What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 is now available for all supported Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fullcone removed, is there any chance of it coming back to hnd 5.04 models?
The option was removed because it wasn't even working at all.

Someone would have to implement it, because Broadcom only implement it on the older 4.1 kernel.

Can it be possible just to "missed" the graphical interface showing the connection ? :))

View attachment 45953

If so it's hilarious, because it ... works but it's showing that it's actually not working

View attachment 45954

View attachment 45955
Same problem here,
UI said the wired uplink not working,
but I think it is working alright.
1670214928915.png

VPN Fusion and VPN Director are both good solutions -- too bad we didn't have a toggle to use one or the other; or keep the stock asus VPN system or toggle merlins.
Overall it works good but the documentation on the VPN area I find a little confusing to setup TBH vs asus (and I used nord VPN wireguard with asus stock before).

Also do you have the 388 code from asus for the stock AX11000 router?

Super smooth update from 386.7_2 to 388.1on my RT-AX86U. It has now been running like a Swiss Watch for many hours, with zero issues or problems. Thanks again @RMerlin for all of your hardwork. Always appreciated. I don't have a particularly complex setup, but I've fine-tuned it over previous firmware releases anyway (often thanks to forum members' useful posts), so that it matches my own requirements. Others, seem to have had issues / questions, but I don't currently use the Router's / Firmware provided VPN Client function, only because... it doesn't, yet, fully cater for IPv6. Until it does, I will continue using WireGuard Clients (which do support IPv6) independently, on any LAN device as as/when needed. Very happy with this router, this firmware & their combined, delivered performance.

Last edited:
my router-side vpn fails to disengage for specific devices.

been running 388.1 (ax86u) for several hours now and with the exception of my vpn, all's fine. i recently switched to surfshark and had it running on the ax86u on the last release. i use a static ip for several media devices as there are times when i have to bypass the vpn in order to see local content. not a big deal, as i've been running this way for years with express, nord and now surfshark.

post upgrade, when i disable a device in vpn director and "apply," it still shows my public vpn ip! this check is done using the "what's my ip" tool. am seeing this behavior on wired and wireless devices. the workaround is to completely disable the vpn on the router's "vpn client" tab. only then do i see that the vpn ip is gone. mind you, never had to before. so any thoughts would be appreciated although, it's beginning to look a lot like. . .

fwiw,
  • did a hardware/factory reset before the install
  • manually entered all settings
  • followed the configuration instructions for surfshark based on their asus-merlin guide.
all connections before and after setting the vpn appear to work well.

commentary: merlin's a genius and we love him. you guys that provide support deserve lots of love as well - y'all never cease to amaze me! it's a prime example of a "social collective" for the better good; and yeah, i despise the term "social media" for what is has come to mean these days, but let me not wax too political, as i'm stuck.

I'm also having this issue. Control D with DNS-over-TLS (DoT) was working fine under 386.7_2 on my GT-AX11000. Under 388.1 it no longer works. I will downgrade back to 386.7_2 shortly unless anyone has a solution to share.

All of that said, many thanks to @RMerlin for adding WireGuard support and for his tireless efforts for us in general!
After some time attempting to troubleshoot I was unable to get it working so I had to roll back to the previous version, which is a bummer since this build is a pretty neat work from @RMerlin (Thank you)!!!

I’m not sure the firmware update is the sole culprit here since other DoT providers work just fine with 388.1, I’m guessing that ControlD’s DoT implementation is different than let’s say, NextDNS or AdGuard 2.0, and that is generating now a conflict with something that changed with the new firmware build.

In my case I like the granularity and extra features I can get with ControlD so I decided I would stay on the previous firmware with it working rather than on the new firmware but using NextDNS.

That's correct. Otherwise, DNS Director could be defeated just by using DoT.

If you use a DNS Director server from the presets that is known to support DoT, then DoT traffic for that specific server will be allowed through.
This assumes the dns redirection was to force users to use a Dns server the admin controls.
There is another use case that the admin just wants to force encrypted dns.

