What's new

AX86 placement in mesh setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LandoC

New Around Here
Hey all - AiMesh setup question. Can I use the slower AC86u as the main router in the basement and the faster AX86u in the main floor of the house as a node, (it is where most home traffic is)? The main basement router usually has a low client count and is far removed from everyone. I wasn't sure if there are limitations with doing this, such as missing out on routing/mesh performance that the AX could provide. The AX86 is on a wired backhaul.

Welcome to the forums @LandoC.

Try it out in the 'AiMesh Router in AP' mode. Be sure to test if the RT-AC86U can give full GbE performance during your testing.

Note that you may want to disable the RT-AC86Us radios for maximum performance of the RT-AX86U in your home.

Welcome to the forums @LandoC.

Try it out in the 'AiMesh Router in AP' mode. Be sure to test if the RT-AC86U can give full GbE performance during your testing.

Note that you may want to disable the RT-AC86Us radios for maximum performance of the RT-AX86U in your home.

Thanks, I have disabled the radios on the AC86u home router. Asus provides a message that AiMesh will potentially be impacted, I assume for users that utilize the wireless backhaul.

Is it in the mode I suggested, or in AiMesh Router mode instead?

You do not want to have the RT-AC86U as part of the AiMesh setup, except to provide WAN to the RT-AX86U.

I forgot I had another node (AC86U) in another part of the house. The main router acts as a hub for all nodes (diagram attached). I might need to dismantle the AiMesh and bring it back in service when I can get more AX routers, possibly just using the AX by itself for now!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 5.15.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 5.15.23 PM.png
    139.1 KB · Views: 57
If you can wire the RT-AX86U to the Bedroom RT-AC86U directly while using the RT-AX86U in 'AiMesh Router in AP mode', you can still have an AiMesh system with the RT-AX86U as 'master'.

But yes, I would try the RT-AX86U by itself at first.

Add the Bedroom RT-AC86U (if needed) at the Main Floor location. Leave the current 'main' RT-AC86U untouched so you can go back quickly to where you are now.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!