What's new

[AX86U Pro] WIFI not working well after updating from stock to Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Neo-ST

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

My mobile phone gets ofter disconnects from WIFI after upgrading to Merlin from stock.
Current version: 3004.388.6

After flashing Merlin, I reset the router to factory defaults, then manually set up everything.
I've set up my WIFI according to these guidelines, which meant basically just tweaking 2.4ghz to 20MHz and choosing channel 6. I disabled 5GHz WIFI because it's not important for my environment.
I also tried just stock WIFI settings, without tweaking anything and the problem persists anyway.

Previousy, before flashing Merlin, my mobile would be perfectly fine (Wifi6 connected) and connection stable in my kitchen, but now it says "Connected without internet" (Samsung Galaxy S23 series), or "Ready to connect when network quality improves".

Problem can be solved by disabling WIFI on mobile, then turning it on again, but if I go out of range and come back in again, it encounters the same problem again.

I tried forgetting the network, then reconnecting again, WPA2/WPA3 Personal, just WPA2,... nothing helps.

Any idea where should I start troubleshooting this? Really wouldn't want to go back to stock firmware :/

Thanks

Use the form search and search for Samsung. You'll find a number of recent complaints about issues with Samsung phones. Not having any WiFi issues on a RT-AX86U Pro running the latest Merlin firmware. I do not have any Samsung devices actively connected to the WiFi. I have upwards of 15 or so WiFi clients and IoT devices connected to the WiFi (and YazFi Guest WiFi). I have Smart Connect disabled and different SSID names for each WiFi band.

PS: Post screen captures of your WiFi General and Professional settings for others to review. Some have issues with the Smart Connect feature being enabled and with the SSID being the same for both bands.

Why are you disabling 5GHz? By forcing all your devices onto 2.4GHz you're limiting the speed of the clients and using a band that is susceptible to overcrowding and interference.

If you insist on using 2.4GHz only then I suggest you disable Wi-Fi6(-ax) as that is often problematic for devices on 2.4GHz.

Do not mess with the WIFI defaults! Let the router run for a while then see if something needs changed.

I disabled 5GHz WIFI because it's not important for my environment.

You have severely limited the entire network's Wi-Fi throughput even if you have relatively clear 2.4GHz band.

The maximum link speeds you see in Wireless Log show the total maximum bandwidth to all your wireless clients and not just to the client you are looking at.

I have reset the router to factory defaults and left WIFI as it is.
I've read on Samsung problems, to disable "Switch to mobile data" option.
Between those options I also found "Wi-fi power saving mode" was ON... I don't know how I missed it. Turned it off now.
I also disabled MAC address randomization, so I'll give it a few days like this to see if anything's changed.

It may be "fixed" now but you made so many changes at once you'll never be sure of the culprit.

It's kinda working better now, although not as good as on stock firmware.
In the kitchen where I tested the WIFI originally, my phone now 50% of the time works fine and 50% it just drops WIFI and switches to mobile network.
If I get closer to the router, it reconnects. It sometimes even reconnects if I don't get closer to it. Weird.
Didn't have these problems with stock firmware. With Merlin, it is as if WIFI signal is weaker.

It's kinda working better now, although not as good as on stock firmware.
In the kitchen where I tested the WIFI originally, my phone now 50% of the time works fine and 50% it just drops WIFI and switches to mobile network.
If I get closer to the router, it reconnects. It sometimes even reconnects if I don't get closer to it. Weird.
Didn't have these problems with stock firmware. With Merlin, it is as if WIFI signal is weaker.
Are you using 5Ghz or still using 2.4Ghz like your initial post indicated?
Post a screen capture of the Wireless Log page (if using Asus-Merlin firmware) so others can see what the values are.
And post your Wireless General and Professional page settings so people can review to see if there are any issues with your settings.
Note that certain kitchen appliances, like microwaves may have the potential to cause interference with WiFi signals.

Are you using 5Ghz or still using 2.4Ghz like your initial post indicated?
Post a screen capture of the Wireless Log page (if using Asus-Merlin firmware) so others can see what the values are.
And post your Wireless General and Professional page settings so people can review to see if there are any issues with your settings.
Note that certain kitchen appliances, like microwaves may have the potential to cause interference with WiFi signals.

