What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 388.2 Beta is now available for Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A0454CE1-6C02-441A-A36B-0297C0DAE4CE.jpeg

Under AImesh isn’t phy rate and data rate support to show something. Noticed this in the past always showed 0 at least under phy rate.

EC511CB3-F630-48F7-8683-3C203071437F.jpeg

Seems like Diversion is broken in the beta. Can’t install it for some reason, my entware works fine. Noticed on the alpha it made me reinstall diversion now it just won’t install.

Edit:

Wait maybe my usb isn’t working.. why hm.
CEBC6749-6FC2-4CDF-802F-1B2BC1946204.jpeg

Edit 2: aaand it’s back working after a reboot. Odd will watch if it goes down again.

Last edited:
Thank you for new beta builds.

I have updated my two router and it's working fine.
I'm using wifi backhaul on 4(ax) 160Mhz channel 64/160 and working just fine.
Needed reboot to get master and node syncing with eachother.
Seems stable so far.
I get problem with speed on my vpn client 1 and it turned out that "compress" is depreciated. I had to turn off "compress"
Note: Options like --comp-lzo and --compress are ALL now deprecated, so do not use them.

Smooth upgrade from 388.1 on my RTAX86U and running fine for over 4hrs. No wifi drops, no aimesh issues

what are these errors
Mar 20 23:47:19 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0x1005 (5) for reason APCS_CSTIMER
Mar 21 00:16:25 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0x1005 (5) for reason APCS_CSTIMER
Mar 21 00:45:33 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0x1005 (5) for reason APCS_CSTIMER
Mar 21 01:14:39 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0x1005 (5) for reason APCS_CSTIMER
Mar 21 01:43:42 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0x1005 (5) for reason APCS_CSTIMER
Mar 21 02:12:56 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0x1008 (8) for reason APCS_CSTIMER
Mar 21 02:42:04 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0x1005 (5) for reason APCS_CSTIMER
Mar 21 03:40:17 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0x1005 (5) for reason APCS_CSTIMER
Mar 21 04:09:23 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0x1005 (5) for reason APCS_CSTIMER
Mar 21 04:38:33 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0x1005 (5) for reason APCS_CSTIMER
Mar 21 05:07:41 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0x1005 (5) for reason APCS_CSTIMER
Mar 21 05:36:44 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0x1008 (8) for reason APCS_CSTIMER
Mar 21 06:05:54 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0x1005 (5) for reason APCS_CSTIMER
Mar 21 06:35:02 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0x1005 (5) for reason APCS_CSTIMER
Mar 21 07:33:15 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0x100c (12) for reason APCS_CSTIMER
Mar 21 08:02:25 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0x1008 (8) for reason APCS_CSTIMER
Mar 21 08:31:33 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0x1005 (5) for reason APCS_CSTIMER
Mar 21 09:00:40 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0x100d (13) for reason APCS_CSTIMER
Mar 21 09:29:43 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0x100c (12) for reason APCS_CSTIMER

Dirty upgrade from last night from 386.7_2 (388.1 didn't work for me)
It's been running for 14 hours so far without problems.

Are changes included in this beta according to the information in the link ?

If I drop the RT-AX56U in the future, I will probably drop support for the RT-AX58U at the same time, due to the constant confusion from users between the supported V1 model and the unsupported V2 model. Since V1 hasn`t been sold in quite a while now and it never was a very popular model, it makes limited sense to still be supporting that V1 model for the long run.

Therefore, future support for these two models will depend on how long Asus will be able to provide me with working GPLs for the RT-AX56U.
First of all just one word @RMerlin, thanks

the fact of dropping support for the rt-ax58u for me is a blow to the heart, I have two, one mine and one from my parents.
I understand the reason and at this point I organize myself in time for the possible disposal of the fantastic FW merlin support.

Now having already an AX device it would not seem the case to take another AX, even if my choice would be on the ax88u or ax88u pro, even if they are a bit expensive.

An alternative would be the GT-AXE11000, but at this point I don't know whether to wait for the BE ones for wifi7.

What would you do in my place?

@RMerlin, theoretically, if RT-AX56U is no longer supported, what is the best strategy to keep the router with the most up-to-date security fixes? The most recent official firmware for this model was released on 2022/06/23, and possibly there will be no other releases. Would it be possible to occasionally, maybe once a year, get maintenance Merlin's 388 releases for RT-AX56U where only critical libraries are updated?

I have to say if the AX58U is dropped it will super suck.
I have myself 4 of these units they are small work good and run cool.
I have lots of family that have them also that I keep updated.

Asuswrt-Merlin 388.2 beta is now available for all Wifi 6 models, except for the XT12 (GPL not available yet for this model due to issues Asus are working on).

The focus of this release is the merge with a new GPL, and the addition of the RT-AX88U Pro.

Note that there is a chance that 388.2 may possibly be the last release for the RT-AX56U, as Asus opted not to move this model to the 388 codebase, meaning that they cannot guarantee that future 388 GPLs for this model will be possible.

If I drop the RT-AX56U in the future, I will probably drop support for the RT-AX58U at the same time, due to the constant confusion from users between the supported V1 model and the unsupported V2 model. Since V1 hasn`t been sold in quite a while now and it never was a very popular model, it makes limited sense to still be supporting that V1 model for the long run.

Therefore, future support for these two models will depend on how long Asus will be able to provide me with working GPLs for the RT-AX56U.

