What's new

AX88U /jffs at 99%

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RattyMan

Occasional Visitor
Coming across a problem, which I'm starting to think might be a dead unit.
Had this unit for about a week, set up very simply with no scripts but on Merlin 384.14.
I had issues below, though might be leftover something so have been through a full Nuclear Reset but still not solved.
The setup is the following:
  • Change from default IP's to 192.168.10.0/24 range
  • Setup DHCP (192.168.10.100-200 range)
  • Don't have QoS etc. running, or any other standard services
  • I reserve around 20 addresses on my network and change the names for devices connecting (around 50 devices)
  • Enabled SSH to see what's happening
  • I set up the users in the mobile app, as I would normally use this control my son's time online, and remove adult content.
That's about it!!
Within a day my /jffs is at 87% and when it hits 99% all users are removed, all names removed after a reboot.

[UPDATE] - the file that seems to be added constantly, and only one I can find:
Code:
TheDarkLord@RT-AX88U-9820:/jffs/usericon# ls -lsh
 82708 -rw-rw-rw-    1 TheDarkL root       80.8M Jan 14 13:25 841b5e47ac97.ico

Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
This is probably why your icon file is so huge. Just don't give devices custom names.
That doesn't make sense, changing the text names for devices, I'm not adding icons at all...and on my previous AC88U this never happened.
Plus to add, I add these all upfront from a file, no custom icons:
Code:
nvram set dhcp_staticlist="$(cat dhcp_staticlist)"
nvram set custom_clientlist="$(cat custom_clientlist)"
so this should show full size at that point, which it doesn't and only shows around 3% used.

It grows after this within a day.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's definitely not caused by device customization, at least not generally. I have 64 DHCP reservations, all of which have both custom names and custom icons. I'm using 4.32MB 0f 63MB available. He's got something wonky going on. @RattyMan if there's anything I can do to help out, let me know. I just got an RT-AX88U...

Thanks, both, I'm going to swap back to the AC88U and run some more tests but expect it might be hardware replace.

[UPDATE]
I rolled back on the AX88U to the 384.13 firmware - and so far so good! No growth in /jffs and I have all the clients names and reserved IP's in place. Obviously, time to let it settle and see how this plays out.

Last edited:
@RattyMan I would be testing the RMerlin 384.15 Alpha (Jan 1) firmware instead. :)

Flash 384.15, reset to factory defaults including checking the 'Initialize all settings...' button, do a quick and dirty Wizard setup and then reflash the same firmware again. Once more, reset to factory defaults via the GUI and check the 'Initialize all settings...' button also.

Now, don't import your saved list, rather, copy/paste what you need to this fully reset and updated router and keep us posted of what is happening. :)

@RattyMan I would be testing the RMerlin 384.15 Alpha (Jan 1) firmware instead. :)

Flash 384.15, reset to factory defaults including checking the 'Initialize all settings...' button, do a quick and dirty Wizard setup and then reflash the same firmware again. Once more, reset to factory defaults via the GUI and check the 'Initialize all settings...' button also.

Now, don't import your saved list, rather, copy/paste what you need to this fully reset and updated router and keep us posted of what is happening. :)

Done - actually so far so good! The same thing is not happening. Nothing appearing in the usericon directory, and jffs is at a static 3%. I will monitor and report back...

So 2 days in, and it's just started happening again and on the Alpha firmware.
So looking at the jffs:
TheDarkLord@RT-AX88U-9820:/tmp/home/root# df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
ubi:rootfs_ubifs 71104 70824 280 100% /
devtmpfs 451672 0 451672 0% /dev
tmpfs 451784 444 451340 0% /var
tmpfs 451784 1876 449908 0% /tmp/mnt
mtd:bootfs 5248 4256 992 81% /bootfs
mtd:data 8192 636 7556 8% /data
tmpfs 451784 1876 449908 0% /tmp/mnt
tmpfs 451784 1876 449908 0% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock9 64512 63768 744 99% /jffs

Looking at file sizes:
TheDarkLord@RT-AX88U-9820:/jffs# du -ha
0 ./scripts
51.0K ./crashlog.log
0 ./addons
5.5K ./nmp_cl_json.js
973.0K ./signature/rule.trf
973.0K ./signature
512 ./configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
512 ./configs
57.6M ./usericon/841b5e47ac97.ico
57.6M ./usericon

And testing by adding a statis IP, and after applying nothing sticks....
Then after a reboot, all gone:
upload_2020-1-16_10-9-36.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-16_9-45-5.png
    upload_2020-1-16_9-45-5.png
    61.7 KB · Views: 251
So that one icon file is the issue. Don't know if it helps but I looked at mine and all I have in /usericon is a bunch of .log files. As I mentioned before, I have custom icons for all of my devices but there are no .ico files in /usericon like you have.

looks a bit weird this... I've testing alpha for weeks also on an ax-88u and never got anything like this. What FS you have there? ext4? also, which is its volume size?

looks a bit weird this... I've testing alpha for weeks also on an ax-88u and never got anything like this. What FS you have there? ext4? also, which is its volume size?
Not sure what you mean around FS? I've not added any volumes for storage, this is straight as per install of the firmware.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

I've not added any volumes for storage, this is straight as per install of the firmware.

