What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 is now available for all supported Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Anyone have any issues with mixed a AX router on 388 as main router and mesh AC routers on 386?
No problems at all during my tests.

It is 2.4 GHz also. Just wanted to clarify this, seen a few comments claiming it is only occurring on 5 GHz. I've replicated it on both, and fixed it on both by setting control channels manually.
Same. After setting both 2.4 and 5ghz to a manual channel, I have had zero wifi dropouts last 2 days.
Could really be that Auto-channel on 388.1 is the cause for dropouts.
Had zero dropouts with previous firmware 386.7_2 set to Auto on both 2.4 and 5ghz.
AX88U.

Sticking with RT-AX88U_386.7_2, as this series just fracks up everything on this router, more so my IPTV. So many random disconnects, Wi-Fi, and ethernet, despite wiping both router and my TV box. All great on 386.7_2, not a blip :)
Yes, same here, I have a GT-AX6000 which worked perfectly fine on 386_7_2 then updated to 388_1 and so many random disconnects on both Wi-Fi and ethernet.

So correct me if I'm wrong but no "easy" downgrading back to the previous firmware? I had to re-install the Asus firmware, and then reinstall the 386_7_2 version again (as hard reset brings it back to 388_1)

Disastrous upgrade with my RT-AX88U router (loss of Internet, ect). I had to revert back to the 386 firmware and restore many of my settings manually, even though I had a backup configuration for that firmware version. It took me several hours to get everything back to normal, in between doing many other domestic tasks, so I won't be upgrading again in a hurry.

Same experience here.
I'll wait for the 388.1_2 or whatever.
The 386.8 version has been rock solid for 121 days ! No problems to LAN/WAN/WIFI/VPN :
Sans titre 3.png
Sans titre 1.png

However, thanks again to Merlin and the devoloppers for their titanic work ;)

Last edited:
I had to re-install the Asus firmware, and then reinstall the 386_7_2 version again (as hard reset brings it back to 388_1)
You don´t have to go to stock. Just flash Merlin 386, factory reset (WPS-reset if you want to be "saver") then restore your settings (and jffs-backup) if you´ve got both.
Last days I switched many times between 388 and 386...

Good morning everyone.

I updated my RT-AX86U to Asuswrt Merlin 388.1 last week with no issues.

The only thing is that I have a couple of remote Wireguard clients, that I route through the own router's Wireguard client to my VPN supplier. This works well, but I cannot acces the router's LAN nor the router itself from these remote Wireguard clients, even though I've ticked the 'Access Intranet' button, as shown in the image below.

1671016762607.png

Can someone help me, please?

Edit: I've found that I have to stop Wireguard Session Manager Add-on if I want to connect to my router's LAN over router's GUI Wireguard Server.

Last edited:
I have a ax86u and no aimash mixed with 2 wired ac accesponts. I have no problem at all. Everything is on auto on both 2.4 and 5 ghz bands

Last edited:
I reloaded 388.1, did a reset, reconfigured everything manually and set manual wifi channels. So far, everything has been working great for last 18 hours.

AX86U - 10th day and no problems to report. No wifi or ethernet drops...but I dont use ai mesh..just one wired ap.

I have a ax86u and no aimash mixed with 2 wired ac accesponts. I have no problem at all. Everything is on auto on both 2.4 and 5 ghz bands
That sounds like a clean installation. Have you considered turning off Wireless on AX86U to remove the wireless boogey man from your primary router?

Anyone have any issues with mixed a AX router on 388 as main router and mesh AC routers on 386?
I have not experienced any issues.

Thank you BreakingDad.
Unfortunately I have been getting these errors for the last few updates. Shame .... this and the 160 bug are quite annoying.
I've not had that message once since 388.1, and I'm not sure it's a bug, it's just a message on logs, ignore it.

That sounds like a clean installation. Have you considered turning off Wireless on AX86U to remove the wireless boogey man from your primary router?

yes, it was indeed a clean install. Everything works as it should. So I don't plan to change something actually

FYI, for anyone that was having issues with DoT and ControlD, it looks like they have fixed the issue and all is well again according to my testing.

Have updated my 2 RT-AX88U to 388.1, I also have a RT-AC66U B1 as a node. One of the RT-AX88U is also a node.
A lot of problems, but after reset every router to Factory Default, and set them up again, it runs very stable so far.
There is some small problems:
- When I turn of the LED's the turn on again after some hours, the I can turn them of again ...
- In System Log - Wireless Log only devices from the main router is shown, not any devices from the nodes.

In System Log - Wireless Log only devices from the main router is shown, not any devices from the nodes.
This is normal, the router queries its own radio for a list of associated clients, it has no access to the info from other nodes' own radios.

After some time attempting to troubleshoot I was unable to get it working so I had to roll back to the previous version, which is a bummer since this build is a pretty neat work from @RMerlin (Thank you)!!!

I’m not sure the firmware update is the sole culprit here since other DoT providers work just fine with 388.1, I’m guessing that ControlD’s DoT implementation is different than let’s say, NextDNS or AdGuard 2.0, and that is generating now a conflict with something that changed with the new firmware build.

In my case I like the granularity and extra features I can get with ControlD so I decided I would stay on the previous firmware with it working rather than on the new firmware but using NextDNS.
I can confirm this has been now fixed by the ControlD team, no longer have to choose between upgrading or CD!!!

I can confirm ControlD is working with 388.1 as of today, going strong for several hours now, no issues. Everyone who was having issues prior should be good to go and upgrade now.

DoT doesn't work with Control D on 388.1 on my RT-AX88U.

I couldn't get an Internet connection from any device using the router's DNS server.
Devices and browsers using DoH were unable to connect either.
The only exception is my laptop using dnscrypt-proxy.

I reverted to 386.8 and everything works as expected.

Several Control D users have reported this issue.

Is anyone else having this issue?
I can confirm this has been now fixed by the ControlD team, you should be good to upgrade now.