Changes in 388.2:

Code:
  - NEW: Added support for the RT-AX88U Pro.
  - NEW: Merged with GPL 388_22525.
  - NEW: Added Site Survey page under Network Tools tab.
         This is the same network scan that is available
         for pre-HND models, with Wifi 6E support added.
  - UPDATED: dnsmasq to 2.89.
  - UPDATED: openvpn to 2.6.1.  If your client fails to
             connect then your custom settings must
             contain settings no longer supported by
             OpenVPN 2.6.  Review the System Log,
             then remove unsupported settings that are
             reported in your log.
  - UPDATED: nettle to 3.8.1.
  - UPDATED: inadyn to 2.10.0.
  - UPDATED: dropbear to 2022.83.
  - UPDATED: miniupnpd to 2.3.3.
  - UPDATED: openssl to 1.1.1t.
  - CHANGED: moved WiFi Radar to the Network Tools tab.
  - CHANGED: Disabled auto logout on System Log and
             Wireless Log pages.
  - CHANGED: Reduced EDNS packet size from 1280 to 1232
             bytes in dnsmasq, to better work with some
             upstream servers not fully supporting EDNS0.
  - CHANGED: Allow empty fields on WireGuard Client page
             if the client is disabled.  This allow users
             to manually clear settings when they are
             no longer using a client.
  - FIXED: NTP redirection wouldn't work properly with
           Guest Network, removed fredirection for these.
  - FIXED: Added missing Tools icon on ROG UI (icon
           contributed by Cody).

Please keep the feedback on this specific beta release.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.
This line from release note:
CHANGED: Reduced EDNS packet size from 1280 to 1232
bytes in dnsmasq, to better work with some
upstream servers not fully supporting EDNS0.
Is this in conflict with Simon Kelleys commit 13 days ago?

Other than the question above I'm very happy with this firware in AX6000, it solves my 2.5WAN port and moca streaming network problems. Good stable firmware so far! Thank you!

Last edited:
As far as I can tell there are many RT-AX58U v1 users lurking around here, including myself. May I ask how does the download numbers look compared to other AX models? Because of re-downloads/reinstalls those numbers should be taken with a grain of salt, yet they still might give an idea.

Upon updating 388.1 to 388.2 beta it killed my open vpn clients on my AX86u, and it was not blocking my network while the vpn was down which I had set. ! attempted to fix open vpn connect client, but would just not connect at all for the life of me tried several settings, had to roll back to 388.1, it immediately restored my connection, all was working again. It was the only issue I noticed right off.

Upon updating 388.1 to 388.2 beta it killed my open vpn clients on my AX86u, and it was not blocking my network while the vpn was down which I had set. ! attempted to fix open vpn connect client, but would just not connect at all for the life of me tried several settings, had to roll back to 388.1, it immediately restored my connection, all was working again. It was the only issue I noticed right off.
Check you log for vpn errors, some settings are depreciated.

Are changes included in this beta according to the information in the link ?
Yes, they were part of the 22525 GPL merge, that's why it wasn't explicitly called out in the changelog.

@RMerlin, theoretically, if RT-AX56U is no longer supported, what is the best strategy to keep the router with the most up-to-date security fixes? The most recent official firmware for this model was released on 2022/06/23, and possibly there will be no other releases.
Asus hasn't officially put it on the EOL list, so I expect them to still release updates for it. These lower end models just don't get as frequent updates as their higher end ones.

Would it be possible to occasionally, maybe once a year, get maintenance Merlin's 388 releases for RT-AX56U where only critical libraries are updated?
Too much work required, as code would have to be forked from other models to stay on that GPL codebase, and maintained separately. I already have two branches to handle (386 and main master), and might be facing a third major branch in the future with the 3.0.0.6 codebase - I don't have the time to handle four branches on my own, sorry. Two is already one more than I would like quite frankly, and I seriously have no idea how I will deal with the 3.0.0.6 branch once it comes. I will have some tough decisions to make then.

Is this in conflict with Simon Kelleys commit 13 days ago?
Not in conflict - this is the exact same change Simon did, except that he hasn't released a version with that new default value yet, so I'm updating it manually.

May I ask how does the download numbers look compared to other AX models? Because of re-downloads/reinstalls those numbers should be taken with a grain of salt, yet they still might give an idea.
Hard to truly compare since a lot of the other AX models are newer, and therefore don't have a well established userbase yet. Also consider that quite a few of these downloads are probably users who downloaded it without knowing it wouldn't work on their hardwre revision.

Read the changelog...

As far as I can tell there are many RT-AX58U v1

I'm one. I love it as an AP.
While I'm not too fussed about updates as it is and will always be behind my router, how long has it been since I bought this? Doesn't seem like it should be EOL.

Performed dirty upgrades on my 2 mesh routers last night. Master is RT-AX6000 and node is RT-AX88u. No problems with upgrade and everything is operating better than with 388.1 My mesh mapping looks correct and now devices are connecting to the router that it is closest to. That is something that has never worked correctly for me in the past. Nice to see. I use an ethernet backhaul for my mesh.
I have been up and running for a good 12 hours now without any issues.

The only thing I will report is an issue that ASUS has never fixed with Client View List table when on the Network Map page. Real time data for Tx and Rx and Access Time now only displays and updates for the master. Previous release showed the node devices, but they never showed anything in real time. Would be nice if ASUS would fix this so real time for all connected devices on master and node are shown. This worked about a year and a half ago. Keep reporting to ASUS, but they don`t fix. Eric maybe you can get them to fix this.

One thing I do after any firmware updates is to follow this procedure.
Let run for about an hour.
Power down and unplug power cord to routers for at least a minute. Start with node first.
Plug power into node and power up. wait till it comes up.
Repeat for master.
Check connected devices to make sure they are working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!