What's new

AX86U best practice setting for best wifi performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

homeofwind

Regular Contributor
Hi, can anyone share the best 2.4g/5g settings for ax86u router? I still see the post back in 2021 so not sure if there is any update setting post related to this. I am not getting full speed for 1G internet for 5g channels even at closest range. (using wifi 6 device for test). Appreciate your help!

Hi, can anyone share the best 2.4g/5g settings for ax86u router? I still see the post back in 2021 so not sure if there is any update setting post related to this. I am not getting full speed for 1G internet for 5g channels even at closest range. (using wifi 6 device for test). Appreciate your help!

You most likely won’t ever get 1GB speeds over wifi.
Using a gigabit WAN drops your throughput to around 940Mbps already.

The best WIFI settings for me are the defaults, mostly. I disable WPS, set the 2.4 GHz to 20 MHz and do not use DFS channels.

The best WIFI settings for me are the defaults, mostly. I disable WPS, set the 2.4 GHz to 20 MHz and do not use DFS channels.
Agree with this. I assume most testing is done with default (or close to default) settings.

I only lock the channels and sometimes IPV6.

You most likely won’t ever get 1GB speeds over wifi.
Using a gigabit WAN drops your throughput to around 940Mbps already.
Thanks for mentioning this, I have a 1GBPS plan with my ISP here in Dubai but any speedtest I run shows a max speed of 940-941 MBPS max and was thinking of calling them thinking it was a problem but have been procrastinating to do so.

Thanks for mentioning this, I have a 1GBPS plan with my ISP here in Dubai but any speedtest I run shows a max speed of 940-941 MBPS max and was thinking of calling them thinking it was a problem but have been procrastinating to do so.

No it’s normal. Gigabit Ethernet minus overheads will equate to around 940Mbps.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!