What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.11 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Most important is a dig test to see if you have the ad flag
https://docs.menandmice.com/display/MM/How+to+test+DNSSEC+validation
Many users may not have an OS like Ubuntu installed that will allow them to use dig. It's easy to install a Ubuntu on Windows using the Windows Store though. Even easier is to install the drill package from entware: opkg install drill
Usage Example Post #202

The name drill is a pun on dig. With drill you should be able get even more information than with dig.

yes the only thing connect to dns server automatically vs manually selecting dns1 and dns2 does is determine the dns you connect to before DoT becomes active.

What Quad9 calls "insecure" simply means it doesn't provide any of the malware filtering capabilities of the regular 9.9.9.9 resolver. It's still using DoT and providing DNSSEC support.
Thanks for clearing it!
They should of said just "no filtering"...

On an side note, Quad9 for me (Serbia, Europe) is one of the fastest cached 8ms, but the very slowest uncached 217ms; Cloudflare is slower cached 18ms but far more speedier uncached 75ms, and google jumps around to much during the day.

Can anyone with IPv6 support confirm that the IPv6 Quad9 servers also work properly with DoT?

2620:fe::fe
2620:fe::9
That's what I'm currently using, and they work without a hitch!~
I think I'd like to add Google via the GUI. Has anyone tried that as yet?
RT AC-5300

Last edited:
Upgrade AC3100 from V384.10_2 Final to V384.11_beta1b, via dirty flash, and everything appears to be working.

A little weirdness today, but I am unable to isolate the cause.
Tried to log into the GUI this morning while on the Beta since it dropped. It has run flawlessly, until the login attempt. I got the sign in screen, but never was able to get the GUI to come up. Tried multiple browsers to no avail. Finally, did a hard reset of the router. That restored normal ops...
RT AC-5300

A little weirdness today, but I am unable to isolate the cause.
Tried to log into the GUI this morning while on the Beta since it dropped. It has run flawlessly, until the login attempt. I got the sign in screen, but never was able to get the GUI to come up. Tried multiple browsers to no avail. Finally, did a hard reset of the router. That restored normal ops...
RT AC-5300

Have had my routers do that occasionally. Normally I can ssh into it and type service restart_httpd , it will come right up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or you can install scmerlin to save remembering service names :)

That too...I even have it installed. Sad part I got the command memorized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What Quad9 calls "insecure" simply means it doesn't provide any of the malware filtering capabilities of the regular 9.9.9.9 resolver. It's still using DoT and providing DNSSEC support.
Rmerlin please tell me how to compile asuswrt-merlin.ng, which packages are required how to ln the toolchains into opt, what to do if i get errors about missing packages

Just curious about the dhcp options for the ntp server. Should the interface be specified to match the other options, and should it be advertised on ipv6 too?

Code:
dhcp-option=option:ntp-server,192.168.1.1
to
Code:
dhcp-option=lan,option:ntp-server,192.168.1.1
dhcp-option=lan,option6:ntp-server,[::]

Side question, what does that "lan" mean, is it a tag? It doesn't seem to match the documentation.
--dhcp-option=[tag:<tag>,[tag:<tag>,]][encap:<opt>,][vi-encap:<enterprise>,][vendor:[<vendor-class>],][<opt>|option:<opt-name>|option6:<opt>|option6:<opt-name>],[<value>[,<value>]]
It doesn't allow "set:" so it shouldn't be this
This system evolved from an earlier, more limited one and for backward compatibility "net:" may be used instead of "tag:" and "set:" may be omitted. (Except in --dhcp-host, where "net:" may be used instead of "set:".)

Just did a dirty and a clean update to beta-1 on an RT-AC86U - since then my Android phone shows up as 2 devices connecting under the same name - sometimes on 2.4, sometimes 5 Ghz - never happened or saw that before. Router has been rebooted, phone has been rebooted, problem does not show under 10_2. And yes, did manual config after factory reset. Went back to 10_2 for now

Last edited:
Just did a dirty and a clean update to beta-1 on an RT-AC86U - since then my Android phone shows up as 2 devices connecting under the same name - sometime on 2.4, sometimes 5 Ghz - never happened or saw that before. Router has been rebooted, phone has been rebooted, problem does not show under 10_2. And yes, did manual config after factory reset. Went back to 10_2 for now
I had this happen with one of my devices, when I flashed alpha 4. I couldn’t find additional connections. When I flashed beta 1, it disappeared. More than likely a bug in the client list, which Asus would have to fix.

It wasn’t worth it to me to revert, because the firmware and DoT is running so well.

Just did a dirty and a clean update to beta-1 on an RT-AC86U - since then my Android phone shows up as 2 devices connecting under the same name - sometimes on 2.4, sometimes 5 Ghz - never happened or saw that before. Router has been rebooted, phone has been rebooted, problem does not show under 10_2. And yes, did manual config after factory reset. Went back to 10_2 for now
Leave it and wait until the dhcp lease time is up. It will straighten itself out then.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!