What's new

[B&H] - MacBook Pro 14 - M1 Max 64GB/2TB/32Core GPU - $2499

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
This one is a bit esoteric, but if you're a Mac person - this is a screaming deal... Space Grey only

This is $1600 off... even refurb on the Apple store - they're $3200

Offer ends Jun 22 at 8:59 PM PDT

This one is a bit esoteric, but if you're a Mac person - this is a screaming deal... Space Grey only

Only mention that it is esoteric as this is typically not a retail config, it's usually BTO from the online store as most retail outlets don't want to sit on an inventory of $4100 high end machines...

Did I pull the trigger on the deal - h**l yes I did, as I was in the market anyways... yes, I can afford nice things from time to time

Interesting to note is that it did have a previous OS release... which suggests they were on the shelf for a bit...

That is/was a great deal! Price has only increased $200.

Last edited:
Is the M2 chip that much greater than the M1 chip?

I think it depends on the tasks at hand - M1 is a subset of the M1-Pro/M1-Max...

M2(*) is a minor speed bump - single core/gpu gets an uplift... less than 20 percent - but M2's get a bit more allocations of CPU e-Cores and GPU units on some of them...

All the M1's in single core - they're pretty close in single thread - M1-Pro/Max - they only have 2 E-Cores, but they double clock them...

M2 machines - all have the same amount of E-Core, clocked the same, so it's M2 with 4 P-Cores vs. M2-Pro/Max with double that number...

GPU scaling is different between M1/M2 - M1 can be 7 or 8 cores, M1-Pro is a bit more at 14/16, and M1-Max is 24/32 - binning at the fab perhaps...

M2 just ups the numbers on the GPU cores...

here's the deal though - and that is RAM bandwidth - as it does look like Apple is focused not on just CPU/GPU, but also acceleration for certain tasks...

M1 - 66 GB/s
M-Pro - 200 GB/s
M-Max - 400 GB/s

M2 bumps the addressing space, but M1-Pro/Max is LPDDR5, as is their peers over in M2 land...

For me - it's overkill with the Max - but it's also taking away that Apple seems to put a lot of emphasis on throughput over single core execution...

Given that - the Single Core on M1 or M2 - still very good...

That is/was a great deal! Price has only increased $200.

Shop around - there are other good deals on 14/16 Macbook Pro's - esp on the Max variants...

Here's another - MBP 16 M1-Max 32GB/2TB...

As a side note...

Some OSX history...

• 10.4 Tiger - introduced Intel Support - PPC32/64 fully supported, last release for Classic/BlueBox - one could run PPC MacOS classic apps there - some PPC machines could still dual-boot classic and OSX
  • 10.5 Leopard - last PPC32/64 release for G3/G4/G5 macs
  • 10.6 Snow Leopard - Last X86 release, everything later was 64bit only for Intel - this cut out the first round of Intel Macs - this was also the end of the Rosetta PPC translator for legacy apps that were OSX native
  • 10.7 - Lion - 64 bit Intel for Core2Duo and beyond...

Apple shutdown PPC fairly quickly - once Mac Pro made the jump, then it was all about moving forward with AMD64... there Apple got caught up in the Intel 64 bit transition with Core2Duo and Nehalem...

The intel 32 bit Macs had a fairly short run - 10.4 to 10.6...

Seems like with the ARM transition, it's going a bit smoother - I suspect Sonoma is likely the last AMD64 release based on past experience (I got caught short on both PPC and 32-bit intel as noted above)...

Now that Apple has their entire stack - HW/SW/Toolchain focused on their platform - everything from the HomePod Mini to the Mac Pro...

B&H and the deals are back for high-end MacBook Pro M1 Max (both 14 and 16 inch) - limited time only - between 1500 to 1900 off for these high-end configs