What's new

AX92U - slow internet speedtest after upgrade to 3.0.0.4.386_41535-g1caa24a firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I would recommend Ubiquiti Unifi their AP Wifi6 work great you will need a router doesn't need to be unifi router and one desktop to control all of them . All Unifi AP have mesh options, at the moment their unifi mesh 6 system which consist of a router and 2 AP is in beta stages. My parents home which is 2 story house each floor around 250 square meters I am using 3 Unifi AP LR and it works perfectly seemless transition from both floor and the 3rd AP is in the yard. I honestly tried Asus at home but it seems they still need lots of work on the software side for the mesh on the routers.
and a POE switch to power the APs?

I have Ubiquiti at work. It's never given a hint of trouble. I think that is a good call. However, they are like rocking horse poo to get hold of. LOL.. Which router would you suggest?
The Wifi 6 AP are available in my country Bulgaria, now for power you can do it PoE or with the adapter and wall socket(it comes in the box) . Any router will do doesn't matter it can be wireless or not it just needs a DHCP server. For managing them the cheapest option is to have desktop machine and config there once they are setup they don't need the machine to be powered on all the time. It's just to check and change settings when you need too. As for PoE powering you can get a switch with PoE and power them from that and that switch is connected to the Asus router, just disable wifi from the asus router. The APs don't need ethernet to them they can connect to each other if the signal is good.

I got rid of the same fatal error massages after doing a factory reset, and then disable the 2,4 wifi. Hope it is fixed in the next firmware releasen.

Well, I persevered with the AX92u for a little longer.. factory reset everything, flashed the 41712 firmware on the AX92u's and the Ax58u has 41700 firmware. Used the new Ax92u as the router with the other one set to aiMesh mode. Likewise on the Ax58u as well.
Ran this config for a few days. LOADS of wifi dropouts. LOADS of speed issues (mostly wifi) Strange things like IP cameras (wifi) dropping signals then completely unable to rejoin the network.. I had to factory reset them and start afresh.. they then seems to work for a day or so.. then crashed again. Phones / tablets losing internet connection randomly and not being able to rejoin the network at all, even after resetting the client wifi network.
So, with the help of a very good friend, I set about turning features on and off, testing and seeing what if anything gave a more stable network.

Well, today, my router has been up and running for 4 days (I know that isn't great, but considering I couldn't make it past 1 day before, I'm a happy bunny). All IP cameras have remained connected with zero drop outs. "most" clients have remained connected apart from a few random drops outs when moving between mesh nodes..but the big difference now with my new settings, I can reset the client wifi connection on the client itself and it rejoins. I've had zero speed issues with either wifi or wired connections. long may it continue. What did we do?

FIRSTLY - BACKUP.. Just in case.

1. Within wireless / professional we switched off all channels options for Beamforming (including the backhaul which seemed to take an age to do but eventually worked)
2. I only used the 2.4ghz channel for clients. (there are now a few on 5ghz channel 1 and they also seem stable so far)
3. QOS is switched off
4. I bound the IP cameras to the strongest mesh point
5. Extended my lease to clients to initially 5 days, now 21 days. Lan / DHCP Server / Lease time (5 days is 4320000 and 21 days is 1814400)
6. Finally I ran the optimization within the router. Aimesh / optimization

Thats it. I've no idea if I've crippled my chances of getting huge network speeds.. but honestly, i don't care... What I have achieved is a stable (ish) network so I don't get moans from everyone..

PLEASE NOTE: I'm not saying this is a solution for everyone. But it certainly has been the solution for me. If you are at your wits-end.. then have you got anything to lose by giving it a go.. I know I hadn't..

Good luck...

Well, I persevered with the AX92u for a little longer.. factory reset everything, flashed the 41712 firmware on the AX92u's and the Ax58u has 41700 firmware. Used the new Ax92u as the router with the other one set to aiMesh mode. Likewise on the Ax58u as well.
Ran this config for a few days. LOADS of wifi dropouts. LOADS of speed issues (mostly wifi) Strange things like IP cameras (wifi) dropping signals then completely unable to rejoin the network.. I had to factory reset them and start afresh.. they then seems to work for a day or so.. then crashed again. Phones / tablets losing internet connection randomly and not being able to rejoin the network at all, even after resetting the client wifi network.
So, with the help of a very good friend, I set about turning features on and off, testing and seeing what if anything gave a more stable network.

