What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 388.2 Beta is now available for Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why was I not having any problem with the older firmware?

My guess is every newer firmware with extra fixes eats a little more from available resources. One example is 386.10 firmware for AC-class routers and oldest supported RT-AC68U router. RMerlin has to start removing features to make eventual future updates fit for this specific model.

My guess is every newer firmware with extra fixes eats a little more from available resources. One example is 386.10 firmware for AC-class routers and oldest supported RT-AC68U router. RMerlin has to start removing features to make eventual future updates fit for this specific model.
That makes sense, Maybe this is to much for the router.

Possible request for ip in wireguard client endpoint ip-number as it in vpn clients.

2-Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 19-31-38 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX86U Pro - OpenVPN Client Settings.png

2-Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 19-32-03 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX86U Pro - VPN Status.png

2-Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 19-32-24 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX86U Pro - WireGuard Client.png

@RMerlin

Maybe this is to much for the router.

You can achieve similar results in a different way:

AdGuard Home -> AdGuard DNS

Test 388.2 with no extra load and see how it goes. Report issues firmware related only. Otherwise no one knows what's going on on your router.

The only way to use 160mhz band in my ax11000 its disable the 5ghz-2 and use 36/160mhz 5ghz-1. Its connected with cable to ax82u in aimesh and work fine. If i enable the 5ghz-2 dont work correctly and the count of time for wifi stay at 0:00:00.
working for 6 hours and everything fine.
wifi.jpg

** edit:
The version of the Fire HD10(2019) and TCL/Roku TV I have don't support DFS channels. I was testing out the auto channel & auto DFS tick mark and I swear the router booted up on channel 36 then at some point auto switched to channel 100 and the network 'disappeared' on those two devices. I feel like there were some changes in the ASUS code when they added WiFi 6E support that changed the way the old WiFi 6 firmware used to work. I'm still having an issue where if my Windows PC is connected @ 160MHz and it sleeps or is rebooted it will come back @ 80MHz. I never had that problem back early list year in 386.5 builds. If I reboot the router I'll get connected @ 160MHz again. Just a bit annoying.

Anyone else having a problem with their tablet(FireHD 10) or TV(TCL/Roku) not seeing their 5GHz network if the auto channel & DFS channel selection is ticked? If I untick the selection the tablet and TV will see the network again. It doesn't seem to matter if the channel width is either 80MHz or 160MHz or if it's a radar sensitive channel(100) or not(36 to 48). I'm having the same problem with the current stock ASUS firmware.

Last edited:
working for 6 hours and everything fine.

What exactly is working fine? On your screenshot there is no single client using 160MHz wide channel. There is no single AX capable client.

I wonder why some VPN providers are using that parameter in their config files. That parameter was needed for very old ciphers like BF-CBC, it wasn't doing anything with any modern cipher such as AES-256-GCM that they should have been using for quite a few years now.
I use ExpressVPN and have had those configs in place for quite some time.

I re-downloaded a config file just now to see if a more recent version has removed them, but no, it's still in there - maybe due to the AES-256-CBC cypher?

1679522636926.png

Interesting.

What exactly is working fine? On your screenshot there is no single client using 160MHz wide channel. There is no single AX capable client.
sorry but but i use with 1pc and 1 laptop, when a make the screenshot was turn off, but work at 160mhz with intel ax201 and bouth computers.

but i use with 1pc and 1 laptop

You have 7x Wi-Fi clients (or let's say up to 20) on 5GHz band and tri-band AX router with one radio disabled... Asus sponsor? :)

sorry but but i use with 1pc and 1 laptop, when a make the screenshot was turn off, but work at 160mhz with intel ax201 and bouth computers.
Then you are better off setting the WIFI to auto channel at 20/40/80/160 MHz and let the router switch up to 160 MHz when a 160 MHz client connects. Works very well here.

You have 7x Wi-Fi clients (or let's say up to 20) on 5GHz band and tri-band AX router with one radio disabled... Asus sponsor? :)
jajaja, i wish but not dude. Show that cuz the others devices was in to aimesh router and dont show there, i dont know why i think must work like that.

388.1 to 388.2b
all good

Does this beta change the wireguard client MTU ? I have an Asus AX86U, latest stable merlin 388.1 - Some vpn servers that I access, they require a lower MTU for websites to work / load properly, I think the default is 1420, and even though I did change it in the client config for example to MTU = 1380, system log says it doesnt accept the change and its stuck at 1420, im on PPPoE so technically it should be default at 1412. If not, any way I can via command line SSH to change like WGC1 to a certain MTU ?? Thanks!

I re-downloaded a config file just now to see if a more recent version has removed them, but no, it's still in there - maybe due to the AES-256-CBC cypher?
AES-256-CBC is a fixed size cipher, that keysize parameter did nothing to it.

--keysize nDEPRECATED This option will be removed in OpenVPN 2.6.
Size of cipher key in bits (optional). If unspecified, defaults to cipher-specific default. The --show-ciphers option (see below) shows all available OpenSSL ciphers, their default key sizes, and whether the key size can be changed. Use care in changing a cipher's default key size. Many ciphers have not been extensively cryptanalyzed with non-standard key lengths, and a larger key may offer no real guarantee of greater security, or may even reduce security.

Does this beta change the wireguard client MTU ?
No, it's whatever the default is for WireGuard. The firewall configuration does use clamp-mss-to-pmtu however.

No, it's whatever the default is for WireGuard. The firewall configuration does use clamp-mss-to-pmtu however.
Ah okay, because I have a Google Cloud wireguard VPN running, google cloud only does 1460 mtu, and connecting via AX86U default 1420 MTU wireguard, like 80% of the websites are not loading, if I do wireguard client on my Mac (AX86U router is on my ISP internet not vpn), and set it to 1380 MTU, all websites load fine and speed is fast, just wish there was a section to change wireguard MTU.

Anyone else having a problem with their tablet(FireHD 10) or TV(TCL/Roku) not seeing their 5GHz network if the auto channel & DFS channel selection is ticked? If I untick the selection the tablet and TV will see the network again. It doesn't seem to matter if the channel width is either 80MHz or 160MHz or if it's a radar sensitive channel(100) or not(36 to 48). I'm having the same problem with the current stock ASUS firmware.
I don't know about the tablet but a lot of TCL/Roku tvs do not support DFS channels. The newest ones might, but I'm not sure. I had the same problem and looked it up and my tv doesn't support those channels so it couldn't find the 5ghz network.

RT-AX88U, 388.2a to 388.2b
Running OpenVPN server and OpenVPN client. Using VPN Director. All good.

Last edited:
Four days in and I have just one thing to report - I'm BORED.
No errors, no glitches, nada.
Thank you @RMerlin

I've had the UI lock-up a couple of times now.
After a while it restarts and there's the following lines in the log...

Code:
Mar 23 09:40:49 HTTPD: waitting 10 minitues and restart
Mar 23 09:40:49 rc_service: httpd 4107:notify_rc restart_httpd
Mar 23 09:40:49 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart httpd)
Mar 23 09:40:49 RT-AX86S: start https:8443
Mar 23 09:40:49 RT-AX86S: start httpd:80
Mar 23 09:40:49 httpd: Succeed to init SSL certificate...80
Mar 23 09:40:49 httpd: Succeed to init SSL certificate...8443

Status
Not open for further replies.