What's new

AX86u (Merlin 388.1) suddenly a total mess. Any help?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ac3200user

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

My RT-AX86U suddenly, for no particular reason stopped doing what it should do: provide internet to my home.
Wifi dropped, came back. But: no internet.
WAN is connected and getting internet, but no traffic comes through.
Routers WebGUI is extremely slow, although no CPU is measured.
Restarted, re-powered, unplugged all ethernet cables:
No luck.

Can anyone see something in the log-file i attach to this post?
[EDIT: Problem solved, logfile removed]

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
I ended up ditching that version and putting the alpha release on.

I thought initially it was my NVME and caddy, so I replaced it still issues on alpha, so I factory reset it 3 times and wipe the jffs 3 times and so far it's been stable no sudden loss of Internet or random reboots.

Thanks all.
Did factory reset (WPS + Power on, etc.)
Formatted jffs.
Upgraded to latest Alpha
Restored settings.

Working again.

Thank you all again.
I wouldn't have 'restored' setting personally because you don't know if the previous settings were causing issues. I started from scratch personally.

Thanks all.
Did factory reset (WPS + Power on, etc.)
Formatted jffs.
Upgraded to latest Alpha
Restored settings.

Working again.

Thank you all again.

Never restore settings. Why even bother doing a factory reset if you're going to do that?

AX-88/388.1: Even though people are saying this is only related to AX86, in order to keep my AX88 running smoothly I auto reboot nightly and still occasionally need to do a power restart - but, when it works it works well. A reboot also stops the guest network. I connect with about 100 devices. Mesh units need occasional reboots also. Not complaining, just throwing it out there. Waiting patiently for 388.2.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have 'restored' setting personally because you don't know if the previous settings were causing issues. I started from scratch personally.

True. But my thoughts were: If the settings caused the issue, i would know soon after the upload of the settings.
And if they did: i would start from scratch. But....i have SO much settings, passwords, VPN, names connected to almost 100 mac-adresses, etc. Not much fun to enter all those manually.

But: it worked. No need to start from scratch. Luckily.

I was having a lot of these issues, with my AX 86U so I downgraded to 386.7_2. My router was behaving very weirdly for about two weeks (pretty much the whole time I moved to Merlin). Had tried some of the resetting mentioned here, but honestly it didn't seem to do much. The biggest concerns for me were the RAM slowly increasing every day and some of my clients randomly getting the boot/internet dying. Hoping this version will be stable.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!