What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 is now available for all supported Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello,

As for the newest (final) release of 388.1 please be aware / advise about this:

[*] updating AX routers with this fw will disable the Mesh wired connection !! Will only use wifi signal to connect to the mesh. Please take into debugging this as soon as possible if you can.
Even if you set up Backhaul Connection Priority to LAN will just ignore it and will not connect over cable.

Thanks !

In my case:

View attachment 45946View attachment 45948

PS: With 386.7_2 mesh can connect over LAN without any problems.
Are you sure? I have XD4s and they connect no problem. I did have to do a factory reset and re-add the mesh nodes though. Prior to that I had some odd behavior.

A good idea to run Asus factory firmware on the AiMesh nodes. And, do not force Ethernet backhaul as setting to wired backhaul can cause problems.
I too had to reset the nodes. What do you mean: “do not force Ethernet backhaul”? Ethernet backhaul does appear to work for me. And if it didn’t I would have to revert to asuswrt, because having Ethernet backhaul work is critical for my home network.

Hello,

As for the newest (final) release of 388.1 please be aware / advise about this:

[*] updating AX routers with this fw will disable the Mesh wired connection !! Will only use wifi signal to connect to the mesh. Please take into debugging this as soon as possible if you can.
Even if you set up Backhaul Connection Priority to LAN will just ignore it and will not connect over cable.

Thanks !

In my case:

View attachment 45946View attachment 45948

PS: With 386.7_2 mesh can connect over LAN without any problems.
I am not having this problem. You may want to do a factory reset and re-add your mesh nodes. I DID have to do that. But now everything is working properly over Ethernet.

388.1 has been working flawlessly on my GT-AX6000, only problems is not getting full upload speed on fibre connection, ive worked around this by changing lan port 1 to be the wan port. this hopefully will be fixed when merlin merges the 21617 sdk from stock asus firmware which fixes slow speeds on the 2.5g wan port.

I also get random disconnects on 388.1 on RT-AX86U as mentioned by a few people already. No additional configurations or or extra scripts. I have Fiber 1000/1000. Noticed it first with buffering on Apple TV, then my phone would randomly drop connections. Reverted back and all is fine again.

Try one last thing, after the rest and setup again, do an electrical reset, that is turn off power switch, unplug the router from power and turn on the power while unplugged. This bleads off all current in the hardware. Then power up and test.
Maybe I can try this at weekend.

Thanks again for support!

One of my IOT devices (ATAG ONE) refused to connect to my AX88U now I am on 388.1. The devices sees the SSID but does not connect (DHCP error).
After a factory settings reset, all works fine now

Last edited:
When I go to the Main Downloads site https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/ the link displays "RT-AX58U 2020-03-14"

This is what is currently running
1670595156715.png
Should I just click on Manual firmware update: Upload and all will be well? (That "Merlin" isn't in that phrase made it unclear, to me, if the ASUS or the Merlin version of the firmware update would be loaded. Thanks for all that you do!
1670595256288.png

When I go to the Main Downloads site https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/ the link displays "RT-AX58U 2020-03-14"

This is what is currently running View attachment 46144 Should I just click on Manual firmware update: Upload and all will be well? (That "Merlin" isn't in that phrase made it unclear, to me, if the ASUS or the Merlin version of the firmware update would be loaded. Thanks for all that you do!View attachment 46145
388.1_0 is there

388.1_0 is there
OK, I ignored the old date label and I see that it's in there, thanks!

I read on this forum someone referring to a "dirty USB update" - what is that about and is there a reason to prefer that method, please?

EDIT: Ran the update - all looks good. Thanks!

Last edited:
So..... after reflashing 388-1 again, hard resetting both units, reinstalling Diversion and Skynet and rebuilding the AIMesh (what a nightmare!) It finally has been running rocksolid up to 160Mhz @ band 40
iPad / iPhone throughputs up to 670mbit. So far, so good.

After several days with 388.1 on my RT-AX86u, I've reverted back to 386.7_2. Biggest issue was that 388.1 did not play well with my LG OLED on 5 GHz wifi. In the middle of streaming content, TV would disconnect from wireless, leaving me looking at a spinning wheel.
I just finished binge watching the 6th season of Better call Saul with an LG OLED (B6) forced on 5GHz with a RT-AX86U without any issue. The router and TV are anyway very near in my case.

I just finished binge watching the 6th season of Better call Saul with an LG OLED (B6) forced on 5GHz with a RT-AX86U without any issue. The router and TV are anyway very near in my case.
I have the same combination. Router and TV are about 20 feet apart from each other and I stream a lot and everything is 100% stable on the B6....

