What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 388.2 Beta is now available for Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an AX86S and it's suddenly reboots out of the blue with the 388.2 firmware. I can't figure out why this is happening. Al I can see that the free mem is running out. Can that be the issue?
I installed 388.2 on my AX86S yesterday and while the upgrade went smoothly. But today I had the same issue as you and the router rebooted itself. Problem was when the router rebooted I could not access the router's admin screen using Ethernet and the WiFi wouldn't let devices connect claiming the password wasn't correct. Power cycled the router and operations returned to normal.

388.2b1 has been the most stable for wireless IOT devices than any previous release. GT-AX11000 with an RT-AX86U, 2 x RT-AX58Us as AIMesh Nodes. Nodes are running latest ASUS Firmware.

But today I had the same issue as you and the router rebooted itself.

Perhaps the issue is somewhere here?

AX86S - 388.1 Skynet, Diversion, spdMerlin, Connmon, Scribe, scMerlin, uiDivStats, uiScribe, YAZDHCP, VnStat

Beating the heck out of this release/features.
So just out of curiosity, anyone else showing 5Ghz using DFS/160Mhz (System Log / Wireless Log);

1679620527948.png

Then using Network Tools / Site Survey and after hitting the Rescan 2 or 3 times, go to the Wireless Log and 5Ghz it drops back to 80Mhz bandwidth (in my case 149/80) then after a few minutes or after it scans for Radar interference it goes back to 160Mhz bandwidth?

Of course, without a Site Survey / Rescans it'll stay on 160Mhz for hours on end, but with 2 or 3 of them back (not all SSID's come up after the initial scan) to back it'll drop to 80Mhz then recover after scanning for interference. Happening consistently, on demand, after a few back to back Site Survey / Rescan.

Wondering if that's expected behavior?

Perhaps the issue is somewhere here?

AX86S - 388.1 Skynet, Diversion, spdMerlin, Connmon, Scribe, scMerlin, uiDivStats, uiScribe, YAZDHCP, VnStat
Could be but prior release versions the router was stable. Will see if problem repeats then look at perhaps removing scripts.

This is the best release I’ve seen to date. It’s rock stable And memory management has been much much better. So far my ax88u’s memory usage stays between 63-69% after over 2 days. Past builds seemed like they had a memory leak as it would slowly go from 70% to 95% after 24 hours. Also, the Management UI seems much more responsive.

Thank you @Merlin . Hopefully you do not have to change much prior to the release version.

Could be but prior release versions the router was stable.

Test with Asuswrt 388_22525. This is the base used for Asuswrt-Merlin 388.2.

Ok, I did find one problem though. Adguard Home does not see to work after I updated to this build. Have tried reinstallling and no luck, if I click uninstall, the amtm utility just freezes.

Anyone notice 5ghz site survey doesn’t work for them. Doesn’t work for me atm. Upgraded, hard reset, multiple reboots.Data collection on. 2ghz no problem.

With Beta 1 installed with the ROG UI, would moving from the ROG UI to RMerlin's UI pose any special reconfiguration recommendations?
The firmware code is identical, only the UI is different. You will just need to flush your cache to get rid of cached CSS.

@RMerlin Did you see the IPv6 DoS Protection bug reported in this thread.

firewall-start generates this line when DoS protection is enabled and Logged packets type = None:
Code:
What are the other rules in the chain that jumps to ICMP_V6? It's possible Asus uses RETURN because there are other rules they want to process, such as parental control or user-defined firewall rules.

Test with Asuswrt 388_22525. This is the base used for Asuswrt-Merlin 388.2.
He won't be able to test with the same long series of scripts that are quite possibly putting pressure on available RAM.

Anyone notice 5ghz site survey doesn’t work for them. Doesn’t work for me atm. Upgraded, hard reset, multiple reboots.Data collection on. 2ghz no problem.
Make sure your 5 GHz radio isn't disabled, and you aren't using MAC filtering.

I just tried upgrading my GT-AX11000 to 388.2b1. Unfortunately, my TAP based VPN server crash issue still remains :(

(dirty update this time)

I find it strange that I see the same crash/reboot (~20-30 seconds after a successful tunnel is established) with all three of the most recent firmware versions, specifically 386_7_2, 388.1, and 388.2.

My AC5300 is still working just fine (same configuration, acting as the VPN server) and is now upgraded to 386.10 (was also working fine on 386_7_2 and 396.9). The client is running on an AX68U on 388.1

I do have two different .opvn files client configs to match each server, which I switch between on the client when experimenting with each server router, but the only differences is the order of the ciphers. I wouldn't have thought this mattered, but maybe it does?
ncp-ciphers AES-256-GCM:AES-128-GCM:AES-256-CBC:AES-128-CBC vs ncp-ciphers AES-128-GCM:AES-256-GCM:AES-128-CBC:AES-256-CBC

That all said, I'm starting to believe the issue is hardware / driver related (because the AC works and the AX doesn't when on the lowest common firmware, i.e. 386_7_2)

The one thing I haven't tried yet is upgrading my client router (AX68U) to 388.2 from 388.1. I may do that soon, but it's risky for me as it's at my remote location that's not so easy to physically manage.

System log doesn't show anything interesting that I can see.

Any ideas?

For more details, if anyone cares, this is the original post:

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    62.2 KB · Views: 23
I think you may try to change the syntax "ncp-ciphers" to "data-ciphers". Because according to the reference manual of Openvpn, the former was replaced by the latter since Openvpn 2.5. Moreover, Merlin upgraded the openvpn module to 2.5.7 in the 386.7 firmware.

https://openvpn.net/community-resources/reference-manual-for-openvpn-2-6/

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/changelog
I will likely try, but since the tunnel is being established, briefly, I doubt this is the crux of the issue. But maybe, if there's a parsing related corruption or something like that...

That file is generated by the python script within the calc_nvram directory. Make sure your Python install is working.
I refreshed the required compiler dependencies. A couple of libncurses and python files needed to be re-added. They got lost during system upgrades. Its working now.

I installed 388.2 on my AX86S yesterday and while the upgrade went smoothly. But today I had the same issue as you and the router rebooted itself. Problem was when the router rebooted I could not access the router's admin screen using Ethernet and the WiFi wouldn't let devices connect claiming the password wasn't correct. Power cycled the router and operations returned to normal.
Can you let me know if this is indeed the solution? After a few days, this must be possible to say.

Can you let me know if this is indeed the solution? After a few days, this must be possible to say.

This seems a rather "common" issue recently. It seems to be effecting some and not others. I'm convinced it's more a script than FW. I wonder what we all have in common to cause it for some and not others

I don't have the time to handle four branches on my own, sorry. Two is already one more than I would like quite frankly, and I seriously have no idea how I will deal with the 3.0.0.6 branch once it comes. I will have some tough decisions to make then.
This might make a lot of people angry with me, but it must be said: The whole merlin project has grown into a behemoth, and I worry about you, Eric.

Why don't you just call it quits on the 386-branch and focus your energy on the main-branch. Like you said, you're a one man show. I can't imagine how much time goes into this project of yours each day, but i'm guessing it's substantial. Over the years it seems like it has gone from being a fun project for you to being a "chore" with lots of responsibilities, expectations from users, complaining and lots of unpaid tech support.

If i were you, I would say the AC-models had a good run, but it's time to call it quits. Everything has its time and comes to an end. This is an unpaid hobby project, and I value my free time, and will only support the current main branch from Asus. Get rid of a ton of workload and responsibilites from my shoulders and lower the complexity of the project.

I'd much rather have you only focus on newer hardware / main branch, than have you burn out and quit the entire thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.