What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.10 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ive got this message and nothing i do gets rid of it , not sure what to do
"Change the router login password, time zone, and NTP server settings."
how to change ntp settings , really no clue, changed all the rest , no diff

Admin>system>ntpserver

pool.ntp.org

or alternatively, the IP address of a time server you may prefer.......

Last edited:
I've slightly lost track of what's been added in recent versions and what's departed, so if I may I'd like to ask if it's possible (beta 10, RT-AC87U) to have a VPN from the outside World (specifically an iPhone, iPad or Laptop on public WiFi) which tunnels into the router but only has access to the Internet, not the internal network (as a security measure in case someone finds a hole in the router's VPN firmware). It would need a VPN client on iOS that routes all network access through the VPN (to avoid snooping or man-in-the-middle problems).

I've slightly lost track of what's been added in recent versions and what's departed, so if I may I'd like to ask if it's possible (beta 10, RT-AC87U) to have a VPN from the outside World (specifically an iPhone, iPad or Laptop on public WiFi) which tunnels into the router but only has access to the Internet, not the internal network (as a security measure in case someone finds a hole in the router's VPN firmware). It would need a VPN client on iOS that routes all network access through the VPN (to avoid snooping or man-in-the-middle problems).

upload_2019-3-12_12-11-15.png

Admin>system>ntpserver

pool.ntp.org

or alternatively, the IP address of a time server you may prefer.......
gave it a try message still there , used ip for nist then back to pool.org , same results , time changes on router when i check sys logs , but message still there , never had this before

gave it a try message still there , used ip for nist then back to pool.org , same results , time changes on router when i check sys logs , but message still there , never had this before

Check your computer's clock. The webui is complaining because it doesn't match the router's own clock.

Check your computer's clock. The webui is complaining because it doesn't match the router's own clock.
not thatboth clocks match message still there , guess i'll live with it .

not thatboth clocks match message still there , guess i'll live with it .

Have you tried a little bit of network 'sanitizing'? Shut down your modem, router, switches, wireless and wired computer(s) and other wired/connected devices for at least 10 minutes (30 minutes to an hour preferred) also physically unplugging the power and Ethernet cables and then bring the network up in the following order:
  • Plug in the modem - wait 5 minutes for it to stabilize.
  • Plug in the Ethernet cable between the modem and your Router's WAN port.
  • Turn on your Router - wait for 5 to 10 minutes for it to stabilize.
  • Connect the LAN ports on your router to the ports on your switch(es), if any.
  • Turn on/plug in your switches.
  • Turn on your wired non-computer devices, one by one.
  • Turn on your wired computer devices, one by one.
  • Turn on your wireless devices (you could have just disabled the WiFi, but you did reboot them though when the network was down, correct).
No guarantees that this will resolve your particular issue, but I've seen it fix stranger things. ;)

RT-AC86U working fine with 384.10 beta 1 (amtm, Diversion, Skynet). Webui over HTTPS working well. Multiple business VPNs no issue.

Clutching at straws here......

Specify same ntp server in both your router, & computer?

Got your time zone, & any daylight saving time details for your part of the world, set up ok?

Clutching at straws here......

Specify same ntp server in both your router, & computer?

Got your time zone, & any daylight saving time details for your part of the world, set up ok?
i
l v e done that , will give L and LD METHOD a try later on , something has got to ork

RT-AC86U

Although I unchecked dns query and only checked ping on Network monitoring, router is still sending dns query to dns.msftncsi.com.

Code:
@RT-AC86U-69B8:/tmp/home/root# nvram get dns_probe
@RT-AC86U-69B8:/tmp/home/root# nvram get wandog_enable
@RT-AC86U-69B8:/tmp/home/root# nvram get dns_probe_host
dns.msftncsi.com
@RT-AC86U-69B8:/tmp/home/root# nvram get dns_probe_content
131.107.255.255 112.4.20.71 fd3e:4f5a:5b81::1

Mar 13 21:49:02 dnsmasq[19292]: query[A] dns.msftncsi.com from 127.0.0.1
Mar 13 21:49:02 dnsmasq[19292]: forwarded dns.msftncsi.com to 127.0.0.1
Mar 13 21:49:02 dnsmasq[19292]: reply dns.msftncsi.com is 131.107.255.255
Mar 13 21:49:17 dnsmasq[19292]: query[A] dns.msftncsi.com from 127.0.0.1
Mar 13 21:49:17 dnsmasq[19292]: forwarded dns.msftncsi.com to 127.0.0.1
Mar 13 21:49:17 dnsmasq[19292]: reply dns.msftncsi.com is 131.107.255.255

still unable to login via https on my 1900, it grinds to a halt rarely making it to the first page. http is good.

RT-AC86U

Although I unchecked dns query and only checked ping on Network monitoring, router is still sending dns query to dns.msftncsi.com.

Code:
@RT-AC86U-69B8:/tmp/home/root# nvram get dns_probe
@RT-AC86U-69B8:/tmp/home/root# nvram get wandog_enable
@RT-AC86U-69B8:/tmp/home/root# nvram get dns_probe_host
dns.msftncsi.com
@RT-AC86U-69B8:/tmp/home/root# nvram get dns_probe_content
131.107.255.255 112.4.20.71 fd3e:4f5a:5b81::1

Mar 13 21:49:02 dnsmasq[19292]: query[A] dns.msftncsi.com from 127.0.0.1
Mar 13 21:49:02 dnsmasq[19292]: forwarded dns.msftncsi.com to 127.0.0.1
Mar 13 21:49:02 dnsmasq[19292]: reply dns.msftncsi.com is 131.107.255.255
Mar 13 21:49:17 dnsmasq[19292]: query[A] dns.msftncsi.com from 127.0.0.1
Mar 13 21:49:17 dnsmasq[19292]: forwarded dns.msftncsi.com to 127.0.0.1
Mar 13 21:49:17 dnsmasq[19292]: reply dns.msftncsi.com is 131.107.255.255
Yes, and it should not. But if not using dual WAN, clearing dns_probe_content stops this.
Code:
dns_probe=0
dns_probe_content=
dns_probe_host=dns.msftncsi.com
wandog_delay=0
wandog_enable=1
wandog_fb_count=4
wandog_interval=5
wandog_maxfail=12

RT-AC86U and I am no longer getting error messages when creating folders on USB drives.