I have the same combination. Router and TV are about 20 feet apart from each other and I stream a lot and everything is 100% stable on the B6....
Similar setup with AX11000 running latest firmware and 5G1 on my SmartTVwith no issues. I remember when i was using 2 additional nodes within AiMesh mode, I had so many disconnect/wifi issues. Best thing i did was get rid of them!!!

5 days since the dirty upgade from 386.8, no problems and has been very stable. AX88U with two mesh nodes, AC88U and AC86U, both using latest stock FW. Love the updated Topolgy page with the Port status.
Many thanks Merlin
ax.png

Dirty flash from 387.2. I even remembered to unmount my USB flash drive! So far, so good. The USB drive was remounted without any action on my part. Is that typical? I couldn't remember from the last update 4 months ago. :) In any case, it's working as expected.

The only thing it didn't fix was my access to parental controls which disappeared spontaneously a couple months ago. I can turn it on but the normal menu doesn't show up and if I leave that screen and come back, it's off again. I previously reported this and none of the suggestions worked. It's not a huge deal but it is curious.

Still trying to figure out two problems with my AX88U that started with the first 388.1 build I tried (beta3) and are still present in this release:
  • odhcp6c doesn't seem to be running at startup, so there's no IPv6 prefix configuration. It works after I manually run service restart_net.
    Update: I checked the rc source and service start_dhcp6c seems to function as a workaround for me, with no negative side effects.
  • My WAN link aggregation on bond1 works fine initially, but after I run service restart_net, the eth1 interface stops receiving all traffic, including responses to LACP/LLDP (I checked with tcpdump). The eth0 interface continues to work, and both eth0 and eth1 report their link status as up:
    Code:
    admin@RT-AX88U-6030:/tmp/home/root# cat /proc/net/bonding/bond1
    Ethernet Channel Bonding Driver: v3.7.1 (April 27, 2011)

Bonding Mode: IEEE 802.3ad Dynamic link aggregation
    Transmit Hash Policy: layer3+4 (1)
    MII Status: up
    MII Polling Interval (ms): 100
    Up Delay (ms): 0
    Down Delay (ms): 0

802.3ad info
    LACP rate: fast
    Min links: 0
    Aggregator selection policy (ad_select): count
    Active Aggregator Info:
    Aggregator ID: 1
    Number of ports: 1
    Actor Key: 9
    Partner Key: 9
    Partner Mac Address: 02:10:18:xx:xx:xx

Slave Interface: eth0
    Speed: 1000 Mbps
    Duplex: full
    Link Failure Count: 0
    Permanent HW addr: 04:d4:c4:xx:xx:xx
    Slave queue ID: 0
    Aggregator ID: 1
    Actor Churn State: none
    Partner Churn State: none
    Actor Churned Count: 0
    Partner Churned Count: 0
    details actor lacp pdu:
    system priority: 0
    port key: 9
    port priority: 255
    port number: 1
    port state: 63
    details partner lacp pdu:
    system priority: 65535
    oper key: 9
    port number: 2
    port state: 61

Slave Interface: eth1
    Speed: 1000 Mbps
    Duplex: full
    Link Failure Count: 5
    Permanent HW addr: 04:d4:c4:xx:xx:xx
    Slave queue ID: 0
    Aggregator ID: 2
    Actor Churn State: churned
    Partner Churn State: churned
    Actor Churned Count: 2
    Partner Churned Count: 2
    details actor lacp pdu:
    system priority: 0
    port key: 9
    port number: 2
    port state: 71
    details partner lacp pdu:
    system priority: 65535
    oper key: 1
    port number: 1
    port state: 1

Last edited:
Dirty flashed my RT-AX86U no problems after 100hrs.

Thanks

I also get random disconnects on 388.1 on RT-AX86U as mentioned by a few people already. No additional configurations or or extra scripts. I have Fiber 1000/1000. Noticed it first with buffering on Apple TV, then my phone would randomly drop connections. Reverted back and all is fine again.
did you go forward to 388.1 after this and how did it work?

did you go forward to 388.1 after this and how did it work?
I'm back on 386.7_2 since I couldn't resolve the constant drops on 388.1. I tried flashing it twice and cutting power to it as well, but no luck. The only thing I haven't tried yet is a restore after flashing, since I read earlier that another person tried it and still had issues. Although I might try it anyway this weekend.