What's new

ax58u QOS, does it work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Igs

Regular Contributor
Hi guys! I'm wondering, if traditional QOS is actually working. I made my own rules (percentage wise) and set the Highest priority (0 - 100%) to a Google Chromecast with Google TV. The rest of the device are set to High (0 -75,%). I have original Asus latest firmware. So, when I decided to make a speedtest by ookla from a mobile phone that was set to High, the moment I made a test, my IPTV started buffering (this takes 20 Mbps, maximum. ISP connection is 100/100). And it's not for the first time. What an amazing QOS. Lol

Last edited:
More details. The buffering comes to play when speedtest is testing the upload speed. The rules are mirrored. Now i have set High priority to 0-70 (both). When Okla makes a test now, the download speed has decreased to around 70% (nice). But the upload is still around 90 - 97% And that is fine, because nothing else is uploading at the moment. But is starts buffering exactly during the upload speed test. Is the upload QOS broken?

Last edited:
There are more versatile QoS options if you run Merlin firmware that would work fine with 100Mbps (e.g. CAKE, fq_codel).

Moreover, if I turn off the highest priority device (Google TV), the speed test still shows the download speed of a high priority device. But it should work dynamically - if the device with the highest priority is not up, then it should give this bandwidth to other devices. But it doesn't. I can't believe how buggy the Asus software is. Does Merlin software addressed this issues? If yes, the I may try.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!