What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 is now available for all supported Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Flashed new firmware. First I noticed is speedtest is not accured. When I test it through web speed is 945/500 like it should, and when I test it via router UI it's around 600-700 download and upload is 497Mbps
Router CPU is not powerful enough to run a speed test at that speed.

how do i remove config from wrg1?
Just clear the content of the 4 or 5 fields on the page. There are so few fields to clear that it wasn't worth the trouble of implementing a dedicated Default function.

Dirty upgrade, all running fine : getting this in logs, any ideas?
bsd = Band Stearing Daemon. Used when in Smart Connect mode, Asus must have kept debug logging enabled in bsd for some platforms.

I guess this new feature not only redirects Do53 to the router, but also blocks port 853 somehow.
That's correct. Otherwise, DNS Director could be defeated just by using DoT.

If you use a DNS Director server from the presets that is known to support DoT, then DoT traffic for that specific server will be allowed through.

Runs and drives on AX86U. No scripts, no TrendMicro so far. Got this in logs:

View attachment 45976
That proprietary service is tied to either ITTT or their AiHome service that's available in some regions. I don't know any further details about it, so I'd just ignore it.

@RMerlin if I clean the field and press apply I get an error that the field is missing, for example, IP fields or private key, so wath users gonna do that want to delete the config and not to leave it on the router disabled?
is there any way via ssh to completely reset wireguard client?

Dirty update from 386.7_2 to 388.1 on RT-AX3000 (aka RT-AX58U). Also updated mesh node RT-AX56U to 388.1. All went well until I noticed that on the web UI Network Status my CPU status was not showing any activity on the 3rd core. I checked the status from my cell phone app, and it displays intermittent 1% "Hits" on the third core, but no apparent "Load Balancing" between the cores. I have no way (or expertise) to confirm that the 3rd core is not being accessed. Some many, many moons ago, I saw this problem in stock Asus Firmware, and an update to Asuswrt-Merlin cured it.

This is likely an Asus problem and nothing @RMerlin can help with. I am just posting this to bring it to the attention of the community.

As this does not seem to hurt overall performance (but makes me nervous). I am going to wait for comments from the forum before I flash back to 386.7_2.

[NitPick]: The web GUI thinks my 100Mb printer and GPS Time server are "Problems" (See Attached)

EDIT 5 Jan 22: Rolled back to Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7_2 this morning and all three CPU cores are now displaying in Web UI and Android Phone app.
Thanks to @RMerlin for your excellent work.

Attachments

• 22-12-04-RT-AX3000-CPU-Usage-Graph.jpg
    22-12-04-RT-AX3000-CPU-Usage-Graph.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
@RMerlin if I clean the field and press apply I get an error that the field is missing, for example, IP fields or private key, so wath users gonna do that want to delete the config and not to leave it on the router disabled?
The only way that works for me is to import a dummy WG config file that causes an HTTPD restart and the data is gone.

[Interface]
Address =
PrivateKey =
DNS =

[Peer]
PublicKey =
PresharedKey =
Endpoint =
AllowedIPs =
PersistentKeepalive =

The only way that works for me is to import a dummy WG config file that causes an HTTPD restart and the data is gone.

[Interface]
Address =
PrivateKey =
DNS =

[Peer]
PublicKey =
PresharedKey =
Endpoint =
AllowedIPs =
PersistentKeepalive =
Thanks,I will try now but still, I cannot understand why not add the option to completely remove the config like the OpenVPN client has, I remember that on stock firmware there is an option to reset wg clients to defaults

Edit: well I make a dummy config upload to the router and old config was deleted

but still, I think there must be a UI option to reset wg client and not leave unused config files on the router just because there is no reset option.

Last edited:
I can confirm this on my GT-AX11000, I’m having the same issue with ControlD using DoT at a router level. The WAN connection is detected by the router (IP assigned and everything) but there’s no internet connectivity on any device and I can’t see any DNS queries coming from the router being posted on the website.

I have not rolled back yet but I haven’t figured out what’s going either. This is specifically affecting ControlD (which was working fine prior to updating) since NextDNS and AdGuard 2.0 both work using router DoT, I can’t see something off staring out on the logs.
After reading this, I believe I had this problem as well on my brand new GT-AX6000. I use ControlD and had the same symptoms. I didn't have time to troubleshoot so I went back to 386.7_2 until I can work on it tomorrow.

Ax88U*2+ AX56U 24h run smooth after 1h reboot.
Ax56u 24h run smooth.