Well, today, my router has been up and running for 4 days (I know that isn't great, but considering I couldn't make it past 1 day before, I'm a happy bunny). All IP cameras have remained connected with zero drop outs. "most" clients have remained connected apart from a few random drops outs when moving between mesh nodes..but the big difference now with my new settings, I can reset the client wifi connection on the client itself and it rejoins. I've had zero speed issues with either wifi or wired connections. long may it continue. What did we do?

1. Within wireless / professional we switched off all channels options for Beamforming (including the backhaul which seemed to take an age to do but eventually worked)
2. I only used the 2.4ghz channel for clients. (there are now a few on 5ghz channel 1 and they also seem stable so far)
3. QOS is switched off
5. Extended my lease to clients to initially 5 days, now 21 days. Lan / DHCP Server / Lease time (5 days is 4320000 and 21 days is 1814400)

Thats it. I've no idea if I've crippled my chances of getting huge network speeds.. but honestly, i don't care... What I have achieved is a stable (ish) network so I don't get moans from everyone..

PLEASE NOTE: I'm not saying this is a solution for everyone. But it certainly has been the solution for me. If you are at your wits-end.. then have you got anything to lose by giving it a go.. I know I hadn't..

Good luck...
I would suggest enabling explicit and implicit beamforming for the backhaul.

This is where your network would benefit from beamforming as it will improve the signal and maybe even the data rate between the router and AP.

Beamforming will make your clients faster, at the very least you should enable explicit beamforming for clients on 5ghz

Last edited:
I would suggest enabling explicit and implicit beamforming for the backhaul.

This is where your network would benefit from beamforming as it will improve the signal and maybe even the data rate between the router and AP.

Beamforming will make your clients faster, at the very least you should enable explicit beamforming for clients on 5ghz
Thanks for the input and ordinarily, I'd accept the input and action it.. but please don't be offended when I say, I've spent far too much time on this stupid Asus thing already. I have very little faith in the brand any longer as tech support have failed to help or even confirm anything to me over the last few weeks of sheer agony to get a reliable connection. For now.. my system is working and is more than quick enough for me needs. I really don't want to take the risk.

Hi
Something news?
Has anyone tried the beta-version?
I have daily fatal error (log), firmware 41712, could imagine new firmware

Last edited:
Thanks for the input and ordinarily, I'd accept the input and action it.. but please don't be offended when I say, I've spent far too much time on this stupid Asus thing already. I have very little faith in the brand any longer as tech support have failed to help or even confirm anything to me over the last few weeks of sheer agony to get a reliable connection. For now.. my system is working and is more than quick enough for me needs. I really don't want to take the risk.
Based on recent history, I get your reluctance to change anything.
Hi
Something news?
Has anyone tried the beta-version?
I have daily fatal error (log), firmware 41712, could imagine new firmware

I can't imagine Asus rushing anything new out again without thoroughly testing it. I think we may have to wait a while, and that's a good thing.

Last edited:
" I've spent far too much time on this stupid Asus thing already. I have very little faith in the brand any longer"
I can only say the same .... Its clear that this router has issues and is too time consuming for ASUS to do a fix for us. And clearly a TOO advanced router for ASUS tech department.
The 41712 software is better, but still my network 5Ghz is dropping out from time to time. I should never have bought that shirt!

A quick update on my AX92u router with Ax92u and Ax58u nodes (The 92u are on 41712 firmware and the 58u is on 41700 firmware)

Since manually reverting back to the above firmwares, the system has been a lot more stable. We seem to still have drop outs on wifi, mostly when our devices are roaming between nodes. The whole Asus mesh doesn't seem particularly good at ensuring the connected device is in deed connected to the strongest signal. In fact, it seems to be the opposite to me. It moves connected clients to sometimes the weakest signals.. I've had to fix my stationery clients, such as IP cameras etc to a particular node, since doing this, they have remained connected. If I were to release them from the bind, I find that they constantly (two clients in particular that must be on the boarder of connection) dance around between on and off, going from the strongest signal to the weakest.. Pathetic really.

I'm not risking the update to the new beta firmware. I've lost all faith in Asus tech department actually testing the firmware they release.

3. QOS is switched off

Good luck...
I'm having similar issues with my RT-AX982U (2-pack) running the 41712 firmware. Like you, I've been turning features on and off to diagnose the problem and spend too much time on it! After a few days, clients disconnect and can't get an IP address. Rebooting the router or changing any meaningless setting and saving it, will restore the connection. I tried many configurations, from a custom IP range for DHCP to manually assigned IPs, no QOS, etc.

