What's new

Best Simultaneous Dual-Band Router + Wireless Bridge Setup?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

robstandard

New Around Here
I've got a two zone setup that I'm seeking a good configuration setup for, with rather high bandwidth requirements and ZERO capability of a cable run.

Zone 1 is where my cable modem and two PCs are.
Zone 2 is where my HDTV/Xbox 360/Media Center PC/etc are.

I want the maximum speed available, since I want to be able to stream 1080p/7.1 surround video files to the other room.

I am considering the D-Link DIR-825 router with a D-Link DAP-1522. I have heard this doesn't work in the 5GHz mode as a bridge. Is there a good alternative? Perhaps running two routers instead of a router+dedicated bridge combo?

I want a simultaneous dual-band so my laptops can use the 2.5GHz radio while the media center is using the 5Ghz, FYI.

Any help would be much appreciated. Sitting here with my old, recently deceased Belkin 802.11g and a unopened WIR-655 (that I'm returning) shaking my fists at the screen...time to go to bed and hope someone smarter than me can help!

-Rob

Your choices right now are basically the DIR-825, the Linksys WRT610N or new Apple Airport Extreme for dual-band, dual-radio (simultaneous) routers. Cisco just added some more dual-band choices, but we haven't been able to review them yet.

An alternative is to use a single band router and a pair of bridges. This might work out better since using a pair of matched bridges might allow any built-in QoS to actually work.

The DAP-1522 is ok. But like all other 5 GHz draft 11n, it doesn't have the range that 2.4 GHz does. For any wireless solution getting flawless 1080p / 7.1. is a crapshoot. But the less distance and obstacles you have, the better your chances.

If you have cable coax in each room, a pair of MoCA bridges is the way to go. You could also consider powerline. Give HD Streaming Smackdown: Draft 11n vs. Powerline a read.

I think I'm going to try a DIR-825 and DAP-1522 still, and possibly add in another DAP-1522 if I feel like I need additional speed. The DIR-825 is $130 on Amazon, and the DIR-655 is $100 most places, so no reason to go with a single band router even if I do end up with two bridges. I looked at the 5GHz benchmarks and I'm most likely similar to location B, which is probably plenty of speed for my needs. I do live within throwing distance to an NFL arena (Qwest Field in Seattle), so there may be all kinds of interference, but I'm going to try it out. Making the trip to Fry's to grab the 825 tonight to get my wireless back up and running, looks like the 1522 is back ordered everywhere...any rumors of a replacement coming?

Tim have you tested the Linksys wet610n as a bridge? Coupled with a nice wired switch this might suffice as well. Or would all the devices need static IP's?

Tim have you tested the Linksys wet610n as a bridge? Coupled with a nice wired switch this might suffice as well. Or would all the devices need static IP's?
I have asked for both of the new Linksys routers and a pair of WET610N's for review. Not received yet.

Powerline

I have a very similar situation to yours: computing at one end of the house, AV at the other, and a desire for wireless everywhere. My computing/wireless setup is working, but showing it's age, an old D-Link router/AP combined with a GigE switch. A few months ago I upgraded by AV setup to where I now have a networked HDTV, PS3, SlingBox and SqueezeBox at the 'wrong' end of the house (from a networking perspective). Oh, and an occasional use of a laptop for internet streams to the HDTV. I went with the latest Cisco/Linksys HomePlug AV powerline equipment. It was a gamble, but has turned out well for me. The connections have been rock solid and plenty fast enough to stream high quality HD to the AV nodes.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!