What's new

Best Omada APs for Gigabit ethernet network and sub-gigabit WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Brockwell

New Around Here
Hi

I'm looking to set up a TP Link Omada wireless network in my home.

Network architecture is something like this:

2x 5G wireless internet connections --> TP Link Omada ER 605 router --> PoE switch --> 3x TP Link Omada APs

Also connected to the switch will be:

1. TP Link Omada OC 200 (via PoE)
2. Apple TV (via cat 6)
3. NAS (via cat 6)

All of the above will be gigabit ethernet connections - and the 2x WANs are obviously very sub-gigabit lines.

I'm not quite sure which APs to get.

The leading options seem to be:
1. TP Link Omada EAP 610 (USD 82)
2. TP Link Omada EAP 650 (USD 117)
3. TP Link Omada EAP 670 (USD 135)

The main difference between the three seems to be the 5GHz max data rate (1201, 2402 and 4804 Mbps respectively).

You can see a table setting out all the specs here: https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/...Feb+2023)+-+6+-+US+Model+APs.png?format=2500w

My questions are:

1. since everything will only be connected by gigabit ethernet (and not 2.5gb ethernet), is there any point getting the EAP 650 or 670? It seems the ethernet backhaul could be a bottleneck - but if real world wifi speeds aren't anything like the package, then perhaps this won't be such a bottle neck and there is some benefit of having the more expensive APs?

2. does the answer change if one of the APs might be connected by wireless backhaul (not ethernet)? I believe the Omada system uses the shared 5GHz band for backhaul - so would this suggest more capacity is better? In this case, what combination of APs would you suggest?

Many thanks in advance!

The main difference between the three seems to be the 5GHz max data rate (1201, 2402 and 4804 Mbps respectively).
2(antennas)x2(streams)@80(MHz bonded channels, typical)=1201, 2x2@160 (or 4x4@80)=2402, 4x4@160=4804. Didn't peruse the 2.4GHz specs, and you certainly won't have any such clients individually capable of a 4x4 connection anyway, but if you opt for one or more APs which are so capable in that band, the performance will most usually be better with a 4x4 AP. It'll only be using whatever the client maxes out at, but the AP has two extra antennas / streams from which to pick the best two to use for that client (it can and sometime does make a difference), but that in and of itself broaches extravagance.

Whether or not you /can/ use 160MHz bonded 5GHz channels in your locale will be the primary consideration in your selection. In every case but one, which I believe is impertinent given the hardware choices, using "160" will require DFS channel employment. If you can even obtain "160", and have clients which also can (this includes the proposed "wireless connection" to the one AP), then the extra expense may be worthwhile. If not, it'd be a waste of funds for any hardware which can't do all it's capable of otherwise (someplace else).

1. since everything will only be connected by gigabit ethernet...
Again, if possible to even do 160MHz channel bonding, then conceivably the 1Gb ethernet would be a bottleneck between two such clients on separate APs. It ain't a terrible loss, though it would present /some/ loss in capability.
2. does the answer change if...
Using a wireless feed to an AP will result in a minimum of 2x loss (half available speed) to any 5GHz client associated to said AP. In this case it would (could) be advisable to use (again, if even available to do so) 4x4 units on both ends of that connection. Though if at all possible an ethernet-fed AP is /always/ preferred.

Sounds like no matter which APs you opt for, you'd have a capable and fun to use system.

I'm not quite sure which APs to get.

For home installation I would prefer smaller size 160x160x33mm ceiling mount APs AX1800/AX3000 class or wall plate APs. They are 2x2, some up to 160MHz, most likely will be used at 80MHz. EAP610/620 for example or EAP615-Wall and the number of APs will be determined after real environment testing. Roaming will work better with more APs on lower power. I know a place with EAP615-Wall units only, very clean and invisible installation, Wi-Fi is excellent. Wall plate APs also have Ethernet ports for wired devices. A system like this can do about 500Mbps on Wi-Fi to common 2-stream AC client and about 800Mbps to AX client.

Are you planning all this for the rented apartment, by the way? You have much bigger challenges there...

Thanks guys.

Yes, this is for my rented apartment. I've realised I can run flat cat 6 cables up the wall and along the ceiling for PoE APs. It's really the only way I can get wired APs - and I'm just not confident that wireless backhaul will work given my thick thick 14inch walls.

Plan is therefore to have one AP in the living room, and 2x APs in each of the bedrooms. These will be (at most) 20-30 feet from each other (albeit with lots of thick walls between).

So, @Tech9, I share your concerns about roaming / handoff if the APs are too powerful.

I was therefore thinking of the "middle ground" EAP 650?

Separately, for the PoE switch, I'm looking at the TP Link TL-SG2008P Omada Managed switch - but see the TL-SG108PE ("smart managed") and LS108GP (unmanaged) switches - both of which are about $40 cheaper. Is it worth the $40 for the Omada Management? Would I really use this?

Finally, FYI, the ER605 arrived this morning. It's set up with my current single 5G connection and working nicely.

I share your concerns about roaming / handoff if the APs are too powerful.

I don't have "too powerful" concerns - APs in own UI and Omada SDN allow Tx Power adjustment per AP.

I was therefore thinking of the "middle ground" EAP 650?

As per specs all 610/620/650 have the same max Tx Power set at 22dBm or under 200mW for the US models.

Separately, for the PoE switch,

The switch may not be Omada integrated and doesn't have to be managed. It will power the APs in your case.

the ER605 arrived this morning. It's set up with my current single 5G connection

If you use OC200 you have to reset and reconfigure the ER605. There is no own UI to Omada SDN transitioning.

Have you looked at the Cisco 150ax wireless APs? They run around $102 each for Wi-Fi 6. You don't need to buy a controller as it is built-in. It has a GUI setup.

It needs to be a large apartment or concrete walls.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!