What's new

AX wireless system help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Steve40th

Regular Contributor
I am on the verge of upgrading my whole dang house. Tv is outdated and slowly dying (720P). Wife Router Tplink Archer C7 v2, a Motorola SB6183, a laptop with 8 years on it and an AC wiFi adapter, and a 150mb internet download speed. Plus, phones etc all run AC wifi..
So, my question is, to make use of an AX system, what should I need as far as internet download speed, smart TV capabilitys(if that makes a difference), Wifi Router and Modem?
And should I wait a while longer, and wait till the market catches up?
Thnxs in advance.

I couldn't justify the cost, due to no observed gain over my 86U, in my environment.
Some members suggest currently staying with AC, until the AX has matured and other AX devices are released.

No need with those devices unless you plan on heavily streaming home served video across wifi. Smart TV’s, laptops, mobile devices are never going to take advantage of the higher throughput that AX is supposed to give. Mfg’s reasoning for AX is that more users are moving away from wired devices since we are. mobile society. I run my Samsung Q6 series QLED off of wifi and yes it is faster than wired, but I will never see the need to get a Wireless-AX AP, just because it is new tech at this time.

I agree with you, you should update much of your home now. There are great sales coming up soon. This is what I'm changing to, immediately:

Netgear RAX40 router(good for about 2 years)
iphone 11(or samsung galaxy s10, both wifi 6)
HP pavilion 15 inch 2019 model or better(with aftermarket Intel Wifi 6 card)

TV adapter of choice is amazon firetv stick 4k (not wifi 6, but fastest stick available, use old tv's or whatever)

Other clients with wifi 6 will slowly become available. Your choice of cable modem is up to you and your isp plan. If we don't spend the money now, we risk falling behind everyone else and technology, forever. Not being current and up-to-date is a worthless existence.

Last edited:
A good four-stream AC router will work just fine. WiFi6/802.11ax is too expensive and, even after one year on the market, still doesn't support key 802.11ax features like OFDMA.

And the final approval of the standard has been pushed from Jan 2020 to September 2020.

To answer your question, a 2 stream AX/WiFi6 device should be able to support close to 1 Gbps in 5 GHz, using 80 MHz (standard) bandwidth. 802.11ac handles a 150 Mbps service with plenty of bandwidth to spare.

I run my Samsung Q6 series QLED off of wifi and yes it is faster than wired, but I will never see the need to get a Wireless-AX AP, just because it is new tech at this time.

How can wireless which is a shared media be faster than a switched media?

I agree with you, you should update much of your home now. There are great sales coming up soon. This is what I'm changing to, immediately: Netgear RAX40 router(good for about 2 years),
Why the RAX40? If you care about OFDMA support, Intel is far behind both Qualcomm and Broadcom on implementation.

Why the RAX40? If you care about OFDMA support, Intel is far behind both Qualcomm and Broadcom on implementation.
I applied your written principle of buy/test/return if necessary. Go with the cheapest wifi 6 if you must have it now. I have never gone wrong following your advice. Price at Walmart BF sale: RAX40(Intel)- $200, or TP-Link AX1500(Broadcom) at everyday price of $70, or TP-LInk AX3000(Intel) at $129 everyday.

Last edited:
I applied your written principle of buy/test/return if necessary the cheapest wifi 6 if you must have it now. I have never gone wrong following your advice.
Walmart BF sale: RAX40- $100
or, TP-Link AX1500 at everyday price of $70, or TP-LInk AX3000 at $129
Got it. Yes, at this point, if you have an AX device (or even if you don't) and want to experiment, definitely go cheap. There's also the two stream NETGEAR RAX20. But since it's new, it probably won't be Black Friday'd. Also looks to be BestBuy exclusive right now, too.

TV adapter of choice is amazon firetv stick 4k (not wifi 6, but fastest stick available, use old tv's or whatever)

You don't like the AppleTV(4K)? I like it because it will connect using wire and you can run HomeKIT on the AppleTV which will give you remote control over devices in your home if you use an iPhone. The only thing I like about my Firestick is you can use voice commands with Alexa Echo. I like wired better and the sound quality seems a little better on the AppleTV.

Haven't liked any of the previous apple tv's, but your apple tv 4k choice sounds very attractive.