What's new

Best Wired/Wirelss Setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mho714

New Around Here
Best Wired/Wireless Setup

I would like to improve my wireless connection by placing the router on the 2nd floor of a 2 story house. I currently have:
Equipment
  • Cable Modem – Motorola SB6121
  • Wireless Router – Linksys WRTU54G Tmobile VOIP
  • Wireless Router – Asus N56U
  • Switch – Netgear GS108 Gigabit 8-port
  • 1st Floor Devices – Tivo, PS3, Apple TV, Pioneer AVR, Smart TV, Tmobile VOIP
  • 2nd Floor Devices – Tivo, Xbox, Blu Ray, Denon AVR, Roku
  • Notes: I use Over The Air (OTA) TV, No Cable or Satellite TV, No coax/pre wires in any rooms.
I would like to know what is the best setup for my new network. Do I need to buy any additional equipment, or can I use what I have? I can install ethernet between the 2 floors.

Thank you in advanced.

Last edited:
Convert the ASUS to an access point. Put it on one of the floors. Connect to the Linksys via Ethernet.

Consider upgrading the Linksys to an N600 class router. If you need the VoIP function, add another router-converted-to-AP on the same floor as the Linksys.

Basically, take this approach.

I do need the VoIP function and I'll probably go that route with upgrading the Linksys. I have TWC internet about 10Mbs/1Mbs.

How much of a bottleneck do you think is the old Linksys?

TIA

How much of a bottleneck do you think is the old Linksys?

It should handle 10/1 just fine. It's the wireless range and throughput that will be the bottleneck - it won't be able to pass 10 Mbit as the range increases.

The second AP will help. Its range and throughput is a lot higher.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!