What's new

AX11000: the Control Channel (128) and bandwidth (160 MHz) that I set get reset after a few hours of uptime

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

le_communiste

New Around Here
Hi,

so I set the router manually to use Control Channel 128 and Channel bandwidth 160 MHz on the 2nd 5GHz Channel - this is how I receive the best Rx/Tx of my AiMesh connected RT-AX88U through the 2nd 5Ghz channel which I use as a Dedicated Wireless Backhaul(DWB).
After a few hours of operation the router decides to change the control channel to something like 120L with either 40 or 80 MHZ Bandwidth which dramatically reduces the performance of the AiMesh connected RT-AX88U.
Trouble is, I don't see any information in the System Log. Anyone had this issue before and/or could point me towards a solution?

Hi,

so I set the router manually to use Control Channel 128 and Channel bandwidth 160 MHz on the 2nd 5GHz Channel - this is how I receive the best Rx/Tx of my AiMesh connected RT-AX88U through the 2nd 5Ghz channel which I use as a Dedicated Wireless Backhaul(DWB).
After a few hours of operation the router decides to change the control channel to something like 120L with either 40 or 80 MHZ Bandwidth which dramatically reduces the performance of the AiMesh connected RT-AX88U.
Trouble is, I don't see any information in the System Log. Anyone had this issue before and/or could point me towards a solution?
Normal operation when you select a DFS channel.

Hi,

Solution may be to only use 160 MHz on a 6.0 GHz channel on a WiFi 6e router. (Or stick to 80 MHz on a non-DFS channel on your router.)

OE

Last edited:
So what you guys are saying is that this is 'as designed according to 5 GHz specs' and that there is no reliable way to have the AX11000 run the two 5Ghz bands with 160 MHz each, which would be the only way to get close to the theoretical 11,000Mbps. Even if I configure the router to have two 5 GHz bands with 160 MHz each, which will inevitably overlap into DFS channels, after a while the router will do his magic and switch the DFS channels into lower bandwidths at some point.
That router is garbage then ;-)

So what you guys are saying is that this is 'as designed according to 5 GHz specs' and that there is no reliable way to have the AX11000 run the two 5Ghz bands with 160 MHz each, which would be the only way to get close to the theoretical 11,000Mbps. Even if I configure the router to have two 5 GHz bands with 160 MHz each, which will inevitably overlap into DFS channels, after a while the router will do his magic and switch the DFS channels into lower bandwidths at some point.
That router is garbage then ;-)
No, not garbage. It is the way the regs are written. If you use a DFS channel expect to get bounced unless you live on a desert island. Maybe there if a B1B flies over low.
Select the lower 5 GHZ band CH 36 or the upper ch 149 and see if it makes a difference. This AX stuff is still new to a lot of us and just maybe you are expecting too much.

Thanks for your remarks and replies - I'll have to live with it.
ax11000.png

No, not garbage. It is the way the regs are written. If you use a DFS channel expect to get bounced unless you live on a desert island. Maybe there if a B1B flies over low.
Select the lower 5 GHZ band CH 36 or the upper ch 149 and see if it makes a difference. This AX stuff is still new to a lot of us and just maybe you are expecting too much.
With all due respect, this sentence is simply not true as an absolute statement of fact, as you are trying to present.
I myself have been using a TP_Link AX11000 for just over a year now, and have always used DFS channels - always. Also, I live in the EU, in a city with about 1,000,000 inhabitants and in relatively close proximity to an international airport (give or take 10 km). And I have never, ever experienced the bouncing to which you refer. My router stays rock solid on its 5 GHz DFS channels and 160 MHz.

With all due respect, this sentence is simply not true as an absolute statement of fact, as you are trying to present.
I myself have been using a TP_Link AX11000 for just over a year now, and have always used DFS channels - always. Also, I live in the EU, in a city with about 1,000,000 inhabitants and in relatively close proximity to an international airport (give or take 10 km). And I have never, ever experienced the bouncing to which you refer. My router stays rock solid on its 5 GHz DFS channels and 160 MHz.
Well let's say it's hit and miss then. Before buying my setup (AX11000 and AX88u) I checked that my neighbors did not use DFS 5 GHz networks but unfortunately I live in proximity of a major airport. Since I have to use a DFS channel to use 160mhz on both 5GHz networks it's just a matter of minutes until I see a Radar detected, rssi:0 message in the system log and my AX11000 reverts to 80 MHz, rendering my whole setup useless...

Perhaps, then, your theory is right - hit or miss.
Since I only had the Asus AX11000 for a couple of days, I can't advise anything more specific, maybe some longer-standing users can.
But do you have the opportunity of testing any other Asus router models or different router brands - Netgear, TP-Link, D-Link, whatever? Maybe this could solve your problem.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!