What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 is now available for all supported Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Only observation (probably a scMerlin issue) is the Temperature is not visible. Not a worry on my end, as I use either 'tools' or amtm vis ssh to view. I just wanted to point it out.

Thanks @RMerlin for your great work !

For me works perfect:
temperature.JPG

just did a dirty update to the 388.1 Absolutely zero issues and all functions from what I have tested work correctly. I have a RT-AC68U, original release, in mesh mode as a node and it continued to work perfectly with a wireless connection. The node is running 386.7_2 firmware. Had time today so I ran new cat cable between the AX88u and the AC68u to finally get it setup in backhaul mode. Plugged in cable and selected backhaul and the connection switched without a bump. I let everything run for 4 hours and then powered both node and master down. Let them sit for 5 minutes and then powered node up first and after it was booted, then the master. Everything connected back up and no issues. Good release. Great work on your end Merlin. Now with the node hardwired, I can start to look for a AX device to replace it. No hurry, maybe I will catch a great sale. Really waiting to see what the price for the AX86U Pro going to be. Would like to get something using Broadcom's latest radio chip.

I updated my ax86U to the 388.1 firmware and everything went well.
The only problem is that my USB hdd won't go to hibernate mode anymore. It worked fine with the latest beta firmware.
@RMerlin, I know you don't change the usb drivers. I just wanted to report it.

I just upgraded my GT-AX11000 and noticed that I still have an option for fullcone NAT. I thought this was removed?
It was removed from the newer HND 5.04 devices. HND 5.02 devices like yours are fine.

Hello,
I have just upgraded to this version. The main page looks like this.
On Firefox:

View attachment 46006

On Edge browser:

View attachment 46007

Am I missing Firefox plugins...?

Many thanks for this new version and all your efforts in developing Merlin builds!
Mine looked the same on Firefox and on Edge, too.
It is working properly after a couple of refreshing page commands on Firefox (Ctrl - F5).

I updated to 388.1 and immediately after updating the master AIMesh node I lost internet access for my guest network in the 2.4GHz radio. The devices were able to join the network just fine, they were just unable to exit to the internet. My setup is an AXE16000 as the main node and two AXE11000 satellites. The satellites however don't seem to care whether they are in 388.1 or the earlier release (although in 388.1 I also have the error message about not being able to communicate with AiMesh even though they actually can).

I rolled back all nodes to their previous working release (GT-AXE11000_386.7_2.zip and GT-AXE16000_386.8_0.zip), doing the master first. As soon as I downgraded the AXE16000 to 386.8, the guest network started allowing internet access again. No config changes whatsoever.

388.1 running for several hours now in a GT AX-11000 with reflash and Restore (factory reset, including settings). I can say it's holding link at not below 2Gbps for a S22 Ultra. It didn't work at first but after reboot it kept the typical slowdown. I did my homework and I changed these 2 things:

• Changed 2.5WAN port connection (with an 1Gbps WAN/ISP) to the standard 1G WAN port
  • General -> USB Application -> Enable Share disabled (I didn't know why it was enabled)
I don't know if these settings have anything to do with this S22 Ultra issue but I hope it's useful for another user.

Also, increasingly faster speed tests in my Fire TV Max device.

Thanks for everything @RMerlin ! Greetings from Argentina!

IPv6 Native test. Any concerns here?

1670267018016.png

just a strange thing to report:

did a dirty upgrade from 386.7_2 to 388.1_0, did the manual reboot as suggested. Wifi 5ghz did not come online, 2,4 did.
After disable/save/re-enable/save 802.11ax / WiFi 6 mode wifi 5Ghz started working again

System info
- GT-AX6000
- now on 388.1_0 (the normal non ROG)
- different names for 2.4 and 5 Ghz
- internet by dutch ziggo with ipv6 enabled and working (saw a mention about ipv6 connectivity)

Hope this helps in any way. For me the issue is resolved but it might help development/others

Very good release. More stable wifi after learning what/which channel to pick. Also curious whats changed with Apple crap. Spam of lb dns is gone, which appear in Beta 4.

Code:
lb._dns-sd._udp.6.0.0.192.in-addr.arpa
lb._dns-sd._udp.0.50.168.192.in-addr.arpa
lb._dns-sd._udp.107.244.1.10.in-addr.arpa

just a strange thing to report:

did a dirty upgrade from 386.7_2 to 388.1_0, did the manual reboot as suggested. Wifi 5ghz did not come online, 2,4 did.
After disable/save/re-enable/save 802.11ax / WiFi 6 mode wifi 5Ghz started working again

System info
- GT-AX6000
- now on 388.1_0 (the normal non ROG)
- different names for 2.4 and 5 Ghz
- internet by dutch ziggo with ipv6 enabled and working (saw a mention about ipv6 connectivity)

Hope this helps in any way. For me the issue is resolved but it might help development/others
If you have the Channel bandwidth set at auto & you've enable 160MHhz...
During bootup, the router has to scan for the DFS (Middle 5GHz channels) & verify they are clear... before enableing the channels (which takes more time).
RESULT= "most-likely" observe the 2.4GHz SSID being available before the 5GHz SSID (Note: on my RT-AX86U it's approximately 30seconds later)

You can also try to install the default (stock) fw on your mesh router. It will fix also the visuals :)

First timer here.

