What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.16 beta (and 384.13_5) are available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ordered my new RT-AX58U so I can stay up to date with latest Merlin builds. This stuff is so good it's worth spending some on new router that has support. I just hope it'll have support for as long as amazing RT-AC87U had. Looking forward testing this build on it :)

I have the AX58U running Merlin and it’s a terrific router. Can’t go wrong, highly recommended. I’m actually selling my AX88U and getting another 58U to run in mesh. Even on stock firmware it runs really well.

I believe this is known.

Someone else running AI mesh can chime in.

From what i've read here only one of the routers should be using merlin firmware and the rest should be on stock when using an AI mesh setup.

That used to be the recommendation a few firmware versions back.

I have installed a two RT-AC86U router/AiMesh mode setup with both running RMerlin v384.15_0 with no issues now for several weeks.

I unfortunately had to decide to roll back to 384.15. Main reason is that after several days, the interval and thus the amount of interruptions on the L2TP client increased to every half hour (while the second router with 384.15 with a similar configuration did not demonstrate this behavior. Now rolled back the interruptions have stopped.

I have the AX58U running Merlin and it’s a terrific router. Can’t go wrong, highly recommended. I’m actually selling my AX88U and getting another 58U to run in mesh. Even on stock firmware it runs really well.
I have one too. I agree that the RT-AX58U is a terrific router, plus reasonably priced. Mine was running great on stock firmware, but I really wanted Asus Merlin so I could run DoT Stubby as well as getting the many additional functions (such as logging, temp reporting. additional admin functions). I have been on Beta 1 since it came out and it is very solid. Kudos to @RMerlin for nailing Beta 1. I think he also has an RT-AX58U.

I just realized that something about beta1 is preventing my computer from making a Cisco AnyConnect VPN connection to my employer network. The AnyConnect client times out with a message saying that it can't find the VPN server. I was able to login immediately by tethering my laptop to my cell phone.
I'm using AnyConnect 4.7.00136 on my RT-AX88U to my employer. Not had an issue, or on any merlin release and my prior RT-AC86U unit.

That used to be the recommendation a few firmware versions back.

I have installed a two RT-AC86U router/AiMesh mode setup with both running RMerlin v384.15_0 with no issues now for several weeks.

I'm using RT-AX88U and AiMesh to two RT-AC86U's, all on RMerlin's code. No problems, since the first code release of RMerlin when the nodes would occasionally drop out. I keep it this way, as fast repairs on known code, should a unit fail. eg both RT-AC86U's have been physically replaced during warranty (wouldn't power up bug).

I just found a similar gui, it's a chinese script in 2016, I don't know if there is a license like GPL, and I don't know if it is safe. but I like this design, just more intuitive.
1.png

It comes from this this Chinese thread, and image also come from that.
If use table like that, I don't think anyone will complain about throughput shows too high.

EDIT: I found the source code repository and it is under the MIT license.

Last edited:
for some reasons, my many IOS devices seem to drop from the 5G or 5G_2 network. Never happened previously but I am definitely noticing it now. Seems pretty random, and I have made no changes to the IOS devices or the network other than changing firmware.

I just found a similar gui, it's a chinese script in 2016, I don't know if there is a license like GPL, and I don't know if it is safe. but I like this design, just more intuitive.
View attachment 21996
It comes from this this Chinese thread, and image also come from that.
If use table like that, I don't think anyone will complain about throughput shows too high.

EDIT: I found the source code repository and it is under the MIT license.

One of the problems in showing both down and upload rates in a graph is that most people have a large difference in max speed for down and uploads. With such a small graph, it means the upload traffic will generally be unreadable, as the scale will be set for the much higher rated download rate.

It works on the Traffic Monitor because the chart is tall enough to make it readable.

I believe this is known.

Someone else running AI mesh can chime in.

From what i've read here only one of the routers should be using merlin firmware and the rest should be on stock when using an AI mesh setup.
It was RMerlin himself who advised that here, but others have given different advise. I thought it wise to, at least, point out that you may have to go back to stock to install AIMesh and update to Merlin-firmware afterwards. If you feel the need.

Last edited:
for some reasons, my many IOS devices seem to drop from the 5G or 5G_2 network. Never happened previously but I am definitely noticing it now. Seems pretty random, and I have made no changes to the IOS devices or the network other than changing firmware.

@uwish

On some firmware upgrades over the years I find it necessary to have my iOS devices "Forget This Network" in the wireless settings and then recreate the Wi-Fi connection. Not sure it will work but its an easy first step to try.

One of the problems in showing both down and upload rates in a graph is that most people have a large difference in max speed for down and uploads. With such a small graph, it means the upload traffic will generally be unreadable, as the scale will be set for the much higher rated download rate.

It works on the Traffic Monitor because the chart is tall enough to make it readable.

Perhaps a Graph with a two independent, dynamic vertical scales? Values on the left for Download and an on the right, for upload? Not sure how hard that would be to code. Just throwing out an idea.

It was RMerlin himself who advised that here, but others have given different advise. I thought it wise to, at least, point out that you may have to go back to stock to install AIMesh and update to Merlin-firmware afterwards. If you feel the need.

I thought one of the reasons for running stock on the nodes was the ease of upgrading the firmware on the node when running stock.

Does it maybe have something to do with ios13 and the pixelserv cert, if you’re using that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!