By disabling Smart Connect and setting up unique SSIDs for each band, I figured out the problem is with the 5 Ghz - 1 band. If I set the bandwidth to 20 Mhz I can get up to 7 days of worry free stable WiFi. The control channel doesn't matter - they all work. But if I set the bandwidth to 40 or 80 Mhz, I get only 1-2 days of stable WiFi on this band. 2.4 and 5 Ghz - 2 are stable and don't drop clients. Also, when I had to enable a guest WiFi network on 5 Ghz-1, it made the whole 5Ghz-1 band crash within 12 hours.

I called ASUS and they had me re-set up the node using wireless backhaul instead of ethernet - they said these routers are designed to work as wireless mesh routers and ethernet backhaul is not as stable. I think that's a joke, but I entertained them and changed it today. We'll see how long it takes before it drops clients again.

I saw there's a new beta firmware, but I'm reluctant to apply it ... Does anyone have any wisdom they can share on why the 5Ghz-1 band is dropping clients?

Last edited:
By disabling Smart Connect and setting up unique SSIDs for each band, I figured out the problem is with the 5 Ghz - 1 band. If I set the bandwidth to 20 Mhz I can get up to 7 days of worry free stable WiFi. The control channel doesn't matter - they all work. But if I set the bandwidth to 40 or 80 Mhz, I get only 1-2 days of stable WiFi on this band. 2.4 and 5 Ghz - 2 are stable and don't drop clients. Also, when I had to enable a guest WiFi network on 5 Ghz-1, it made the whole 5Ghz-1 band crash within 12 hours.
Yes, i see exactly the same issue with the guest network enabled. The whole network is getting unstable.
But without the guest network enabled its only the 5Ghz network who is failing. So my trick is to boot the routers every night at 04:00 o'clock - and it seems to work. Unless when i enable the guest network obviously :mad:

I'm having similar issues with my RT-AX982U (2-pack) running the 41712 firmware. Like you, I've been turning features on and off to diagnose the problem and spend too much time on it! After a few days, clients disconnect and can't get an IP address. Rebooting the router or changing any meaningless setting and saving it, will restore the connection. I tried many configurations, from a custom IP range for DHCP to manually assigned IPs, no QOS, etc.

I called ASUS and they had me re-set up the node using wireless backhaul instead of ethernet - they said these routers are designed to work as wireless mesh routers and ethernet backhaul is not as stable. I think that's a joke, but I entertained them and changed it today. We'll see how long it takes before it drops clients again.

I saw there's a new beta firmware, but I'm reluctant to apply it ... Does anyone have any wisdom they can share on why the 5Ghz-1 band is dropping clients?
Have you tried setting the wireless channel selection to auto for both 5ghz and 2.4ghz? Doing that significantly improved throughput and reliability, this is true for all firmware's I've used.

Have you tried setting the wireless channel selection to auto for both 5ghz and 2.4ghz? Doing that significantly improved throughput and reliability, this is true for all firmware's I've used.
Channel was set to Auto when Smart Connect was enabled and I was having these issues. I'll try auto again with individual SSIDs and see if it helps.

I'm on 4 days of uptime right now, after I reset the node and added it w/out ethernet - don't want to jinx it :)

Channel was set to Auto when Smart Connect was enabled and I was having these issues. I'll try auto again with individual SSIDs and see if it helps.

I'm on 4 days of uptime right now, after I reset the node and added it w/out ethernet - don't want to jinx it :)
Smart Connect may never be perfect but it does work really well most of the time. Smart connect is one of the main features of a mesh, clients are automatically put onto the appropriate band based on their distance from the AP.

It's worth noting that these routers are designed to be used with a wireless backhaul. They are marketed as a mesh solution. When setup as intended and with the latest firmware they work really well.

If Asus has stated that wired backhaul isn't stable, you may have to think about returning the AX92u's and opting for something different. They don't appear to be the best setup for your needs. The AX92u serves a niche market. If you want anything other than a 2x2 wifi 5 mesh network with a wireless backhaul, there are better solutions available from Asus.

Last edited:
I need a recommendation or guidance …

My AX92U gives me several fatal errors and shutdowns from all three channels several times a day. I have tried restarting several times without success, it works for a few hours.

Which software version works best, what do you recommend? Need help, thanks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!