What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 is now available for all supported Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I was thinking about buying an AX55 for a AiMesh node, would I need to flash it with Merlin if it's supported?
No, it's not a must, as a node.

According to RMerlin and a lot of other people, dirty upgrade shouldn't be an issue
It shouldn't be an issue if you didnt tweak/install scripts too much previously imo. But factory/jffs reset definitely have my AX86U running smoothly. Probably all the wrong codes I inserted by mistake last time lol

Screen shots work fine. Backing up specific nvram values speeds things up too. I don't get what is so hard. :rolleyes:
to make those screenshots :D record screen as Video is faster...but really its a pain in the butt to manually reconfig everything, VPNs...hate it.

Found also way to backup Devices this helps a lot, but still extra work to do if u have multiple releases within a year.

If someone has just basic settings, has of course less work to do

Last edited:
to make those screenshots :D record screen as Video is faster...but really its a pain in the butt to manually reconfig everything, VPNs...hate it.

Found also way to backup Devices this helps a lot, but still extra work to do if u have multiple releases within a year.

If someone has just basic settings, has of course let work to do
I made myself a numbered list of everything I have to do after a full reset, having that helps to make the process more quickly. But writing it took awhile.

I disagree: most problems can be avoided with a clean update.
I agree that a clean update is better, but reconfiguring every time an new update is released cost a lot of time. Downtime of your network, downtime of smartdevices, downtime of automated stuff, ...
So there must be a better way to do a clean update. Anyone?

Screen shots work fine. Backing up specific nvram values speeds things up too. I don't get what is so hard. :rolleyes:
It is harder than that because I have a mesh system so I have to revert back to stock. Configure mesh and the upgrade to Merlin. Mesh is not detected when starting fresh from merlin

Latest fw release on Main plus Latest alpha on AP are working well with zero issues.
I have teenagers home, so need to look at LOGS. If anything was wrong I would've heard about the issue(s) within seconds.

It is harder than that because I have a mesh system so I have to revert back to stock. Configure mesh and the upgrade to Merlin. Mesh is not detected when starting fresh from merlin
Leave the node as stock, it doesn't have to be RMerlin for any reason at all.

Latest fw release on Main plus Latest alpha on AP are working well with zero issues.
I have teenagers home, so need to look at LOGS. If anything was wrong I would've heard about the issue(s) within seconds.
Not an concerning issue for me but of the 4 times I have needed to reboot my (new) GT-AX6000 after having make changes (format a USB drive, and install add-ons), 3 times nothing happened after having click OK on confirmation pop-up window. This was easily fixed by login out then login back all three times that this happened.

I was wondering if other GT-AX6000 have also noticed it.

Leave the node as stock, it doesn't have to be RMerlin for any reason at all.

No reason the nodes can't be on Merlin as well. Mine are and always have been whether RT-AC5300s or, now, GT-AX11000s. The main routers were both on Merlin when I originally added the nodes, too. No problems at all.

Don't know why I continually see this being suggested. I get that the AIMesh code is closed-source and so out of @RMerlin's control, but that doesn't inherently mean there's an incompatibility somewhere.

Are you guys making sure WPS is still enabled initially? That's needed for the node discovery but can be disabled again once they're linked.

I was thinking about buying an AX55 for an AiMesh node, would I need to flash it with Merlin if it's supported?
The AX55 is not supported AFAIK. I have one set up as a wireless mesh node with the stock firmware. Works great for me.

Don't know why I continually see this being suggested. I get that the AIMesh code is closed-source and so out of @RMerlin's control, but that doesn't inherently mean there's an incompatibility somewhere.
The OP is using an AX55U which is not supported by RMerlin. Therefore, being it's not an option, stock firmware will do fine.

Okay, I did a full reset but now I cannot ssh into the device .SSH is enable (lan-only) I know the port and ipadress.
I find in the log: dropbear: early exit: bad buf_getptr

Rebooted, turned off device, ... nothing helps

Okay, I did a full reset but now I cannot ssh into the device .SSH is enable (lan-only) I know the port and ipadress.
I find in the log: dropbear: early exit: bad buf_getptr

Rebooted, turned off device, ... nothing helps
I know it sucks but it likely needs another reset.

Going from a 384 version to this one, on a AX88U, do I need to reset config to default?

Going from a 384 version to this one, on a AX88U, do I need to reset config to default?
Some say yes, some say its not necessary. Being one of the few with zero problems I say definitely yes - especially with such a large upgrade.

Some say yes, some say its not necessary. Being one of the few with zero problems I say definitely yes - especially with such a large upgrade.
Is it a middle-road solution to export and import settings again? That will not mess up anything will it?