Both systems been dirty upgraded from B4.

Cheers.
In that note, I'd like to thank dear @RMerlin for all of his hard job during this 388.1 development.

In case no more alphas/betas or extra patches, in the next month or so, I'd like to wish you @RMerlin merry christmas, Happy Hannuka, and Happy NYE.
For manny more years of developing this project.

Thanks for the reply. So for each device that will use the WG client, I need to set the ad-blocking private IPv4 DNS address of the VPN server from DHCP or DNS Director.

When I set DNS Director as "Router", my mobile devices that use Android's Private DNS (DoT) can't access the internet through VPN clients. I guess this new feature not only redirects Do53 to the router, but also blocks port 853 somehow. Note that I am commenting as an average user.
Set the global setting to "no redirection" then and add your other DNS preferences.

Thanks for the reply. So for each device that will use the WG client, I need to set the ad-blocking private IPv4 DNS address of the VPN server from DHCP or DNS Director.
You set the ad-blocking DNS in DNS director as "user defined DNS" then select your devices that use it.

Forgive my ignorance, but I see two firmware files in the unzipped folder—one marked “ROG” and the other not. Could someone please explain the difference? Does the ROG version just add the gaming features and are they otherwise identical?

Forgive my ignorance, but I see two firmware files in the unzipped folder—one marked “ROG” and the other not. Could someone please explain the difference? Does the ROG version just add the gaming features and are they otherwise identical?
The only difference is the layout and the colors.

The only difference is the layout and the colors.
Thanks! Like some others here, upgrading from 386.7_2 broke the Speed Test for me—it’s acting very wonky which was not an issue with the prior release.

I’m running this on a GT-AX11000 right now, but have the GT-AX11000 pro on the way this Tuesday so I can take advantage of UNII-4 with my ZenWifi XT8 nodes. I’ll see if the problem persists after that.

Just leave it disabled then, it doesn't matter.

Read the changelog. And also the first post in this thread. Both explains what these are...

Yes. WireGuard is not a real client/server setup, it's a peer-to-peer type of setup. WireGuard has no concept of a "disconnected client", the interface will stay up until you manually shut it down, regardless of whether the two are able to communicate or not. If the peers are no longer able to communicate, then the traffic will automatically fail to route without the need of a dedicated killswitch.

Clear your browser cache.

Thanks @RMerlin for the answer about WG and Killswitch. But I have test to stop WG and see what happenning for computer redirect to WG VPN. The traffic is bypass down WG VPN to go with normal traffic (WAN). Do you think is possible to BLOCK if WG is down ?

I updated both AX86U and AXE16000, the Ethernet Ports is showing on AX86U, but on the AXE16000, I checked the HTML element with id "phy_ports", it showing display none.

1670202806266.png

and even the script used to show these element
Object.keys(port_info).length is equal to 0

if(Object.keys(port_info).length == 0){
$('#phy_ports').hide();
}

do you know if there any configuration needed to enable this on AXE16000

After reading this, I believe I had this problem as well on my brand new GT-AX6000. I use ControlD and had the same symptoms. I didn't have time to troubleshoot so I went back to 386.7_2 until I can work on it tomorrow.
I'm also having this issue. Control D with DNS-over-TLS (DoT) was working fine under 386.7_2 on my GT-AX11000. Under 388.1 it no longer works. I will downgrade back to 386.7_2 shortly unless anyone has a solution to share.

All of that said, many thanks to @RMerlin for adding WireGuard support and for his tireless efforts for us in general!

After updating my RT-AX86U with the latest 388.1 version, I notice that the nvram reported in-use on the gui's tools page dropped by about 7k. (84k to 77k). An "nvram show" command via SSH still shows 84k in use. The gui seems to showing the wrong value. UPDATE: Found the relevant release note in 386.8 (which I thought was only applicable to the 3 listed models).
The same change carried over for all the other HND models that were included in 388.1.

The newly reported value more accurately reflects what is actually used in the nvram partition, as it will exclude variables that only exist in JFFS.

I updated both AX86U and AXE16000, the Ethernet Ports is showing on AX86U, but on the AXE16000, I checked the HTML element with id "phy_ports", it showing display none.
Network phymap report is currently broken on that model. It will need to be fixed by Asus, that backend code is closed source. It might be tied to the fact that the conn_diag service is also crashing on that specific model.

fullcone removed, is there any chance of it coming back to hnd 5.04 models?