What's new

"Best" new router that supports Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks everyone for the help!

It looks like I have $250 in gift cards for BestBuy to help knock the price down, so before taxes I'm looking at $149 for the GT-AX6000. Sound like a good deal? I've had this RT-AC68U now for going on 9 years, so it kinda shows that I don't like updating routers all that often. lol
Amazon has it down to $330 today; have BB price match it.

Just received my GT-AX6000 (got a $120 discounts) and would like to know if I am better flash it to the latest Asus F/W before jumping to 388.1? Note that it will be replacing my aging RT-AC86U (still no issues with it). My intention is to first run it at basic configuration before adding all the same add-ons setup no my old router.

My advice is to flash it to the firmware you want to use it with. Then do a full reset to factory defaults and don't import any old saved config files, or insert any previously used USB drive that was used for amtm and/or scripts (at least, not before you format the USB drive on a PC to NTFS format first).

Using stock firmware (upgraded to the latest or not) makes no sense. Flash the firmware you want to use right away.

My advice is to flash it to the firmware you want to use it with. Then do a full reset to factory defaults and don't import any old saved config files, or insert any previously used USB drive that was used for amtm and/or scripts (at least, not before you format the USB drive on a PC to NTFS format first).

Using stock firmware (upgraded to the latest or not) makes no sense. Flash the firmware you want to use right away.
Thanks @L&LD. I was only asking that question since several other GT-AX6000 owners have been reporting several issues with that router (mind you that it is also the case with the RT-AC86U but I had not any issues with it (even the temperature is averaging 77°C without any fans).

Thanks @L&LD. I was only asking that question since several other GT-AX6000 owners have been reporting several issues with that router (mind you that it is also the case with the RT-AC86U but I had not any issues with it (even the temperature is averaging 77°C without any fans).
I got me a new GT-AX6000 for a fantastic black friday price, and plan on getting it up and running during the xmas break... I'm planning on flashing the Merlin-UI-version (non-ROG-version) of 388.1 onto it, and setting it up from scratch.

I got me a new GT-AX6000 for a fantastic black friday price, and plan on getting it up and running during the xmas break... I'm planning on flashing the Merlin-UI-version (non-ROG-version) of 388.1 onto it, and setting it up from scratch.
Hi @Viktor Jaep,

I was aware that you had also purchased that router and that you will be "upgrading", like me, from the RT-AC86U, since I am not a gamer, other than for artistic reasons, is there any advantage to use the non-ROG-version (RMerlin-UI) instead?

Hi @Viktor Jaep,

I was aware that you had also purchased that router and that you will be "upgrading", like me, from the RT-AC86U, since I am not a gamer, other than for artistic reasons, is there any advantage to use the non-ROG-version (RMerlin-UI) instead?
I'm in the same boat (RT-AC86U to GT-AX6000) and also plan to install the non-ROG 388.1, since I think that has a higher chance of being maintained by Merlin than the ROG version (I'm no gamer either)

Hi @Viktor Jaep,

As RMerlin stated, the ROG version is basically a test. Truthfully, I don't foresee him supporting both versions in the long term. The safe choice would be to stick with the non-ROG version, because that's the one he'll most likely stick with, and because I am not a huge fan of having to reload firmware from scratch and fixing all my settings again! Lol

Last edited:
As RMerlin stated, the ROG version is basically a test. Truthfully, I don't foresee him supporting both versions in the long term. The safe choice would be to stick with the non-ROG version, because that's the one he'll most likely stick with, and because I am not a huge fan of having to reload firmware from scratch and fixing all my settings again! Lol
Same feeling about having to reload firmware and settings from scratch...

Thanks

The best new router is the GT-AX6000 because it offers the best balance of hardware and features today. In addition to noticeably improved performance (~20% faster throughput than the last 'king' I've used extensively; the RT-AX86U).

thanks for this information, do you feel the GT-AX6000 20% faster throughput would be noticeable against the RT-AX86U during Wireguard VPN overall performance or are we still limited due to NAT acceleration ?
(in reference to Merlins 388.1 firmware comment of 300-350Mbps max)?

thanks

Last edited:
Spotted a lot of RT-AX86U units going up on ebay suddenly where as last 3-4 weeks nothing, is this due to them trying to go for the AX86U Pro or GT-AX6000?

Just trying to get my head around that since I would have felt with the 388.1 release people would be happy to flash there AX86U and enjoy with Merlin, baffling stuff.

