What's new

Best practice to uploading latest Merlin 386.1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ok. Thanks! I used same old wifi name passwords- wonder if that has any impacts?
If there's a significant change in the WiFi (e.g. you're using a different router or the router's WiFi driver is updated) client's will sometimes need to be told to "forget" the connection and then reconnect to it. Some people suggest changing the SSID, but this is really just an obtuse way of forcing them to update the connection on the client.

If there's a significant change in the WiFi (e.g. you're using a different router or the router's WiFi driver is updated) client's will sometimes need to be told to "forget" the connection and then reconnect to it. Some people suggest changing the SSID, but this is really just an obtuse way of forcing them to update the connection on the client.
Thanks again! I will leave it as is.

Just curious to ask if we can change the region on Merlin-some say changing to Australia can enhance the wifi signal? I don't see any option on the UI.

Just curious to ask if we can change the region on Merlin-some say changing to Australia can enhance the wifi signal? I don't see any option on the UI.
Generally no. Merlin is no different than stock firmware in this respect. There are/were some Chinese sourced models that had an option to change the region, but most don't.

Generally no. Merlin is no different than stock firmware in this respect. There are/were some Chinese sourced models that had an option to change the region, but most don't.
Hi, I own one of the International/Chinese AC86U models. I used to have the setting to change WiFi region (under “professional”), but it’s gone in 386.1.

I had to do a full reset after the update to 386.1, now I can’t tell which region it’s set to (usually the default is China). Do you know if there’s a way to check and change this via SSH, please?

Thanks in advance. It’s my first post. I’ve been using the Merlin firmware for a little while and it’s been great.

Hi, I own one of the International/Chinese AC86U models. I used to have the setting to change WiFi region (under “professional”), but it’s gone in 386.1.

I had to do a full reset after the update to 386.1, now I can’t tell which region it’s set to (usually the default is China). Do you know if there’s a way to check and change this via SSH, please?

Thanks in advance. It’s my first post. I’ve been using the Merlin firmware for a little while and it’s been great.
To quote the owner of this site:
If a router does not allow regions to be changed using factory firmware, then you should consider it illegal to do so by other means.

Discussions about hacks to get around these limits are not allowed on SNBForums.
You can check your router's region via SSH with:
Code:
nvram show | grep wl._country
nvram get territory_code

To quote the owner of this site:

You can check your router's region via SSH with:
Code:
nvram show | grep wl._country
nvram get territory_code
Thanks for your help, Colin. I get the following output using those commands.

I don’t know how to interpret the country code, but the territory code comes back as CN.

CC91C923-2882-4A52-A9EB-AC7ECCDE5760.jpeg

It looks like Asus might have pulled the plug on its international model with the 386.1 codebase (sold to me as UK model with UK plug - perhaps Malaysian - but manageable till now).

Hopefully I can still use it as an AI Mesh node to a UK router.

@Spud Even though CN/02 suggests that the router was made for China the WiFi appears to be configured for Europe. The E0 country code was used by some models sold by Amazon UK.

@Spud Even though CN/02 suggests that the router was made for China the WiFi appears to be configured for Europe. The E0 country code was used by some models sold by Amazon UK.
That’s interesting... So, maybe the 386.1 update simply locked in the current region, Europe. It had gone through an NVRAM and hard reset before I posted, so that bodes pretty well. You might have saved me a few quid. Thanks!

Over the weekend I have a plan to upgrade my RT-AC86u on 384.17 to latest 386.1
I've read all suggestions/manuals here. L&LD manuals are excellent, but I'm not sure about all:

When to do a factory reset? Prior or after new FW upload?
Is it right to reboot right after new FW upload or I have to wait (how long?)
When is a long waiting time for databases to settle - after router rebooted with new FW?
So Weekend is nearly finished and so am I with the update.
I reserved a few hours at Friday evening to do it right and added some waiting time after factory reset, jffs format and reboots.
And that proves to be a worthwhile. So the best is to be patient in no hurry.
All features I use/need work excellent.
The most frustrating WiFi problem on 384.17 vanished: daily speed drop after 8 hours of use to 1MB/s on 2.4 and 5 GHz, connection drops..
The speed now is constantly at maximum. Also the connections improve. Have a few clients that connect at maximum possible speed (outdoor camera, machine over reinforced concrete ceiling). Before they connected 20/150 10/200, now 150/150 and 270/270. This is huge improvement.

And also for those that use optware:
There is no need to reinstall it.
Backup jffs before upgrade and after upgrade restore /jffs/scripts folder, plug in USB device with optware and it will work again without any issue.
That successful experiment surprised me.