I've always flashed my asus to merlin and want to do this for my ax82u. I have a ac86u in an AI mesh. Do both routers need to be on this firmware for the aimesh to work?

It's recommended that your mesh nodes be on stock firmware. Should have no issue.

I just updated my AX86U router to 388.1. At the same time, I changed my second AX86U from an AP to a mesh node running stock Asus 388_21709. The two devices are connected via cable on the 2.5G ports. My question is about the guest networks. Guest network #1 has an option to use just the router or all mesh nodes. Guest network #2 doesn't have that option. And guest network #2 doesn't appear to broadcast on the mesh node. Is this the way it is supposed to work? If so, does anyone know why? I'm trying to use guest network #2 for IOT devices and some of them are much closer physically to the mnode and have trouble connecting to the router.

By the way, setting up the mesh node via cable was easy. The two devices are 3 floors away from each other, connected by about 60m of cable. The router found the mesh node without a problem.

I just updated my AX86U router to 388.1. At the same time, I changed my second AX86U from an AP to a mesh node running stock Asus 388_21709. The two devices are connected via cable on the 2.5G ports. My question is about the guest networks. Guest network #1 has an option to use just the router or all mesh nodes. Guest network #2 doesn't have that option. And guest network #2 doesn't appear to broadcast on the mesh node. Is this the way it is supposed to work? If so, does anyone know why? I'm trying to use guest network #2 for IOT devices and some of them are much closer physically to the mnode and have trouble connecting to the router.

By the way, setting up the mesh node via cable was easy. The two devices are 3 floors away from each other, connected by about 60m of cable. The router found the mesh node without a problem.
This is behavior by design.

After upgrading to 388.1 on my GT-AX6000 it appears that stubby/DoT isn't working correctly, at least for me. At first I thought it was the dns servers I was using, ControlD. So I tried Cloudflared and it does the same thing.

Can anyone else check and see if they are seeing the same thing? When I run stubby -l it fires up, but then just stops and I can no longer reach any websites. This happens on all the dns providers I try.

If I go back to 386.7_2, stubby -l is normal and everything works.

Here is what I see i.e. the startup but then it just stops, be it Cloudflared or ControlD, though I'm not sure it's much help:
Code:
/tmp/home/root# stubby -l
[00:09:38.538530] STUBBY: Read config from file /etc/stubby/stubby.yml
[00:09:38.539067] STUBBY: Stubby version: Stubby 0.4.2
[00:09:38.539345] STUBBY: DNSSEC Validation is OFF
[00:09:38.539499] STUBBY: Transport list is:
[00:09:38.539663] STUBBY:   - TLS
[00:09:38.539820] STUBBY: Privacy Usage Profile is Strict (Authentication required)
[00:09:38.539978] STUBBY: (NOTE a Strict Profile only applies when TLS is the ONLY transport!!)
[00:09:38.540130] STUBBY: Starting DAEMON....
[00:09:41.161291] STUBBY: 1.1.1.1                                  : Conn opened: TLS - Strict Profile

[00:09:41.161775] STUBBY: 1.0.0.1                                  : Conn opened: TLS - Strict Profile

[00:09:41.217731] STUBBY: 1.1.1.1                                  : Verify passed : TLS

[00:09:41.238027] STUBBY: 1.0.0.1                                  : Verify passed : TLS

[00:09:50.305566] STUBBY: 1.1.1.1                                  : Conn closed: TLS - Resps=     2, Timeouts  =     0, Curr_auth =Success, Keepalive(ms)=  9000

[00:09:50.305627] STUBBY: 1.1.1.1                                  : Upstream   : TLS - Resps=     2, Timeouts  =     0, Best_auth =Success

[00:09:50.305653] STUBBY: 1.1.1.1                                  : Upstream   : TLS - Conns=     1, Conn_fails=     0, Conn_shuts=      0, Backoffs     =     0

[00:09:50.398773] STUBBY: 1.0.0.1                                  : Conn closed: TLS - Resps=     2, Timeouts  =     0, Curr_auth =Success, Keepalive(ms)=  9000

[00:09:50.398831] STUBBY: 1.0.0.1                                  : Upstream   : TLS - Resps=     2, Timeouts  =     0, Best_auth =Success

[00:09:50.398859] STUBBY: 1.0.0.1                                  : Upstream   : TLS - Conns=     1, Conn_fails=     0, Conn_shuts=      0, Backoffs     =     0