The dot block actual forces me to have unencrypted dns requests now either when connected via my Asus by not redirecting devices to encrypted dns or when connected via other networks because I was forced to turn off dot on devices.

Forcing Merlin users to unencrypted dns is the side effect of this change which I see as a negative.

Last edited:
Hello. First of all, @RMerlin, thanks for the great work. I have a question, where can I find a description of the wireguard client configuration on RT-AX88U with the latest firmware?

Just clear the content of the 4 or 5 fields on the page. There are so few fields to clear that it wasn't worth the trouble of implementing a dedicated Default function.
IIRC the form won't allow saving when some of those fields are empty.

First timer here.

I've always flashed my asus to merlin and want to do this for my ax82u. I have a ac86u in an AI mesh. Do both routers need to be on this firmware for the aimesh to work?

Hello. First of all, @RMerlin, thanks for the great work. I have a question, where can I find a description of the wireguard client configuration on RT-AX88U with the latest firmware?
Ask your VPN provider.
Probably they offer a config file suited for your location which you only have to upload in the settings of the VPN connection.

So the connection to the L2tp server connected to AX86U falls off after a few hours. Nothing in the logs, it is solved by restarting the router. The latest firmware without this problem is 386.2_6.

Router CPU is not powerful enough to run a speed test at that speed.

Just clear the content of the 4 or 5 fields on the page. There are so few fields to clear that it wasn't worth the trouble of implementing a dedicated Default function.

bsd = Band Stearing Daemon. Used when in Smart Connect mode, Asus must have kept debug logging enabled in bsd for some platforms.
I turned off Smart Connect and no further messages, I believe this is the prefered way to go anyway, is there any disadvantage to not using smart connect? I know it's been hotly debated in the past?

probably radar detection causing fallback to 80 mhz
Hi, Same here, i think first time was cuz i do a bad configuration, but i try everithing. When start the service of wifi and connect devices change from 40/160mhz to 40/80mhz. Even i try to change the channels but nothing.

Anyone know if i can apply the ROG RMerlin firmware to an already installed RMerlin fw without a factory reset? Also, if i would like to reinstall the non-ROG RMerlin fw back, would this require a factory reset?

Anyone know if i can apply the ROG RMerlin firmware to an already installed RMerlin fw without a factory reset? Also, if i would like to reinstall the non-ROG RMerlin fw back, would this require a factory reset?
No, just clear your browser cache after each change to refresh and update the WebUI.

I did a semi-dirty upgrade (uninstalled amtm scripts and unmounted USB) on my RT-AX88U from 386.8.
Per my set-up, all has been running well for 24 hours (see signature).
Only observation (probably a scMerlin issue) is the Temperature is not visible. Not a worry on my end, as I use either 'tools' or amtm vis ssh to view. I just wanted to point it out.

Thanks @RMerlin for your great work !

I did a dirty upgrade this morning with no issues.
Only a question: Do I need to do something special to connect to my router (or whichever device on my LAN) from a remote device connected as a Wireguard client to router's Wireguard server?
I set up the router's Wireguard Server with the option 'Intranet Access' enabled.
Many thanks in advance.

There is another use case that the admin just wants to force encrypted dns.
Redirecting encrypted DNS queries is technically not possible. It's one of the features of DoT - to prevent DNS server redirection.

If you redirect to a DNS server that is known to support DoT, then it will work.

Also do you have the 388 code from asus for the stock AX11000 router?
Yes. I have the GPL code for every supported model (that's a requirement for me to be able to support it as I need each model-specific binary blobs).

where can I find a description of the wireguard client configuration on RT-AX88U with the latest firmware?
There is currently no documentation, as I didn't have time to write any. I already had a lot of documentation to update following the VPN Director and DNS Director changes.

is there any disadvantage to not using smart connect?
Nothing will work better than using different SSIDs, and manually connecting to the desired band. Smart Connect is highly dependent on client behaviour, so it might not always work as expected anyway.