Regarding RT-AC86U temperature bug:
I've noticed 10C increase - from 65 to 75 Celsius with 5GHz off and 21C room temperature.
I do not need 5GHz since I have 300/30 Internet speed.

So a huge THANKS to RMerlin and Asus for this excellent FW edition.

Had issues with scheduled blocking under 386.1 using AX-86U. Can only manually block devices. Anyone knows if it is not working or there is better way tesing it?

Download and save the actual firmware that you have running now.

Save a backup config file from the router's GUI.

Save a backup of the JFFS partition from the router's GUI.

Put the above in a save place for (if) you need to get your router up and running again quickly (you would flash the firmware you saved, fully reset the router to factory defaults, import the backup config file and the backup JFFS file you created above, done (less than 10 minutes).

The best method I have found (recently!) till today for 'remembering' any settings is to download Firefox and save each page as below.

Save Settings From Router

The 'best practices', step by step setup you can do on a full factory reset router is outlined in the links below.

Update/Reset Mini Guide

Reset Mini Guide + Control Channel Setup Details

Control Channel Setup 2021

After the above is completed and you have a fully functional and stable router/network, the link below can add security, performance, and other enhancements to your router with the addition of a spare USB drive. I recommend the 128GB Patriot Elite drives or better (I use the 512GB drives myself). The best is to use a 128GB or larger PCIe m.2 SSD in a UGREEN PCIe to USB enclosure (for some, this is the same cost or less to the 512GB drive I use, with much better endurance and better matched to the writes the nand of the drive will be subject to (vs. just a USB 'key').

amtm Step-by-Step https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/#post-483421
(Note, do not 'install' amtm as suggested in the guide above if using RMerlin firmware 384.15_0 or later).

The following link may be of use too for further reading.

L&LD | SmallNetBuilder Forums
Is there a guide to go back to stock firmware? Just upload it and reset? In case I need to play with it. Thanks.

@L&LD - You say:

"A picture is worth a thousand words, but selecting a value, being able to copy and paste it, while seeing its context, is worth a thousand pictures or a million videos.

I like the suggestion above for Firefox users."

All you are saying here is you like taking screen shots as well as having a text file to "cut and paste" from when setting things back up?

I was a bit confused as at first I thought it meant Firefox had some kind of magic screenshot that also allowed "cut and paste"?

@TexasDave, no, you're missing the point of what Firefox does differently. :)

@L&LD - You say:

"A picture is worth a thousand words, but selecting a value, being able to copy and paste it, while seeing its context, is worth a thousand pictures or a million videos.

I like the suggestion above for Firefox users."

All you are saying here is you like taking screen shots as well as having a text file to "cut and paste" from when setting things back up?

I was a bit confused as at first I thought it meant Firefox had some kind of magic screenshot that also allowed "cut and paste"?

The reference to Firefox is confusing. All the browsers I tested work. He is referring to saving the page - Ctrl-S-which gives you a full page screen shot and also saves all the data behind the asterisks, -- (I didn't know about the asterisks before). Again, you can use Brave or probably most browsers, not just Firefox. I tested on Brave, Chrome and MS Edge. No need to load Firefox on your system to do this if you do not use that browser. To view the hidden data behind the asterisks in the browsers above I mentioned, right click on item and select Inspect.

Hey i'm about to start using the AX-86U. Just returned a AX-88U had issues with nest cams on it constantly disconnecting and any time I rebooted the router none of my devices would sucessfully connect to the internet. The router itself had internet and if i ran i speed test on the router it would show the proper upload and download speeds but again no devices would connect to the internet including a hard wired PC. If i only plan on using this router for basic home networking, gaming with port forwarding, nest cam streaming media etc do you still recommend installing the merlin firmware or should i wait to use that if i'm experiencing any issues? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hey i'm about to start using the AX-86U. Just returned a AX-88U had issues with nest cams on it constantly disconnecting and any time I rebooted the router none of my devices would sucessfully connect to the internet. The router itself had internet and if i ran i speed test on the router it would show the proper upload and download speeds but again no devices would connect to the internet including a hard wired PC. If i only plan on using this router for basic home networking, gaming with port forwarding, nest cam streaming media etc do you still recommend installing the merlin firmware or should i wait to use that if i'm experiencing any issues? Thanks in advance.
I would stick with the current stock firmware for a week or so until you've verified everything is working properly. Stock firmware is actually quite a bit newer than the current Merlin release. If you find some bugs you might consider installing Merlin at that point.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!