What's new

AX92U - slow internet speedtest after upgrade to 3.0.0.4.386_41535-g1caa24a firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I need a recommendation or guidance …

My AX92U gives me several fatal errors and shutdowns from all three channels several times a day. I have tried restarting several times without success, it works for a few hours.

Which software version works best, what do you recommend? Need help, thanks.
3.0.0.4.386_41712 (the latest version)

This fixes all the issues. Just make sure you do a full hardware reset.

Thank you very much for the helpI... I have already the latest firmware version (3.0.0.4.386_41712), so I need only a hard reset? I don’t need to reinstall the same firmware again?

A hard reset is all that's required. This will clear any conflicting values from previous firmware in NVRAM.

It's worth noting that the majority of disconnecting WiFi issues are caused by people enabling manual channel selection.

Optimal channel selection is based on noise floor and utilisation. People struggle with this as they look at charts and presume the best channel is the one with the least amount of AP's, it's not. If you use that as a metric you'll end up sharing your channel with torrent guy and Netflix family.

Torrent guy is uploading linux ISO's 24/7 and Netflix family are also downloading the latest 1TB COD update and backing up cat videos to the cloud, in 4K.

Last edited:
I'm not getting fatal errors very often, but I do have several devices that just lose functional wifi connectivity on a regular basis. For example, I'm sitting here less than 2 feet from my main AX92 (I have one remote AX92 downstairs, wifi backhaul), and my phone while 'connected' to wifi, has the dreaded ! next to it. My stepson just came in to tell me his Chromebook is disconnected, which happens a couple of times a week. He is on the other side of the wall from the router. I generally solve it by toggling the authentication method from WPA/WPA2 to WPA2, and then back again when it inevitably fails. This works and saves me from having to do a full reboot.

The only syslog events I see that might be related are these "wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(490): eth6: Deauth_ind 64:C2:DE:52:A8:3C, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:0"

Research tells me this is more or less normal, however, these devices are active, physically static and should not be disassociating from wifi. I do also have a pretty much repeating error - kernel: CFG80211-ERROR) wl_cfg80211_change_station : WLC_SCB_AUTHORIZE sta_flags_mask not set

This is getting quite frustrating. At least my wireless backhaul issue was fixed awhile back or I think I'd light these things on fire by now.

My ax92u reports that new firmware is available 3.0.0.4.386_43084-g728dd24. I can not find any info or release notes on the ASUS website. Do any of you have more info on this??

Version 3.0.0.4.386.43084
2021/06/03 61.96 MBytes
ASUS RT-AX92U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.43084
1.Fixed the FragAttack vulnerability.
2.Fixed DoS vulnerability. Thanks for Tsinghua University NISL's contribution.
3.Improved system stability.
4.Fixed GUI bugs.
5.Security Fixed: CVE-2020-25681, CVE-2020-25682, CVE-2020-25683, CVE-2020-25687, CVE-2020-25684, CVE-2020-25685, CVE-2020-25686

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 2ddbe4aa7ad87b8de519c9f2fcd8bcab

Thanks, no3 is interesting...., hope it fixes some of the issues reported in this thread...

Version 3.0.0.4.386.43084
2021/06/03 61.96 MBytes
ASUS RT-AX92U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.43084
1.Fixed the FragAttack vulnerability.
2.Fixed DoS vulnerability. Thanks for Tsinghua University NISL's contribution.
3.Improved system stability.
4.Fixed GUI bugs.
5.Security Fixed: CVE-2020-25681, CVE-2020-25682, CVE-2020-25683, CVE-2020-25687, CVE-2020-25684, CVE-2020-25685, CVE-2020-25686

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 2ddbe4aa7ad87b8de519c9f2fcd8bcab
Link please

My ax92u reports that new firmware is available 3.0.0.4.386_43084-g728dd24. I can not find any info or release notes on the ASUS website. Do any of you have more info on this??
Mine are working so well I just don't want to risk it. I wish they would elaborate on 3 and 4.

Thinking about it, mine aren't just working well, they are absolutely outstanding.

I now get over 900mb/s down and up, even in the next room. The wireless backhaul is connected at over 3gbps!

To get this speed, just make sure the wireless backhaul is forced into 160mhz only mode with AX only. Asus should have have made the router do more to select this mode by default!

Screenshot_20210605-054628_Speedtest.jpg

Last edited:
I updated to the new version this AM. Seems to be working normally. I have 2 AX92U and 1 older AC68U in a mesh. Has been very stable as a set-up for my family and I’m very happy with the equipment. I run 1 92U as the router connected to the Verizon ONT and the have the other 2 wired backhaul to the router. Very effective.

Last edited:
I took the plunge and upgraded to 386.43804 yesterday. So far so good. Wired speed and wireless speeds are as expected. Wireless signal is stable in router and AP. The guest network on the AP Mode still doesn't isolate -- it would be nice if ASUS fixed this some day. (Guest mode works on Mesh nodes (Guest Network 1), but not AP Mode). If I see any issues, I will post about them.

Mic gang and Piggie. Did you perform a clean or dirty upgrade. I've seen in the other thread people complaining about issues with this new firmware. What's your uptime, any crashes or reboots?

I simply used the App‘s firmware upgrade feature on my IPad. I’ve upgraded the firmware that way each time with good success. No crashes since upgrading to this firmware, with a little over 3 days uptime. I have my routers set to reboot 2x per week overnight, with the latest being Wednesday at 3AM. That lines up with the system uptime.

Mic gang and Piggie. Did you perform a clean or dirty upgrade. I've seen in the other thread people complaining about issues with this new firmware. What's your uptime, any crashes or reboots?
I'm a lazy. For incremental upgrades - with no prior issues, I usually go dirty. If something goes wrong, I will go clean. In this case, I haven't had any issues, yet. It's been 1 day 10 hours, since the upgrade. No unusual messages in the system log in either the router or AP. The last firmware (41994) I used was very stable. The only time that went down was during an extended power outage when my UPS ran out of juice. Between the power outage, 41994 was rock solid, with no crashes or reboots. I'm hoping this one will be as stable.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!