What's new

Router Setup question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rsunny2012

Regular Contributor
Hello everyone,

I stay in 3 floor town home. I have 4 bedrooms and 1 living area. All these 5 rooms are pre wired with cat 5e cables. all the cables are connected to a switch which is located on 3rd floor master bedroom closet.
All these days i used to have xfinity internet where i have coxial cable connected to a modem ( in my living room) and to a router ( GT-AC5300). From router i have connected ethernet cable to switch and from switch it goes to all of my devices and all my other rooms
I have a Mesh system ( main router GT-Ac5300) in my living room and 2nd GT-AC5300 in one my bedroom. 2nd router is connected via ethernet backhaul.

Now i am planning to change my internet from xfinity to a local internet service provider. Local ISP installed an antenna on my roof and connected the anteena via ethernet cable to a POE switch in my master bedroom closet.

My closet is bit small and i cannot place a router there. ( I tried placing router in my closet but wifi signal is very poor).

1. is there a way that i can connect my POE switch to switch ( in my main closet) and then to router which is in my living room where i get good wifi signal ?
2. if above option doesnt work, then what is the best way to get my setup working with this new isp ?
do i need to buy new router ( any decent asus router and keep this in bridge mode ?
or should i purchase any good router and install it on my closet and then connect the router to the switch in my master bedroom closet ?

Please suggest

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!