I don't use WG, but the 2GHz processor in the GT-AX6000 is faster than the 1.8GHz processor the RT-AX86U uses.

The RT-AX86U Pro is a non-starter for me unless it is much less than the GT-AX6000 and (less) than the RT-AX86U.

Why? Because it is still not hardware equivalent to the GT-AX6000 (the most hardware-balanced router Asus has released in the last few years).

Right now, the 'pro' is an unconfirmed quantity. At least the RT-AX86U is known and performs exceptionally well, within its limitations.

For some reason, one of our members had decided (months ago, when the first info was becoming available) that the RT-AX86U Pro model is a "non-starter", and pretty consistently dismisses this model. Yes, it isn't quite the exquisite jewel that he esteems of the GT-AX6000, and it's true that the new Pro model will lack the extra (2nd) 2.5Gb port and 4x4 2.4Ghz radio (3x3 2.4Ghz only on the Pro), but they are otherwise the same.

Now we have choices: the RT-AX86U Pro just recently received a MSRP on the Asus website of $299.99, so that puts it $30 less than the "new" lower list (and commonly available retail) for the GT-AX6000 of $329.99. At that difference, it boils down to personal choice, in particular in regards to form factor. Either way, the GT model might be on it's way out (it's currently unavailable directly from Asus in the US, plenty still available at retail), and the new Pro hasn't really hit retail or internet stores in the US.

new Pro hasn't really hit retail or internet stores in the US.
Not in stock but available for preorder here:

Not in stock but available for preorder here:

Oh wow.
Shameless plug for the non-Pro im selling much cheaper.

So, since I am in the process of looking to update my RT-AC68u, I found this discussion and have a few questions for users who have purchased the GT-AX6000 and from users of the RT-AX88u, which I use as my master, with my mesh setup. I see that major differences between the ax6000 and the ax88u is CPU, dlna enabled, addition of 2, 2.5gb ports, and it looks like both use the same radio chip.

So, anyone using this combo in a mesh setup.
Which router are you using as a master.
If the ax6000 is used as master and I connect my desktop to 2.5gb port is the improvement without updating my desktop to a 2.5gb network card.
Does the ax-6000 run hot. Will it need some added cooling.

Since I have dsl and fiber is still a year or so away, I suspect I really would not see any improvement with desktop connected to the 2.5gb port.

I`m sure I have more questions but got to go shovel snow before it turns to rainy mess.

So, since I am in the process of looking to update my RT-AC68u, I found this discussion and have a few questions for users who have purchased the GT-AX6000 and from users of the RT-AX88u, which I use as my master, with my mesh setup. I see that major differences between the ax6000 and the ax88u is CPU, dlna enabled, addition of 2, 2.5gb ports, and it looks like both use the same radio chip.

So, anyone using this combo in a mesh setup.
Which router are you using as a master.
If the ax6000 is used as master and I connect my desktop to 2.5gb port is the improvement without updating my desktop to a 2.5gb network card.
Does the ax-6000 run hot. Will it need some added cooling.

Since I have dsl and fiber is still a year or so away, I suspect I really would not see any improvement with desktop connected to the 2.5gb port.

I`m sure I have more questions but got to go shovel snow before it turns to rainy mess.
I just replaced my old setup (RT-AC86U main, two RT-AC68U AiMesh's, wired) with a GT-AX6000 last week or so.

Installed it out of the box to check out the ROG UI for a day or so, then installed Merlin 388.1 non-ROG. I like the familiar screens better.

I moved my RT-AC86U out to my covered outdoor patio (about 50 feet from my house) replacing the RT-AC68U I had there. I'm sure it will like the cooler ambient temperatures out there, and I removed the USB fan I had attached to it. Re-flashed both my AiMesh's firmware to the standard ASUS flavor. Configured AiMesh's and it has been solid since.

I connected the extra 2.5 gb port to my QNAP NAS, but it only has a 1 gb port, so no benefit, unless I add a 10 gb PCIe card to it. Actually I don't think I have anything on my network to take advantage of that 2.5 gb speed, yet, and my WAN is only 1 gb anyway.

Had to carve out some extra space for it on my office bookshelf to fit it there. Folks think the changing color logo light is kinda cool. CPU temp seems to run between 160-165 F, so I think it will be fine without a fan, IMHO. Without the fan I had on the RT-AC86U it's a been quieter here in the office.

Yep, I like the GT-AX6000 so far, even if it is a bit big and comely looking.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!