What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.14 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes no difference at all, beta 3 unstable and previous version 384.13 is stable

Is there anything I can capture when these disconnects occur to find out why?
cound use wireshark to see whats going on

Installed "RT-AX88U_384.14_beta3-new-g6ed03020e2" 48hrs ago, all running great with 2x RT-86Us (384.14 beta3) in AiMesh setup. Everyone in house noticing that beta3 is quicker internet. Need a subtle filter in my network through, to limit endless Christmas carols being broadcast via my partners Spotify feed. :)

After a day run I noticed some locking problems with the samba server, the messages on the system log are:

Dec 13 17:13:58 smbd[13208]: [2019/12/13 17:13:58.263864, 0] smbd/oplock.c:330(oplock_timeout_handler)
Dec 13 17:13:58 smbd[13208]: Oplock break failed for file Backup/Memory_latest.kdbx -- replying anyway
Dec 13 17:14:52 smbd[13208]: [2019/12/13 17:14:52.227894, 0] smbd/oplock.c:330(oplock_timeout_handler)
Dec 13 17:14:52 smbd[13208]: Oplock break failed for file Backup/Memory_latest.kdbx -- replying anyway
Dec 13 17:15:29 smbd[13208]: [2019/12/13 17:15:29.343819, 0] smbd/oplock.c:330(oplock_timeout_handler)
Dec 13 17:15:29 smbd[13208]: Oplock break failed for file Backup/20191002_180313.mp4 -- replying anyway

and the copy of the affected files from the smb mount FS to the local one hangs for 10 seconds and then speeds up gradually. This has never happened before, with 384.13

Last edited:
Not in my opinion. I get the same results.

DSLReports speed tests are very geographically dependent.

For anyone living in major Canadian cities, for example, their speed tests are horribly unreliable as they're not actually a test of YOUR internet connection ... it ends up becoming a test of your ISPs transit links + how much congestion is occurring at that particular day/time.

That's why I recommend FAST.COM instead. Nowadays, Netflix has put their caching appliance on almost every ISP's internal network across North America. So by using FAST.COM you can actually test your OWN internet connection and stuff like bufferbloat etc. - without introducing foreign variables, like your ISP's over-burdened peering connections, excessive transit congestion because it's 8:30pm on a weekday, etc.

Edit: Another decent one is TESTMY.NET. They're also more reliable than DSLReports speed tests.

DSLReports speed tests are very geographically dependent.

For anyone living in major Canadian cities, for example, their speed tests are horribly unreliable as they're not actually a test of YOUR internet connection ... it ends up becoming a test of your ISPs transit links + how much congestion is occurring at that particular day/time.

That's why I recommend FAST.COM instead. Nowadays, Netflix has put their caching appliance on almost every ISP's internal network across North America. So by using FAST.COM you can actually test your OWN internet connection and stuff like bufferbloat etc. - without introducing foreign variables, like your ISP's over-burdened peering connections, excessive transit congestion because it's 8:30pm on a weekday, etc.

Edit: Another decent one is TESTMY.NET. They're also more reliable than DSLReports speed tests.

I agree, in my opinion the "best in town" is: https://fast.com/
fast.jpg

I find it very accurate also for little cities (like mine) and little local ISP (like mine).
Mu speed didn't change passing to 384.14_beta3 but the router seems more responsive
and stable (a part from some samba hangs).

Last edited:
Nope, FAST.COM no good for all of Europe - limited.
A little better than DSLReports, but finds me a server in Amsterdam, Holland - 2.000km!

P.S. Even gave me on second test 100Mbps more than my max connection - ridiculous! :D

A little better than DSLReports, but finds me a server in Amsterdam, Holland - 2.000km!

P.S. Even gave me on second test 100Mbps more than my max connection - ridiculous! :D
I live in central Canada and I get strange results as well.

Decided to take a dive with the RT-AX88U. Been having issues with random drops from mostly 2.4Ghz devices. Loaded up Merlin's latest beta 3 and will report back if there is any success.

Not sure if this is a bug or not. Came from the factory firmware over to Merlin and right off the bat it changed my wireless networks to open networks. Not a huge deal as setting them back to WPA2 and existing settings were there. Guest network was not affected.

I have seen a lot of iffyness with the "Smart Connect" feature. Does it work and is it usable? Would it just end up causing even more drops?

Thanks for the great work Merlin!

Decided to take a dive with the RT-AX88U. Been having issues with random drops from mostly 2.4Ghz devices. Loaded up Merlin's latest beta 3 and will report back if there is any success.

Not sure if this is a bug or not. Came from the factory firmware over to Merlin and right off the bat it changed my wireless networks to open networks. Not a huge deal as setting them back to WPA2 and existing settings were there. Guest network was not affected.

I have seen a lot of iffyness with the "Smart Connect" feature. Does it work and is it usable? Would it just end up causing even more drops?

Thanks for the great work Merlin!
Don't use smart connect if you want stability, also disable beamforming and airtime fairness on 2.4 I'm referring to. Some say disable mumimo as well. Also pick a channel 1,6,11 thats it.

@Chris Etheridge I would suggest that you do a full M&M Config after having flashed RMerlin firmware. If not the slightly more in depth Nuclear Reset, both of which you can find in the link in my signature below.

Of course, continue enjoying it as long as there are no bugs or glitches for you. :)

Ever try speedof.me ? I find it reproducible and it does a good job from my rather rural location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!