What's new

AX92U - slow internet speedtest after upgrade to 3.0.0.4.386_41535-g1caa24a firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I also upgraded the new firmware. I noticed yesterday a Samsung TV disconnected from the network. I've never had any issues like this before.

I also upgraded the new firmware. I noticed yesterday a Samsung TV disconnected from the network. I've never had any issues like this before.
I had the same problem. A tizen based Samsung tv suddenly lost connection.
My Sonos keeps losing connection too. All as of the new firmware on my ax92u mesh system

Weird I have not noticed this with my AX92+GT2900 Merlin in wired backhaul mode. Do not have any of the extra features on and speeds seem to be fine for me so far.

We are having issues with the AX92u crashing multiple times per day.

Has anybody else heard anything back from Asus? There appears to be multiple issues with this firmware.

Last edited:
there is no word that if a new fix will be provided in days or a month... so I better perform a downgrade first.

Hope I don't need to re pair my noded ad this is absolutely a nightmare. (I need to keep retry as the process usually fail until I tried 5 or more times.)

Guess what guys, Asus has pulled the defective firmware from their site. Its no longer available for download.
Amazing - they do not bother to respond to our feedbacks, use us as beta testers without telling us and now leave us to deal with the issues their non-stable firmware created.
Shame on Asus for such a bad customer relationship management process :mad:

so i woke up early this morning and was able to downgrade the firmware the 3.0.0.4.386_40451-g30f1b6c which is the last firmware I had running before I upgraded.

Something I have noticed. i get speeds of anywhere from 950 mbps to 1 gb +, however when I enable Aiprotection/QoS/Parental control/ or traffic analyzer, my speed comes down to about 550 and 650. why is this stuff so heavy and taxing on your internet speed? if that is the case then this is not a good router and makes no sense if you have to sacrifice bandwidth.

I might as well use the provider router and just install a firewall with way better protection and I still have my same speeds.

let me know what you guys thing.

Nothing new here about your discovery. Any current consumer router is grossly underpowered for 1Gbps ISP connections (and even lower) when you turn on every feature they offer.

Nothing could make me use the ISP's router (ever). Your call on that.

With a maximum of 1GB RAM and 4x 1.8GHz meh cores, on most medium to high-end routers today, we're still a long way off from having the hardware to have both a secure and the fastest online experience.

I'm mentioned this a few times. We need 4GB RAM on an i3 class processor or better for the ISP speeds some of us have. In addition to a true SSD (256GB) for the OS and not just 256MB 'nand' plus a whole 63MB JFFS storage either. Add a PCIe port to add our own (internal) m.2 SSD for scripts, etc. would be good too.

All the above needs to be user-replaceable and upgradeable too. No point giving us these 'necessities' for a modern router and then soldering in the cheapest components possible to save the manufacturers $0.02 per unit.

Nothing new here about your discovery. Any current consumer router is grossly underpowered for 1Gbps ISP connections (and even lower) when you turn on every feature they offer.

Nothing could make me use the ISP's router (ever). Your call on that.

With a maximum of 1GB RAM and 4x 1.8GHz meh cores, on most medium to high-end routers today, we're still a long way off from having the hardware to have both a secure and the fastest online experience.

I'm mentioned this a few times. We need 4GB RAM on an i3 class processor or better for the ISP speeds some of us have. In addition to a true SSD (256GB) for the OS and not just 256MB 'nand' plus a whole 63MB JFFS storage either. Add a PCIe port to add our own (internal) m.2 SSD for scripts, etc. would be good too.

All the above needs to be user-replaceable and upgradeable too. No point giving us these 'necessities' for a modern router and then soldering in the cheapest components possible to save the manufacturers $0.02 per unit.

The thing is, everything was working fine for us until we upgraded the firmware. I rather foolishly presumed that being a consumer router, Asus would have performed extensive testing on the firmware before releasing it.

I've definitely learnt a valuable lesson. It would seem we all need to find the most stable firmware that fixes all known security threats and just install that.

