What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 388.2 Beta is now available for Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Download stats mean nothing. I download once (per model), and install for many same/similar model units.

Yes, they were part of the 22525 GPL merge, that's why it wasn't explicitly called out in the changelog.

Asus hasn't officially put it on the EOL list, so I expect them to still release updates for it. These lower end models just don't get as frequent updates as their higher end ones.

Too much work required, as code would have to be forked from other models to stay on that GPL codebase, and maintained separately. I already have two branches to handle (386 and main master), and might be facing a third major branch in the future with the 3.0.0.6 codebase - I don't have the time to handle four branches on my own, sorry. Two is already one more than I would like quite frankly, and I seriously have no idea how I will deal with the 3.0.0.6 branch once it comes. I will have some tough decisions to make then.

Not in conflict - this is the exact same change Simon did, except that he hasn't released a version with that new default value yet, so I'm updating it manually.

Hard to truly compare since a lot of the other AX models are newer, and therefore don't have a well established userbase yet. Also consider that quite a few of these downloads are probably users who downloaded it without knowing it wouldn't work on their hardwre revision.

Read the changelog...
Thanks, I missed checking the change log, Thanks @RMerlin Found the one setting that killed open vpn (ncp-disable) for anyone else.

Last edited:
Another smooth upgrade for me, from Alpha2 to Beta1 this time, followed by a standard re-boot after 30mins.
No faults or glitches that I've seen or become aware of in the last 11 hours that it's been running since the re-boot.
Thanks again @RMerlin

Updated my AX68U from 388.1 with no issues. Shut off my cron jon to kill networkmap every night and we will see if ASUS has fixed that problem.
Still only left with a small chunk of RAM free if anything that uses the Trend Micro engine is enabled. Turning off SMB made no difference.
As long as it stays stable and doesn't start going to swap we should be good to go.

While it would feel good to have some more free RAM I will assume the OS is properly handling the memory management.

Download stats mean nothing. I download once (per model), and install for many same/similar model units.

And that makes you a user/owner of all those models.

My intention was not trying to find out how many units out there running Asuswrt-Merlin by looking at the stats, I'm trying to have an idea about the ratio of users. There's a margin of error because some users might download the same firmware multiple times for a single unit and some just once for multiple units (such as yourself) but that error applies to all models and users so can be ignored from a point of statistical view. So, download stats doesn't mean nothing, they do mean something but should be taken with a grain of salt especially for RT-AX58U because of v2 users trying to download v1 firmware, as Merlin mentioned.

Back to the topic: a dirty upgrade from alpha1 to the latest beta was seamless, all systems are up and running, nothing fancy in the syslog so far. Thank you for your work @RMerlin and I sincerely hope to see your firmware support RT-AX58U in the
upcoming years.

Thanks for the update for the RT-AX88U! I didn't know they had release a Pro model. After looking up the specs of the Pro model. I'm kind of disappointed. No longer having 8 ports seems like a downgrade and they still only run at 1Gb. I was hoping to see an update for this model that kept all the ports and they all ran at 2.5Gb and it added support for WiFi 6E. *sigh*

This exactly I have 12 routers to update but I only download 1 file.
So the stats on SF don't reflect a lot of Downloads I am sure.

I was hoping to see an update for this model that kept all the ports and they all ran at 2.5Gb
Broadcom's chip does support more than three multigig ports, including the WAN port. You will have to wait for Wifi 7 hardware for that.

and it added support for WiFi 6E.

The RT-AX88U family is a dual band router. If you want tri-band, that's a different product - the RT-AXE7800.

Can someone that uses Link Aggregation LACP 802.3ad let me know if it works? Only thing holding me back from updating as it doesn’t work for me on the alphas. I have a GT-AX11000 but knowing if it works on any device using the latest firmware helps also.
I can confirm LACP works on RT-AX86U.
Link is 2Gbit and both ports are in use.

AX88U and AX56U are both updated from Alpha2 to B1.
Smoothest upgrade in all 3 nodes, took 3-4 mins to wireless connection to be done because of the fix in wireless network discovery, but it is great working.
The AiMesh page is now working properly as well.

@RMerlin thank you for your job!

Last edited:
AX86U Dirty upgrade from 386.7_2 to 388.2 Beta. No problems.

To clarify, I download one file per model (almost, but not quite all of them, each time).

I don't own all models. And I'm not really a 'user' of all those models either, except when I'm asked to update them (or, I'm doing other maintenance on the network or other computer equipment).

I just noticed 2 issues on my GT-AX11000. I couldn't change wireless settings for 5GHz-2, it would just say Applying Settings and do nothing. Tried rebooting but still couldn't change the settings. I had downgrade to 388.1 to be able to change the settings. I reflashed 388.2 Beta 1 to test again and it failed again to change the settings. Just says Applying Settings and just sits there forever.

The 2nd issue was that I enabled DNS Director and the client list is clearing on a reboot. I tried doing the same on a RT-AX58U(388.2 Beta 1 also) and that one is also clearing the list on reboot but I also tested on a RT-AC68 & RT-AC88U on 386.10 and those are not clearing the client list on reboot

Issue here with AiMesh (present in Asus firmware too). For the GT-AX6000.

If you try to connect two GT-AX6000 via Ethernet Backhaul with the explicit "Ethernet Backhaul" option in settings, the node will appear online for a few seconds and then drops connection. The only workaround at this moment for me was disabling the option "Ethernet Backhaul", connect the Routers via AiMesh with the Ethernet Cable connected and works.

1679430666348.png

1679430632662.png

I just noticed 2 issues on my GT-AX11000. I couldn't change wireless settings for 5GHz-2, it would just say Applying Settings and do nothing. Tried rebooting but still couldn't change the settings. I had downgrade to 388.1 to be able to change the settings. I reflashed 388.2 Beta 1 to test again and it failed again to change the settings. Just says Applying Settings and just sits there forever.

The 2nd issue was that I enabled DNS Director and the client list is clearing on a reboot. I tried doing the same on a RT-AX58U(388.2 Beta 1 also) and that one is also clearing the list on reboot but I also tested on a RT-AC68 & RT-AC88U on 386.10 and those are not clearing the client list on reboot
i sayed this in to another post and everyone say me its just my router, so we are 2 and i think more poeople with ax-11000 have the same problem. I have a mesh with ax82u.

this is the post

At this point, are the ROG and RMerlin UI's both equally functional, or is there something still "experimental" about the ROG UI version?

Thanks.

Looking great. Upgraded from 388.1 stable to 388.2.beta1. Great to see AIMesh loading router graphics again, and I see my tools icon is in too :)

Will update again if I run into any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.