One issue I am seeing though is in regards to the SMB and FTP user limit. It seems like the limit of concurrent users field is now shared between Samba and FTP. I seem to recall I had set a small FTP limit and a larger Samba user limit simultaneously on the previous firmware but now a change in one field changes the other. I also can't enter 10 for a value in either field. I apologize if this is the expected behavior but I do not recall it behaving this way.

The way it's currently implemented is consistent with every other services in Asuswrt-Merlin:

1) rc generates a config file based on nvram content
2) Look for a user-provided override, if found then use it instead of the automatically generated config
3) Look for a user-provided .add, append if found
4) Look for a user-provided postconf, execute it if found

This is identical to, for example, dnsmasq or minidlna. Changing this would only cause confusion and unnecessary code complexity.

As for ddns-start, this is an event script tied to the DDNS service, and is handled separately from the config customization code, which is tied to the specific daemon (inadyn).

It seems like the limit of concurrent users field is now shared between Samba and FTP.

It always was, that wasn't changed. They share the same nvram variable.

The limit is now 9 instead of 10 because Asus decided to only allow one single character to the nvram variable, and I cannot override that on the HND platform.

The way it's currently implemented is consistent with every other services in Asuswrt-Merlin:

1) rc generates a config file based on nvram content
32) Look for a user-provided .add, append if found
23) Look for a user-provided override, if found then use it instead of the automatically generated config
4) Look for a user-provided postconf, execute it if found

This is identical to, for example, dnsmasq or minidlna. Changing this would only cause confusion and unnecessary code complexity.

As for ddns-start, this is an event script tied to the DDNS service, and is handled separately from the config customization code, which is tied to the specific daemon (inadyn).

I guess my main concern is that inadyn is not run for all DDNS provider options, with no indication of which use it. It seems unintuitive to have a user provided config fail to override the generated config (or lack thereof) due to the generation settings.

As for consistency, there are already several configs which only provide .add support. My reasoning behind this was that all the generated config data is provided by user through the WebUI, while services like dnsmasq and minidlna have default values which can't be set in the WebUI.

For code complexity, wouldn't it be some minor changes around the inadyn part such as:
Code:
    if (asus_ddns == 2) { //Peanuthull DDNS
        if( (fp = fopen("/etc/phddns.conf", "w")) != NULL ) {
            fprintf(fp, "[settings]\n");
            fprintf(fp, "szHost = phddns60.oray.net\n");
            fprintf(fp, "szUserID = %s\n", user);
            fprintf(fp, "szUserPWD = %s\n", passwd);
            fprintf(fp, "nicName = %s\n", wan_ifname);
            fprintf(fp, "szLog = /var/log/phddns.log\n");
            fclose(fp);

eval("phddns", "-c", "/etc/phddns.conf", "-d");
        }
    }
    if( (fp = fopen(INADYNCONF, "w"))) {    // Inadyn
        chmod(INADYNCONF, 0600);
        if (*service && asus_ddns != 2) {
            if (asus_ddns == 10) {
                fprintf(fp, "custom namecheap {\n");
                fprintf(fp, "ddns-server = dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com\n");
                // We store the domain.tld in the username nvram
                fprintf(fp, "ddns-path = \"/update?domain=%%u&password=%%p&host=%%h\"\n");
            } else {
                fprintf(fp, "provider %s {\n", service);
            }

fprintf(fp, "hostname = %s\n", host);
            str_escape_quotes(tmp, user, sizeof(tmp));
            fprintf(fp, "username = \"%s\"\n", tmp);
            str_escape_quotes(tmp, passwd, sizeof(tmp));
            fprintf(fp, "password = \"%s\"\n", tmp);

if (nvram_get_int("ddns_ipcheck") == 0)    // Internal (local)
#ifdef HND_ROUTER
                fprintf(fp, "checkip-command = \"/bin/nvram get %sipaddr\"\n", prefix);
#else
                fprintf(fp, "checkip-command = \"/usr/sbin/nvram get %sipaddr\"\n", prefix);
#endif
            if (wild)
                fprintf(fp, "wildcard = true\n");

fprintf(fp, "}\n");
        }
        append_custom_config("inadyn.conf", fp);
        run_postconf("inadyn",INADYNCONF);

fclose(fp);

if((time_fp=fopen("/tmp/ddns.cache","w"))) {
            fprintf(time_fp,"%ld,%s",time(&now),wan_ip);
            fclose(time_fp);
        }

if (nvram_get_int("ddns_debug") == 1)
            loglevel = "debug";
        else
            loglevel = "notice";

char *argv[] = { "/usr/sbin/inadyn", "-once",
                 "-e", "/sbin/ddns_updated",
                "--exec-nochg", "/sbin/ddns_updated",
                 "-l", loglevel,
                 NULL };

_eval(argv, NULL, 0, &pid);
    }

if (*service) {
        run_custom_script("ddns-start", wan_ip);
    } else {
        // Block until it completes and updates the DDNS update results in nvram
        run_custom_script_blocking("ddns-start", wan_ip, NULL);
    }
    return 0;
}

Or is there something I'm overlooking?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!