router.

using NBN
Using Fios? might have to wait for the updated sdk for that fix (388.21617)
using NBN in australia (aussie broadband) able to get full speeds using the latest stock tho so reverted back to that till there is a fix on merlin firmware.

using NBN

using NBN in australia (aussie broadband) able to get full speeds using the latest stock tho so reverted back to that till there is a fix on merlin firmware.
Yeah I'm the same on Verizon Fios (fiber optic internet) when I use merlin I have slow upload, with the latest stock I get upload speeds that I'm supposed to.

Patiently waiting for when ASUS includes it,

DoT doesn't work with Control D on 388.1 on my RT-AX88U.

I couldn't get an Internet connection from any device using the router's DNS server.
Devices and browsers using DoH were unable to connect either.
The only exception is my laptop using dnscrypt-proxy.

I reverted to 386.8 and everything works as expected.

Several Control D users have reported this issue.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Import another config file. There is no data clear feature, or default feature.
This odd i know thay i can import new config but what if i want to clear the config like on openvpn? I think on stock there is a option to clear.

Dirty upgrade from 388.1 beta4, everything stable and working as expected. Thanks @RMerlin

DoT doesn't work with Control D on 388.1 on my RT-AX88U.

I couldn't get an Internet connection from any device using the router's DNS server.
Devices and browsers using DoH were unable to connect either.
The only exception is my laptop using dnscrypt-proxy.

I reverted to 386.8 and everything works as expected.

Several Control D users have reported this issue.

Is anyone else having this issue?
I can confirm this on my GT-AX11000, I’m having the same issue with ControlD using DoT at a router level. The WAN connection is detected by the router (IP assigned and everything) but there’s no internet connectivity on any device and I can’t see any DNS queries coming from the router being posted on the website.

I have not rolled back yet but I haven’t figured out what’s going either. This is specifically affecting ControlD (which was working fine prior to updating) since NextDNS and AdGuard 2.0 both work using router DoT, I can’t see something off staring out on the logs.

Last edited:
There are two .pkgtb files in the download package. The only difference beyond byte count is the naming. One has 'rog' in the file name.

What is the difference here? I can't find anything explaining it in the thread or in the readme.

Hi, I’m on 386.7 on AX86U. To upgrade do I need to unmount usb or it will update without it? It was stuck on apply settings for a while so I just rebooted.

EDIT: using Chrome in Incognito mode.

EDIT 2: FIXED. I had Avast anti-virus blocking the update. Disabling it, resolved it.
Rmerlin published about six months ago in this forum no need to unmount the USB drive on an update. I've not done it for say "two years" on various ASUS models and had no issues linked to USB.

Runs and drives on AX86U. No scripts, no TrendMicro so far. Got this in logs:

1670174826890.png

Is there any benefit with Merlin when running in AI Mesh AP mode?
With rmerlin's 388 release on your primary Router and your AiMesh unit is a AX68U or AX86U...(all types) with rmerlin 388 (all other AiMesh & rmerline capable models seem fine) you'd get a "not connected" message on the AiMesh panel. Installing the ASUS Stock Firmware on these two model groups resolves.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this applies to you, but putting an DNS address in the Optional DNS line of the Wireguard config, will over ride DNSDirector's ability to manipulate DNS for the devices running through Wireguard. I left that line blank and put the preferred DNS for the devices (I only had 3 devices needing this) in DNSDirector and it works fine. My DNSDirector is set to Router.

Thanks for the reply. So for each device that will use the WG client, I need to set the ad-blocking private IPv4 DNS address of the VPN server from DHCP or DNS Director.

When I set DNS Director as "Router", my mobile devices that use Android's Private DNS (DoT) can't access the internet through VPN clients. I guess this new feature not only redirects Do53 to the router, but also blocks port 853 somehow. Note that I am commenting as an average user.