What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.16 beta (and 384.13_5) are available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guest network shows the correct name for 2.4ghz but the default name on 5ghz in wireless log AC5300

Double check what you have configured. The SSID is read from nvram, so I can't see how it could end up reporting a default value. I just tested it here and it works correctly for me.

Double check what you have configured. The SSID is read from nvram, so I can't see how it could end up reporting a default value. I just tested it here and it works correctly for me.

That's odd. My guest network page and off the air are customized, no asus.

I have a 2.4 and a 5-2 no 5-1, set to the same name. Maybe that's creating a bug? Is it possible it's not getting the name from 5 GHz-2? Because it says guest 1. But I'm using #2 and a custom name.

I checked, it's using guest network name from 5gh-1 for 2 in system log.

That's odd. My guest network page and off the air are customized, no asus.

I have a 2.4 and a 5-2 no 5-1, set to the same name. Maybe that's creating a bug? Is it possible it's not getting the name from 5 GHz-2? Because it says guest 1. But I'm using #2 and a custom name.

I checked, it's using guest network name from 5gh-1 for 2 in system log.

That would be why. The current implementation only handles 2.4 and 5 GHz, it doesn't handle separate 5 GHz radios (as I didn't see any explicit support for guest clients on the second 5 GHz band when I checked Asus's code).

EDIT: I see that I did implement support for it after all, however there is a typo in the variable names.

Dirty upgrade to Beta1 from second Alpha. Smooth operation. It seems to be more solid on the VPN Client part (second Alpha demonstrated disconnections every 4-5 hours) but need more time to justify that initial conclusion.

That makes no sense. Just because you aren't doing a large download shouldn't scare you or confuse you by showing different colours.

Which is why I reused colours already used on the webui, rather than define a new colour just for this meter. Consistency is important here. I reused the colours I use on the Traffic Monitor, but I am considering possibly changing them to reuse colours used by the other bar charts on the same page. I'm reluctant to do so because, quite frankly, Asus chose pretty bad colours in general on that particular page.
I mean maybe it would be better to use the asus original color scheme, orange for download and blue for upload. Or let's find a better color scheme together.

Now this is a reasonable point (not too intuitive). I do not see these values either in the main page (where the graphs are).. Related to 'working' or not, the autoscale 'security net' should be used anyways (the same as the 'speedometers' do when you supass the 100Mb line.. then they do autoscale logatythmically to 1000Mb).

Thanks anyways for discussing this idea.
Merlin does just like Windows 10's task manager, The total throughput of the network is not always the same, nor is it related to the limit throughput of the NIC. It just adjusts the throughput dynamically.
f5543a79-67f8-4341-93d9-b3111b8f8517.png

Picture from here
So I support RMerlin's dynamic adjustments, but maybe we can do it like Windows 10, telling users that the upper limit of dynamic values may be better.

Last edited:
Merlin does just like Windows 10's task manager, The total throughput of the network is not always the same, nor is it related to the limit throughput of the NIC. It just adjusts the throughput dynamically.

Yes I know. In fact Merlin explained this behavior in the first post where he was describing how the new graphs work. My comment was in the line of stating that even if the limits were badly configured and as long as this 'autoscale' bahavior was mantained, the graphs would still work correctly because of the autoscaling (at least if they were set to too low values).

All this discussion's purpose was to avoid loading the network map page and seeing the 'internet traffic bars' indicating a high usage when for instance it is still lower than 1% of the connection bandwidth and makes the user have to 'check' whether the high usage is real or just a scale effect. (and it stays like that until there is a peak). This can be fixed by allowing a 'max bandwith' to be set (irrelevant of having QoS activated or nor) and also by having a logarithmic scale to begin with, (like the QoS bandwith monitor speedometers) that allows for a much broader reange to be shown. ... the conclussion has been that it is not easy to find an intuitive place to expose the graph limits allowing them to be changed.

In the end, this is in fact an almost cosmetic feature so not very relevant. Regarding how windows task manager does, you are rigth. It has the same problem.

New setup on RT-AX88U. Without a flaw, so far.