Ok, I did some testing, these are the results:

Scenario 1 - Defaults WIFI settings (Dual-band smart connect, 2.4+5ghz enabled, etc.):

Phone in my room: it appears under 5ghz in System logs - Wireless (didn't take screenshot)
Moved phone in my kitchen: it disappears from 5ghz and doesn't reappear in 2.4ghz (I thought dual-band smart connect will switch it to 2.4 but it didn't).
Screenshot:
Image 002.png
Here you can see my other 2 appliances connected to 2.4ghz (they don't have 5ghz capability).

Scenario 2 - everything stayed the same except I disabled 5ghz from Professional settings:

My phone is still in the kitchen: I needed to manually reconnect it to WIFI, but now it stays there, under 2.4ghz tab.
Screenshot:
Image 004.png

That's why I don't like 5ghz.
First it's unnecessary for my needs, second WIFI signal with 5ghz is too weak here (can't even reach kitchen). Dual band smart connect obviously isn't doing its job. So I think it's best to keep 5ghz turned off and that's it. I'll see how it behaves with these settings.

My current WIFI settings:

Image 005.png

Image 006.png

Image 007.png

EDIT:
Just spent half an hour in the kitchen with these settings, and they don't work either.
Phone disconnects from the WIFI after a while with message "Ready to connect when network quality improves" and that's with 2.4ghz.
My conclusion is that somehow Merlin update does something to WIFI power, making it have less reach than stock firmware.
Any ideas ?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, had to remove Merlin and go back to stock firmware.
WIFI reach on Merlin was noticeably smaller than on stock fw, which was causing problems to few of my devices at home.

Unfortunately, had to remove Merlin and go back to stock firmware.
WIFI reach on Merlin was noticeably smaller than on stock fw, which was causing problems to few of my devices at home.
Merlin or stock make no dif concerning range and snart connect has never worked well plus you have radio off in 5 professional

Merlin or stock make no dif concerning range and snart connect has never worked well plus you have radio off in 5 professional
I've had radio 5ghz off in stock fw as well.
Merlin is a disaster in my case, regarding Wifi range.
Tested with same settings on both stock and Merlin, same devices in same places around the house.
Many devices losing connection constantly with Merlin, but with stock everything works fine.
I noticed Wifi signal is much stronger on stock fw (looking at that notifications bar icon).
Something's messed up with Merlin in my case.

I've had radio 5ghz off in stock fw as well.
Merlin is a disaster in my case, regarding Wifi range.
Tested with same settings on both stock and Merlin, same devices in same places around the house.
Many devices losing connection constantly with Merlin, but with stock everything works fine.
I noticed Wifi signal is much stronger on stock fw (looking at that notifications bar icon).
Something's messed up with Merlin in my case.

I have an AX86U Pro, running the current version of Merlin for months. No problems at all.

If you have not already done so, perform a factory reset once Merlin is flashed, then reconfig.

If you still have issues, I'd RMA the router, there's something unstable with it if your wifi has problems with Merlin.

I have an AX86U Pro, running the current version of Merlin for months. No problems at all.

If you have not already done so, perform a factory reset once Merlin is flashed, then reconfig.

If you still have issues, I'd RMA the router, there's something unstable with it if your wifi has problems with Merlin.
I tried that too.
Didn't help.
Why would I RMA it if it works great on stock fw ? Doesn't make sense.

What doesn't make much sense to me is using RT-AX86U Pro router with settings restricting it to N150 class to common 2-stream clients. Wake up, Neo! 😎

I tried that too.
Didn't help.
Why would I RMA it if it works great on stock fw ? Doesn't make sense.
Because if no one else using that same router with Merlin is having problems, there must be something wrong with yours.

And to add: between multiple locations, I have 4 of those all running Merlin fine.

What doesn't make much sense to me is using RT-AX86U Pro router with settings restricting it to N150 class to common 2-stream clients. Wake up, Neo! 😎
Well, 5ghz doesn't reach enough and Smart Connect doesn't work...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!