What's new

AX92U - slow internet speedtest after upgrade to 3.0.0.4.386_41535-g1caa24a firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This firmware also broke my RT-AC88U's speed completely as well. The router reports high 500+ mb connections to devices but it seems like it's internally capped to 128mbit speeds.. iPerf testing shows it pegged right at 128mbit = 16 MB/sec .. Asus clearly doesn't test their own firmware :/

I found this post by searching the new firmware number, and happy to see I am not alone here! I submitted feedback to ASUS last night and have not heard anything back yet.

This is the second firmware update that has hosed me. (The one before this one Failed upgrading which seemed to have bricked the unit until I Factory reset it and got it back to life)

Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one. :)

I'm am having the same issues. My speedtests start out at a little below expected speeds, then quickly slow to a crawl. Noticed it a couple days after the firmware upgrade when I was uploading a picture in a discord server, and it took near 30 seconds. Disabling QoS since it seems this is the only troublesome feature I have enabled.

I have the same slow transfer issue with 386.41535 on AX92u. With the previous version, 386.40451, with 1gbps internet service, I would get around 980 mbps wired connection and 900 mbps wireless (at the router). These speeds are with AI Protection enabled. With the new version, 386.41535, speeds drop to 150--200 mbps wired and wireless with AI Protection enabled. If I turn off AI protection in 386.41535, speeds run normally.

I reverted back to 386.40451. I received an error flashing 386.40451, so I had to flash 384.9177, then flash 386.40451.

I have the same slow transfer issue with 386.41535 on AX92u. With the previous version, 386.40451, with 1gbps internet service, I would get around 980 mbps wired connection and 900 mbps wireless (at the router). These speeds are with AI Protection enabled. With the new version, 386.41535, speeds drop to 150--200 mbps wired and wireless with AI Protection enabled. If I turn off AI protection in 386.41535, speeds run normally.

I reverted back to 386.40451. I received an error flashing 386.40451, so I had to flash 384.9177, then flash 386.40451.

Pretty damn good speeds! May I ask what your settings are to get these speeds? I've had my AX92U's for a couple of weeks or so and I'm still trying to figure out best settings for best wired and wireless speeds. Thanks!

Pretty damn good speeds! May I ask what your settings are to get these speeds? I've had my AX92U's for a couple of weeks or so and I'm still trying to figure out best settings for best wired and wireless speeds. Thanks!

I'm using pretty much just the stock settings. I get 900mbs on AX channel at the router with Tab S7. Obviously, as I move away from the router, the speeds drop down. With AC clients I max out around 600-700 mbps.

Tab S7.PNG

Man you made my day! I've disabled AI protection and speeds are back to normal. Meaning the issue in this firmware occurs if AI protection is enabled.
For now I'll leave it off until Asus gets their act together with a new properly working firmware.

Anybody got a response from Asus support ?

Edit :From my side their answer is: "please update with the last firmware"
LOL

Last edited:
Man you made my day! I've disabled AI protection and speeds are back to normal. Meaning the issue in this firmware occurs if AI protection is enabled.
For now I'll leave it off until Asus gets their act together with a new properly working firmware.

AI Protection was off for me and it still seems to cap bandwidth for me..

Fully Reset Router and Network

The above (pertinent, for your specific router) suggestions may help get your router using the new firmware's expected defaults once again.

What about parental control? Do you have that turned on?

Negative.. it's just me solo, I left everything mostly default - although I have a AiMesh Node.. and it's affecting the second node, not the primary (primary is a GT-AX11000) and the unit affected is the RT-AC88U (which is the only node). So assuming it could be some settings not being pushed down properly from the main node.. I'll likely have to downgrade to get around this or just deal with it until Asus decides to push the next "fixed" firmware.

I was going to start a new post on my finding on this new firmware on RT-AX92U and found this post!

I also noticed a huge drop of internet speed from any wired / wireless clients after upgrading. I had a 1GB connection and my laptop using wired connection before can reach 900mbps+ upload/download. But after upgrading it downs to 400mbps download and 50-100 mbps upload!!!

So I did a factory reset on both the main units and the node. Initially everything come back to normal but when I setup my router the slow connection happens again (thought if I use the speed test feature on router UI it report around 700 up /down speed). And I also found that my work VPN connection on a laptop will drop whenever I run any speed test in any clients.

Eventually I play around the setting and found that if I enable either (or both) Traffic Analyzer or Bandwidth Monitor, the slow connection will come. QoS seems no issue and I did not test the AIProtection.

I also tried to monitor the CPU usage using the router UI. If the Traffic Analyzer / Bandwidth Monitor is ON, the CPU will go to 100 for core 1 and 50 for core 2 when I run speed test. However if I turn off the feature, the CPU will stay in very low usage (e.g. < 5%), seems running speed test does not require any cpu resource from the router.

I did not notice this issue in previous firmware (though I did not recall I run speed test in previous upgrade) but I was having a stable network before. Seems this is a bug from new firmware? I will disable those features for now.

I spoke too soon. Even after disable the features that will impact speeds, after running for about 12 hours my router suddenly slow a lot and VPN connection keep dropping. Eventually I would have to restart the router manually to resolve the issue.

The new firmware is definitely very unstable.

Same issue here since the 3.0.0.4.386_41535 version
reported the issue via the feedback function.

As per today it looks like the new firmware is not available anymore on the asus website.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!