What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 388.2 Beta is now available for Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have symmetic bandwidth 1G fiber with AT&T. Under normal conditions the PC/Ookla Speedtest comes back at ~930Mbs +/- 10Mbps and so does the router whether SPDMerlin or it's own Speedtest.

At random times, the SpeedTest results at the router whether using SPDMerlin or the it's own Speedtest the results come back asymetrical, ~410Mbps +/- 40Mbps on the down and ~650Mbps +/- 50Mbps on the up. I've yet to correlate anything in the log (running Scribe) at the time window that issue happens in. What I can say is that only a reboot fixes it back to normal, so far. Restarting the WAN interface or AT&T modem does not fix it, only a reboot at the router, does not look to be carrier related. When this happens WiFi gets hit as well, and Speedtest results drop by ~150Mbs, but with asymmetrical results where the down is lower than the up. But on the wired devices, its a consistent ~930Mbs +/- 10Mbps in both directions regardless of this drop. This also happend to me with the 388.1 releases but with so many WiFi issues with that release this took a back seat, all the TV's and streaming boxes are wired sny way. But its happening again, before I HW reset the AX88 router and start from scratch, curious if anyone else has run into this situation. Thinking I may just reboot the router and monitor it to capture the different logs at the time the router goes into limp mode, instead. I've yet to disable Skynet temporarily to eliminate it. Plenty of RAM on the router, and CPU is in the single digits also no QoS at play either. Trying to find/locate/capture the bandwidth drop in the log. Looking for way of fixing this without a reboot, but no luck so far.

Looks like this in SPDMerlin, very easy to see normal/abnormal conditions.
View attachment 48863

From a Scibe/UIScribe perspective, these filters are active
View attachment 48864

Any ideas?
Update: When I disable Skynet temporarily, the Speedtest results go up a 100Mbps. When I uninstall it, the results go up 200Mbps. Testing at the PC and the BGW210-700 - both in the +940Mbps in both directions. Skynet is using its default lists and only blocking inbound, all scripts and entware are current, RAM around 75%, no other red flags. But it appears that something comes on to drop the results at the router without impacting the wired clients but Wireless and the router see the reduction in bandwith. Conversely the increase as well as the asymetric results. Going to do a reboot later today, which will fix it. Just to make sure it's not something else that's causing this. Again this was also happenning to me in 388.1 but with all the WiFi issues this took a back seat since it wasn't impacting the wired clients. When I reverted back to the 386.8 release this didn't surface, so I forgot about it.

At the right end, you can see the impact of disabling the uninstalling Skynet, and the asymetrical results. Not making any conclusions on anything yet just observations and results as I try different things.
1679782214844.png

Still seems odd to me how only the router and WiFi clients see the impacts. After the reboot I'll take note of all everything running on the router (top) and if the drop happens another snapshot and compare differences to try and narrow down my issue.

Any other things to try and ways to dig into this?

Installed on GT-AXE1600 over stock. Did a reset and setup as normal. Nothing fancy.
About 45 connections no VPN. ALL my Apple devices would not connect as well as my Alarm.com video doorbell. Very strange. I did another factory reset, set up my SSID's as I did many times again. Same result any ideas?

I then installed the Stock Firmware. Factor reset set up as normal. Everything connects perfectly.

Can I just install Beta 1 over the stock firmware with no reset? Maybe that may work but not sure.

CC

I remember reading a thread recently that there is a beta firmware from Asus that resolves the Apple device connection issue on the GT-AXE16000 but it's a different GPL than what 388.2 will have, so I wouldn't expect this release to include those fixes

EDIT: This is thread I was talking about

Last edited:
I remember reading a thread recently that there is a beta firmware from Asus that resolves the Apple device connection issue on the GT-AXE16000 but it's a different GPL than what 388.2 will have, so I wouldn't expect this release to include those fixes

EDIT: This is thread I was talking about

The only thing I can say that may discount this is the released 22525 firmware works perfectly. It should be the same base as the Beta 1. Why does it work on the stock and not Merlin release?

