What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 is now available for all supported Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Good afternoon friend ! Bandwidth meter is not working correctly, but it is a problem I am having in the official firmware as well.
I noticed that too. Thank you for your confirmation!

Good afternoon everyone ! If I'm wrong in the way of posting I apologize. I'm on the latest version of merlin and I'm worried about the temperature of my router. could you tell me if this is right?
Legenda: 2,4 GHz - 5 GHz - CPU
Temperaturas atuais: 49 °C - 52 °C - 79 °C

Good afternoon everyone ! If I'm wrong in the way of posting I apologize. I'm on the latest version of merlin and I'm worried about the temperature of my router. could you tell me if this is right?
Legenda: 2,4 GHz - 5 GHz - CPU
Temperaturas atuais: 49 °C - 52 °C - 79 °C
That's all good. ;)

That's all good. ;)
Thanks for the information! as there was no basis on how normal temperatures were, I decided to ask to be sure, I have one more doubt, after I use asus-merlin can there be a risk of having problems when I go back to the default firmware of sus? or will he come back normally as he was?

Hi all, I have a strange problem with my gt ax 6000. I currently have merlin 388.1 installed but every time I try to put the stock firmware back (latest version) the router completes the update, restarts but nothing in the menu is selectable and therefore I can't configure it. I have tried several times to reset it before and after the stock firmware. The only way to see it working is to use the asus rescue tool by reloading the merlin firmware. Does anyone know how to help me get the stock firmware working again?

Just a tip maybe it helps.

peoples that experiencing or having drops with the wireless and internet connections.
If your house or apartment or room etc.

This is an awesome tip. 2 other issues I've had:

Exact same thing happened to me using Quad9 DoT on my AX6000 after upgrading to 388.1
Works for me. I've set DNS Privacy to use Quad 9, rebooted the router, and clients were able to do DNS queries normally, and dns leak tests confirmed I was using Quad 9.

AX88U now 5 days 11 hrs uptime. First impression was stable, but can confirm random wifi-dropouts - from laptop and samsung phone, at least when they are connected as AX-devices.
Have not checked when they connect as AC-devices.

Yeah, I came here just to see if others were having random WiFi dropouts. I've returned to 386.7_2 and will wait for another update and hope that fixes the issues. My issue is gone with 386.7_2.

Yeah, I came here just to see if others were having random WiFi dropouts. I've returned to 386.7_2 and will wait for another update and hope that fixes the issues. My issue is gone with 386.7_2.
I'm definitely receiving WiFi dropouts. In fact, ever since I've updated, streaming has been cutting in and out. On the positive end, wifi download speeds seem to be better (for some odd reason), but that might just be the reboot that happened after I updated. I flashed, rebooted, factory reset, and reconfigured basic settings - still having the same issues. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm definitely receiving WiFi dropouts. In fact, ever since I've updated, streaming has been cutting in and out. On the positive end, wifi download speeds seem to be better (for some odd reason), but that might just be the reboot that happened after I updated. I flashed, rebooted, factory reset, and reconfigured basic settings - still having the same issues. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Save your forehead
roll back your firmware
and
wait for the next release

With regard to wifi-dropouts AX88U.
Had ch 1 set on 2.4ghz. Reverted to Auto ch (which is on 3 now).
Have had no wifi-dropouts since (but that is only for one day so to short time to tell).

FWIW Zero WiFi Problems for me (including Zero dropouts etc) & that includes having both AC and AX devices on 5Ghz plus some older devices on 2.4Ghz No other issues for me either, with this Merlin 388.1 firmware release. The non-common factors aka the actual cause of issues for some firmware users but not others, must surely include; Different Router and ISP provision setups / settings, as opposed to being directly related, purely, to a firmware bug?

I have one more doubt, after I use asus-merlin can there be a risk of having problems when I go back to the default firmware of sus? or will he come back normally as he was?
Nothing will happen to your router using Asuswrt-Merlin. You can switch back to stock firmware when ever you want without consequence.

Did this yesterday and same result: bandwidth monitor is working for some minutes. While filling up my list with manually assigned IPs it stopped working. So I am back to 386.0. No it is working flawlessly.

@Clark Griswald : is QoS - WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor working for you? I guess not many user even look at it, that´s why I am asking you.

The Bandwidth monitor is not working for me either.

FWIW Zero WiFi Problems for me (including Zero dropouts etc) & that includes having both AC and AX devices on 5Ghz plus some older devices on 2.4Ghz No other issues for me either, with this Merlin 388.1 firmware release. The non-common factors aka the actual cause of issues for some firmware users but not others, must surely include; Different Router and ISP provision setups / settings, as opposed to being directly related, purely, to a firmware bug?
Could this be the reason?
388.1 is based on 388_21224, except for the RT-AX88U and GT-AX11000 which are based on a slightly older 388_20566 release.

This is an awesome tip. 2 other issues I've had:
That's why i do and make in the first place making the first router that handling the internet connection from ISP using only ethernet cable shielded STP cable even not unshielded UTP cable to eliminate all these bad unwanted EMI and wireless turned off.

From that router another cable shielded STP to the second AP router that has only wireless on, not using other features like aimesh etc.

All running excellent and perfect.

The Bandwidth monitor is not working for me either.
Now that it's been pointed out, mine either.
Not that it's giving me any problems, but thought I'd report it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
A datapoint.
AX86U, no scripts, add ons, etc.
Many (>10) IoT devices on 2.4 and <10 devices of all sorts on 5.
No dropouts, pauses, disconnects, etc.
I have done dirty upgrades from the last release through the alpha and betas.
I do manually set channels, only use 80 instead of 160.
Some of the IoT are hovering around -75 for signal strength.

Doesn't help those who do have the issues, but it almost couldn't be hardware. It's likely in the settings.

To everyone having WiFi issues (At least on AX86U, WiFi dropouts etc) After a bunch of tests:

It seems that setting the channel selection to auto broke the WiFi. If I select manually the channel all my WiFi problem disappears. Even if I select the same channel auto selected before. I only test the 5Ghz band

So to summarize:

On 388.1:
- Auto channel on -> Channel 60 auto selected -> WiFi Dropouts
- Auto channel off -> Channel 60 -> No WiFi dropouts
On 386.7_2:
- Auto channel on -> Channel 60 auto selected -> No WiFi dropouts
- Auto channel off -> Channel 60 -> No WiFi dropouts

I have also disabled WMM APSD under profesionnal tab in Wireless (On 5ghz too)

If someone can test it on their side and tell me if it fixes their WiFi too, we can report it to Asus

So my test setup in order to reproduce: Everything default except WMM and auto channel (160 Mhz activated + AX activated + WPA2/3)

I rolled my units back to 386.5_2 and everything including wifi is working better.