What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.16 beta (and 384.13_5) are available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I'm owner of both RT-AC3200 & RT-AC87U feeling left in the dark.
Any news on the release from Asus?
I see that for the RT-3200 new firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.51940 (2020-03-10)
and on RT-AC87U source code version 3.0.0.4.382.51939 and 3.0.0.4.382.51641 (2020-03-12)

If it gets dropped any suggestion on replacement?
Still wanna be on Asuswrt-Merlin as its been serving me good features for my networking =O)

Cheers,
beep

I swapped the values:
I tried limiting download with 85-80-70-50, I keep getting 65-75 megabit/s with 10-60ms bufferbloat.
I tried limiting upload with 40-35-10 and I keep getting 33-48 megabit/s in download with an average 300-500ms bufferbloat.
I just tried 50/10 and dslreport result was 79.5/48.2
View attachment 22123
Out of ideas now, I just limited mine and all working as expected (AC86U though). Dumb question, but did you hit apply button? :)

Hello,
I'm owner of both RT-AC3200 & RT-AC87U feeling left in the dark.
Any news on the release from Asus?
I see that for the RT-3200 new firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.51940 (2020-03-10)
and on RT-AC87U source code version 3.0.0.4.382.51939 and 3.0.0.4.382.51641 (2020-03-12)

If it gets dropped any suggestion on replacement?
Still wanna be on Asuswrt-Merlin as its been serving me good features for my networking =O)

Cheers,
beep

RT-AX58U seems like a good option which I went with. It has faster CPU with extra core, it has double the RAM (512MB instead of 256MB) and double the ROM (256MB instead of 128MB). It also has far more granular QAM which has 4x the density of the grid (1024QAM vs 256QAM) and thus probably coverage too and supports OFDMA. I've also seen its insides and how vents are done on the casing which seems to be done far better than on RT-AC87U. All this at price of 150€ which is pretty reasonable opposed to most others that go from 250€ to over 350€ in price for god knows what reasons. It can't be just quad core CPU...

@axaro1 can you run a test on fast.com and click on show more info afterward. I ran mine and I'm getting 5ms unloaded and 6ms loaded. Is it really that important for upload to be limited considering how much you actually max out your upload?

@beep I would suggest the AX88U

Out of ideas now, I just limited mine and all working as expected (AC86U though). Dumb question, but did you hit apply button? :)
Yes I did and it does retain the settings after applying.

@axaro1 can you run a test on fast.com and click on show more info afterward. I ran mine and I'm getting 5ms unloaded and 6ms loaded. Is it really that important for upload to be limited considering how much you actually max out your upload?

I'm getting 94Mbps with 1ms unloaded and 27 ms loaded, if I set it to measure loaded during upload I get 121 ms.
I often have multiple devices uploading at the same time and I'm often trying to prioritize time sensitive applications.
I'd like to get the QoS to work so I can rule out if this high upload bufferbloat is an ISP issue.
The variation in download/upload even with the QoS OFF makes me think that the ISP is dynamically changing the available bandwidth and messing with the bufferbloat.
I can run 3 speedtest in the span of 1 minute and get 3 different download/upload results with a 10ms difference e.g: 94/33, 87/35, 94/48

Yes, I tried with QoS OFF and the results aren't much different from the screenshots (except from random upload spikes up to 700/1500ms, but the average upload bufferbloat is still at 130-170ms)
I tried to limit the download/upload bandwith with different values but it's not making any difference, I get the same download upload whether I set it to 85/40 or 10/5.
I tried Traditional QoS but it cuts my download by 2/3.

Maybe worth a try.

Let's say your routers ip is 192.168.0.1, if not adapt your segments range below...

Go to QoS, choose Bandwidth limiter and fq_codel
Under Target, fill in the following: 192.168.0.* and your upload/download speeds, hit the plus sign at the end, and then apply.

Dunno if it matters, but for fun, I ran three speed tests, one with no QoS, one with Adaptive QoS (fq_codel / DOCSIS) and one with bandwidth limited to 75/5. Everything works as expected. This is an 86u, though. Blue Iris server takes a big bite out of bandwidth, pushing > 200 gigs a day through VPNs, and two TVs are streaming either 1080 or 4k, so this PC isn't getting a fair shake, but the numbers make sense.

Attachments

• QoS_Off.jpg
    QoS_Off.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 168
  • AdaptiveQOS.jpg
    AdaptiveQOS.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 202
  • QoS BW Limited to 75.jpg
    QoS BW Limited to 75.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 192
  • QoSBWLimitedResults.jpg
    QoSBWLimitedResults.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 169
  • SpdTst.jpg
    SpdTst.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 160
Since most people working from home I realised that bufferbloat is much worse than before, broadband throughput is vary depend of the time the day, once is perfect with QoS once is completely all over the place. I think best time to test it properly will be late night hours, mine is perfect from 22:30 onwards ;)

Updated to beta2 works good...
@axaro1, I make a guess that bufferbloat is not on your AX58 but on your ISP level...
In the last 24hrs, AX Beta1 and now Beta2, never seen the bufferbloat as varied on each run. Usually all A or A+s...now A+ to C's...in like two years of looking at this data. As everyone in my wider area (Ontario) in self-isolation, work from home only unless essential service, I'm sure the internet very much busier then normal.

Upgrade RT-AX88U & RT-AC3100 from V384.16_beta1 to V384.16_beta2 via dirty firmware upgrade. 30+ devices (includes gaming, streaming, downloads, etc.) and all appears to be working for main AX88U & backup AC3100 routers.

All is working on RT-AC88U but I get plenty of this message in logs since beta1

dnsmasq[1556]: failed to send packet: Operation not permitted

RT-AX58U seems like a good option which I went with. It has faster CPU with extra core, it has double the RAM (512MB instead of 256MB) and double the ROM (256MB instead of 128MB). It also has far more granular QAM which has 4x the density of the grid (1024QAM vs 256QAM) and thus probably coverage too and supports OFDMA. I've also seen its insides and how vents are done on the casing which seems to be done far better than on RT-AC87U. All this at price of 150€ which is pretty reasonable opposed to most others that go from 250€ to over 350€ in price for god knows what reasons. It can't be just quad core CPU...
I have an RT-AX58U and agree. Good router. Total thumbs up.

Asus RT-AX56U 384.16_beta2
Power led fix confirmed. Working as it should.
Bug.
Disable led's and re-enable them leaves Lan led's (1-4) off.
Reboot is needed to re-enable Lan led's.

@GaselK, just a guess, but maybe a full reset to factory defaults (M&M Config, please see my signature for the link and further details below) may prove that a reboot isn't needed afterward.

I am assuming you are doing a 'dirty' upgrade from the previous firmware, of course. When was the last time you did a full M&M Config? :)

@L&LD Beta 2 'dirty' upgrade from Beta1.
Beta 1 was set with factory reset and M&M settings.
Bug was also present in Beta1.
No down time luxury atm for a Beta2 complete reset from scratch.

@L&LD Beta 2 'dirty' upgrade from Beta1.
Beta 1 was set with factory reset and M&M settings.
Bug was also present in Beta1.
No down time luxury atm for a Beta2 complete reset from scratch.

Have you tried the QoS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!