CC

Ah okay, because I have a Google Cloud wireguard VPN running, google cloud only does 1460 mtu, and connecting via AX86U default 1420 MTU wireguard, like 80% of the websites are not loading, if I do wireguard client on my Mac (AX86U router is on my ISP internet not vpn), and set it to 1380 MTU, all websites load fine and speed is fast, just wish there was a section to change wireguard MTU.
Just wanted to update anyone having this problem, since the wireguard client in Merlin 388.1 defaults to MTU 1420 (and no way to change it), and Google Cloud VPN is defaulting to 1460, I had to do another VPC connection, and when making it from scratch I had to choose MTU 1500, then make my VM instance use the new VPC at MTU 1500, now in Asus Merlin router AX86U, I am able to connect to Google Cloud VPN no problem at all, this is just FYI post, thanks :)

Update: When I disable Skynet temporarily, the Speedtest results go up a 100Mbps. When I uninstall it, the results go up 200Mbps. Testing at the PC and the BGW210-700 - both in the +940Mbps in both directions. Skynet is using its default lists and only blocking inbound, all scripts and entware are current, RAM around 75%, no other red flags. But it appears that something comes on to drop the results at the router without impacting the wired clients but Wireless and the router see the reduction in bandwith. Conversely the increase as well as the asymetric results. Going to do a reboot later today, which will fix it. Just to make sure it's not something else that's causing this. Again this was also happenning to me in 388.1 but with all the WiFi issues this took a back seat since it wasn't impacting the wired clients. When I reverted back to the 386.8 release this didn't surface, so I forgot about it.

At the right end, you can see the impact of disabling the uninstalling Skynet, and the asymetrical results. Not making any conclusions on anything yet just observations and results as I try different things.
View attachment 48877

Still seems odd to me how only the router and WiFi clients see the impacts. After the reboot I'll take note of all everything running on the router (top) and if the drop happens another snapshot and compare differences to try and narrow down my issue.

Any other things to try and ways to dig into this?
The only thing I can think of with skynet is that it relies on iptables, which can be pretty cpu intensive. Packet processing would experience extra slow downs.

Not sure whether it’s 388.2 related and it might be coincidentally, but last night DST went into effect where I live and since then my router cannot ping any wireless device (the router runs a script that checks reachability every hour and sends a push notification to my iPhone in case of errors; it’s getting pretty annoying by now).

However, I can still SSH into those devices and then successfully ping the router.

What could be wrong?

How can I fix this without rebooting the router?

(I already tried ”restarting the WiFi” (service) using scMerlin)

HI, i dont know how can change the Association of my wifi in aimesh. I want connect the wifi C (ax82u) to wifi B (ax11000 at 160mhz), but aimesh all time change to wifi A (ax11000 at 80mhz). The mesh its connected with wire, so i think dont need connect to 5ghz-2 (wifi A) and use backhaul. Maybe am wronge if can help me with this, cuz i want wifi A (5ghz-2 in 80mhz cuz dont let me now change to 160mhz, and wifi B and C at 160mhz (5ghz ax11000, 5ghz ax82u).

WIFI CHANGE.png

There is an issue in the latest beta with OpenVpn when ipv6 is disabled. I found in some discussion that "we now trigger a fatal error if changing the metric for ipv6 interface fails" and "I always get surprised by 'IPv6 might be disabled'...". It should be fixed in 2.6.2.

Not sure whether it’s 388.2 related and it might be coincidentally, but last night DST went into effect where I live and since then my router cannot ping any wireless device (the router runs a script that checks reachability every hour and sends a push notification to my iPhone in case of errors; it’s getting pretty annoying by now).

However, I can still SSH into those devices and then successfully ping the router.

What could be wrong?

How can I fix this without rebooting the router?

(I already tried ”restarting the WiFi” (service) using scMerlin)
It's imperitve that the DST Settings be correct. Are those correct?

Running beta1 for almost 4 days (without restart) after a dirty upgrade from alpha2 to on a RT-AX86U as main router. Didn't notice any networking errors. However sometimes the UI crashes as mentioned earlier in this thread but that automatically recovers itself and has no effect to the network. Also in the list for DHCP settings, if scrolling through the page or editing stuff, the most left column starts to show "New device" instead of the name that is previously entered on older items. After a refresh everything is properly shown again. These issues where also noticable in alpha2.