I have exactly the same constellation AX88U as router and AX58 as AiMesh node. And also with me the beta runs great.

Have you enabled IPv6? Do you use Cloudflare DOT? Have you enabled DNSSEC on the WAN settings page?

:)
Hi,
No IPv6
Using Cloudfare DoT
DNSSEC is enabled

Running well!

If I also might chime in on the new Internet Traffic Status graph, I agree with Merlin that it is more for overall network traffic load “visualization”. Not a scientific instrument. I like how it shows not only a visual graph, but also a number.
As a test, I just tried this - quiet network right now (early morning). Went to Network Map page and can see low traffic, KB/sec kind of stuff. Fired up TV and NVidia Shield. Saw a short spike in both upload and download. Started Disney app, as expected, short spike in download, graph changes to MB/sec. Start streaming (Mandalorian) - interesting to watch the buffering cycle. Graph shows very small upload (KB/sec) and download going up to 15-30MB/sec for 2-3 seconds then down to KB/sec for roughly 2-3 seconds.
A quick click on the Adaptive QoS tab and now I can burrow down and see who’s generating this traffic.
Very nice, quick to access tool.

Last edited:
For my RT-AC66U_B1 the traffic monitor daily and monthly totals bug has reappeared.

upload_2020-3-16_8-37-0.png

upload_2020-3-16_8-37-26.png

RE ASus -AX56u Beta

Hello
Got the asus ax 56u and just updated with the Rmerlin firmware. Much better than the stock, big thanks to Rmerlin for that.
Being a beta there is a few points I notice. The power light on the router now stays off,no big deal really.
Also in the vpn client setup when I change clients the client that the routers on stays connected and the client that I change to connects but shows no public address and then the router app freezes for awhile.

Working great on an AX88 running a mesh network.

Asuswrt-Merlin 384.16 Beta (and 384.13_5 for RT-AC87U and RT_AC3200) are now available.
  • Updated components: Tor (0.4.2.6), curl (7.68.0), nano (4.8), inadyn (2.6), getdns (1.6.0), stubby (0.3.0), amtm (3.1.4).

Many scripts use curl to download none binary files.
To reduce unneeded bandwidth it would be nice if curl can support deflate and gzip decompression.

At the moment it is not supported:
Code:
# curl --compressed -o /dev/null https://iplists.firehol.org/files/greensnow.ipset
curl: option --compressed: the installed libcurl version doesn't support this
curl: try 'curl --help' for more information

RT-AX56U Firmware Version:384.16_beta1

Power_Led if Off during normal operation.
When i disable leds Power_Led lights and everything else is off.
Factory reset from latest official.
Everything else seems fine. No problems encountered so far.
Should Web History tab move to Traffic Analyzer ?
Wireless Log tab is very good.

Last edited:
The 2nd post was reserved initially and was edited last night so unless you re-read, one wouldn't have known:
My apologies. I flashed the firmware today and figured out the hard way. :( Back to the alpha I guess until beta 2 comes out!

Many scripts use curl to download none binary files.
To reduce unneeded bandwidth it would be nice if curl can support deflate and gzip decompression.

I'll investigate. If it can reuse the existing zlib then it could be doable. However I will avoid the bloat of adding any extra library, since those downloaded files are so small, the difference would be negligible.

I also need to be careful with API changes, as this library is also linked to some closed source components.

When i disable leds Power_Led lights and everything else is off.

So it would be backward for that router (gpio being low active instead of high active? That's odd, since that part of the LED control

Should Web History tab move to Traffic Analyzer ?

No, Asus always had it in that current section, and I don't want to move it as it would confuse a lot of users.

There's lots of text at the bottom of Traffic Analyzer | Traffic Monitor.
Main_TrafficMonitor_realtime.asp.jpg

RT-AX56U Firmware Version:384.16_beta1

Replicated : If you disable leds and re-enable, lan leds (1-4) stay off despite clients connected and using them.
Reboot router re enables lan 1-4 leds.

RT-AX56U owners, what does the following command return?

Code:
 nvram get led_pwr_gpio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!