Sorry misunderstood your configuration, in my case my router has one attached storage, not the same configuration as yours.

Hi RattyMan
Did you solve your problem. I am experiencing the exact same thing on a RT-AC86U running 384.14. I have done a factory reset etc and upload 384.14.2 and I am still experience the .ico increasing in size until the jffs partition is almost full.

Hi RattyMan
Did you solve your problem. I am experiencing the exact same thing on a RT-AC86U running 384.14. I have done a factory reset etc and upload 384.14.2 and I am still experience the .ico increasing in size until the jffs partition is almost full.
I formatted the JFFS partition and all is good now.

Hi,

I've seen this with almost every build, both native from Asus and the merlin builds and I've found out some more that might help others finally resolve this. I have an AC-3200 if that makes a difference.

So, the icon growth is caused by the process lld2c br0. This process, for me, often had a PID of 313 or 317. If I do "ps | grep ll" I get the following:
Code:
# ps | grep ll
  308 routerad  1272 S    lld2d br0
  313 routerad  1236 S    lld2c br0
11186 routerad  4656 D    grep ll

When I go to /proc/313/fd I can see the following from an ls -al:
Code:
# ls -al
dr-x------    2 routerad root             0 Feb 12 11:49 .
dr-xr-xr-x    6 routerad root             0 May  5  2018 ..
lrwx------    1 routerad root            64 Feb 12 11:49 0 -> /dev/null
lrwx------    1 routerad root            64 Feb 12 11:49 1 -> /dev/null
lrwx------    1 routerad root            64 Feb 12 11:49 2 -> /dev/null
lrwx------    1 routerad root            64 Feb 12 11:49 3 -> socket:[1645]
lr-x------    1 routerad root            64 Feb 12 11:49 4 -> pipe:[1655]
l-wx------    1 routerad root            64 Feb 12 11:49 5 -> /jffs/usericon/<MACADDRESS>.ico

The ico file happens to have the mac address of a Netgear router on my network, and is also the first IP address listed in my LAN address list (also has the highest IP address on my network). Oh, and my Mac address file name, like @RattyMan starts 841b5e, so I'm guessing he might have another router somewhere too. There is no similar file in the /proc/308/fd directory, so I am sure it is the lld2c process causing problems.

Anyway, to stop the stupid growth I find that if I kill the "lld2c br0" process, the rapid growth stops. Killing with -9 leaves behind the lld2c-bro.pid file in /var/run, which stops the problem occurring until the pid file is cleaned up, say by flashing firmware.

However, for a more long term solution, I add the following to the services-start script in /jffs/scripts/services-start:
Code:
rm /jffs/usericon/<MACADDRESS>.ico
ln -s /dev/null /jffs/usericon/<MACADDRESS>.ico

Obviously, the jffs partition filling stops the addons working and has other impacts.

I hope that helps and if someone can stop the issue occurring, that would be awesome!

Thanks

David

Last edited:
Hi there
I have got exact same issue described here. The thing is I have Netgear WNDR4500 in my network too. I use it as a repeater in my kitchen. And very odd tho after I bought this device (the offer was too good to let go and I needed a repeater anyways) I started having this issue. I've always had and still have reservation under DHCP and have never had any issues with /jffs/usericon filling up. So long story short: I think I might have resolved my issue by deleting the reservation for that netgear device in the DHCP list and also cleaning that same entry from "/jffs/nmp_client_list" file. After rebooting the router (which I had done like 10 times now) it finally stopped appearing and growing in size... I'll keep an eye on it for a while and update you guys here. Hope it helps someone. Thanks

UPDATE:
It is still appearing! Take a look at this https://www.snbforums.com/threads/jffs-ico-file-rt-ac3200.40738/#post-556807

Last edited:
Not been on for a while as I've been away, but actually this is also happening on mt AC88U (returned the AX88U)!!

@Doverton brilliant! I'm going to monitor closely in the next few days, but the same applies - MAC address is for the Netgear on the network, same as @Teymur. I have an additional Wifi AP connect3ed via LAN which I use for 802.11g stuff in the house (Ring doorbell etc.) which is v1 WNDR4500!
I will look at RMerlins comment as well - but strange this seems to be all related to Netgear o_O