Last edited:
There is no "time component" to pings so DST should not matter. However, when the DST change happens the router restarts the WAN interface and any dependent services (e.g. firewall, dnsmasq, etc.). So if you've got some custom scripts that affect routing for example (YazFi?) that might be the problem. I'm assuming you're pinging by IP address rather than hostname. P.S. I've just checked my wireless devices and they're all pingable as normal.

I'm assuming you're pinging by IP address rather than hostname
I tried both. They both fail.

However, when the DST change happens the router restarts the WAN interface and any dependent services (e.g. firewall, dnsmasq, etc.).
I do indeed see in the logs that the firewall and some other stuff restarted at 3:00, but the only errors after that are for the ASUS DDNS service.

Since I changed routers I also have a new root certificate. I will try to update that on my iOS devices later this week to see whether IPSec VPN does work then.
Took me some time to do it right, but happy to report that IPSec and IKEv2 are both working now.

You have a rogue DHCP server running on your LAN, you need to locate it, and disable it.
To wrap this up (and absolve the AX88U Pro and Asuswrt-merlin of any blame!!!!) I found the rogue dhcp server.
There is a project called PGenerator - a bit perfect video pattern generator based on Rpi 4.
Works great. But - it had a bug where even though it was plugged into a lan port on the router and getting a IP from the router - it left dnsmasq enabled for serving addresses. The dev is fixing this now.
As a side, I didn’t see this issue with my older AX88U. I am guessing that 388.2 is enabling DHCP a little later on the AX88U Pro - and a window exists after the radios are enabled. A very short window.

Sorry for even doubting Asuswrt-merlin!!!

Successful dirty upgrade from 388.2 alpha to 388.2 beta1 running for more than a day now (late to the update).
Note that there is a chance that 388.2 may possibly be the last release for the RT-AX56U, as Asus opted not to move this model to the 388 codebase, meaning that they cannot guarantee that future 388 GPLs for this model will be possible.

If I drop the RT-AX56U in the future, I will probably drop support for the RT-AX58U at the same time, due to the constant confusion from users between the supported V1 model and the unsupported V2 model. Since V1 hasn`t been sold in quite a while now and it never was a very popular model, it makes limited sense to still be supporting that V1 model for the long run.

Therefore, future support for these two models will depend on how long Asus will be able to provide me with working GPLs for the RT-AX56U.
Interestingly, Asus has, after a long time, posted the 388.22525 GPL on the RT-AX3000 support page. Neither the RT-AX56U nor the RT-AX58U have the GPL posted to their support pages. So, maybe if you drop the RT-AX56/8Us, you can keep supporting the RT-AX3000 ;-)? Did the RT-AX3000 ever get the V2, like the RT-AX58U did?

Thanks, as always, for the hard work, @RMerlin!

P.S. Yes, I know that the firmware files for the RT-AX58U V1 and RT-AX3000 are identical. But the RT-AX3000 is still available for purchase new and I was wondering if what was available now is un-Merlin-able like the RT-AX58U V2. (Later edit: Scanning the contents of the GPL, there is a model RT-AX3000N which, in one directory, maps via a symbolic link to the RT-AX55, the same as the RT-AX58U_V2 does.)

Last edited:
Has anyone running this firmware had success in mounting a remote smb share?

Using this command:

Code:
mkdir -p /tmp/mnt/HomerNAS
/bin/mount -v \\\\192.168.1.211\\Multimedia /tmp/mnt/HomerNAS -t cifs -o "vers=2.1,username=auser,password=apassword"

I keep getting failed: Permission Denied

I have tried vers=2.0, vers=1.0 and removed the vers option all together.

This command had worked on older firmwares:

Code:
mkdir -p /tmp/mnt/HomerNAS
/bin/mount -v \\\\192.168.1.211\\Multimedia /tmp/mnt/HomerNAS -t cifs -o "username=auser,password=apassword"

Been running for 5 days with no issues. Installed a few addons yesterday: Entware, Skynet, YazFi, YazDHCP, scMerlin. Everything looks good. No unusual errors in log, 60% memory, CPU idling and temps low.

Status
Not open for further replies.