Nothing new here about your discovery. Any current consumer router is grossly underpowered for 1Gbps ISP connections (and even lower) when you turn on every feature they offer...
...With a maximum of 1GB RAM and 4x 1.8GHz meh cores, on most medium to high-end routers today, we're still a long way off from having the hardware to have both a secure and the fastest online experience.

...and of course we keep reading posts about how many of Asus's upper end and premium routers are overkill for their needs. Maybe that's true right now but Asus always adds features and added functionality with future firmware updates. It's not an ideal solution but one way to lessen the impact of future firmware bloat is to start with the best spec hardware (RAM, SoC, cores, etc..) that you can afford right now.

Thinking you are doing yourself a favor by saving $20 or $50 right now on a new $200 router may force an earlier upgrade in the near future. If your current router is sufficient for your needs you can keep using it as long as it works. Save your money to cover the extra costs needed for when you are ready for a significant upgrade. Anyway...others are welcome to disagree but that's my experienced opinion.

Last edited:
Email response from Asus support !!!!

Thank you for contacting ASUS Support.

The latest firmware version of this router is Version 3.0.0.4.386.40451 from 22/10/2020.

Version 3.0.0.4.386_41535 is for a COMPLETELY different router.

What problems are you experiencing with your RT-AX92U?

Do not hesitate to contact us again for further support.
We are always happy to help you.

Sincerely, Best Regards,
xxxxxxxxx
ASUS Nordic
Technical Support Department

Email response from Asus support !!!!

Thank you for contacting ASUS Support.

The latest firmware version of this router is Version 3.0.0.4.386.40451 from 22/10/2020.

Version 3.0.0.4.386_41535 is for a COMPLETELY different router.

What problems are you experiencing with your RT-AX92U?

Do not hesitate to contact us again for further support.
We are always happy to help you.

Sincerely, Best Regards,
xxxxxxxxx
ASUS Nordic
Technical Support Department

Wow, this is the one of the worst responses I've ever seen. Asus rolled out 386.41535 for the AX92u and then decides its for the wrong router. And then they have the nerve to ask what the problem is?!!! Well at least we know why it didn't work and crashed everyone's routers.

@Piggie, that is not what I read. They have the right to change their mind, of course, which is the 'latest' firmware for whatever models they support.

Pointedly, they didn't release one for the wrong model. Neither did it crash 'everyone's' router.

Asus rolled out 386.41535 for my Ax92u system and now they say they didnt? Internet speeds are terrible with this build! They need to bring out new firmware or resign the firmware of 22-10 as their latest again.
367E6CA7-CE53-4706-B2AF-113A28F839C2.jpeg

Still no answer from asus support. Still got this terrible firmware. Looking to revert to the old software without factory reset as there are people depending on the connection

Still no answer from asus support. Still got this terrible firmware. Looking to revert to the old software without factory reset as there are people depending on the connection
They seem to not care. No response no apology from them. Really disappointed from how they managed this.
I ended up doing a settings backup, full factory reset and manual firmware update to the previous version (last know good, at least for me).
It's working "normally" again now and I will surely not do the auto update in the future before I check out feedbacks from people. Lesson learned!

You need to do a hard factory reset after downgrading the firmware, it's a kernel problem. If you downgrade without resetting it, your router will still have the crashing issue.

Judging by the fact Asus pulled it from their site, they probably pushed us the wrong firmware!

I've downgraded mine and it's perfect now. Update: spoke too soon, 386 is crashing too

Last edited:
AX92U in AP-mode – firmware Version 3.0.0.4.386_41535, non AiMesh
My experience so far …

• During the night I lost the 5Ghz-1 network, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz-2 worked as normal. Tried to restart several times without success. Ended with hard reset and new (old) firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.40451 installed.
  • Everything looked normal, so I should try to enable "enable smart connection", I did not understand the function so I tried to return to the "off" position. As a result, I lost both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz-2 network. New hard reset.
  • It looks like everything is working now, but I'm disappointed with the signal strength compared to the RT-AC86U (RT-AC2900)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!