What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.16 beta (and 384.13_5) are available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was RMerlin himself who advised that here, but others have given different advise. I thought it wise to, at least, point out that you may have to go back to stock to install AIMesh and update to Merlin-firmware afterwards. If you feel the need.

Note the date of that post you point out. Things have changed. :)

AiMesh isn't 'installed' either. It is either present/supported in the firmware that is loaded or it isn't (depending on the model of Asus router we're talking about). ;)

@doczenith1, no issues upgrading RMerlin firmware on nodes (at least in my very limited use, so far, of AiMesh with 2x RT-AC86U). :)

@uwish

On some firmware upgrades over the years I find it necessary to have my iOS devices "Forget This Network" in the wireless settings and then recreate the Wi-Fi connection. Not sure it will work but its an easy first step to try.

I do the same or you can use the reset network settings in general and that usually clears it right up

updated 5300 to 16 beta 1. 2.4 network was dropping clients and iphones could not connect . 5.2 wifi worked fine. Tried a few changes to 2.4 wifi settings, no change. went back to version 15 and working fine. it was a dirty flash.

updated 5300 to 16 beta 1. 2.4 network was dropping clients and iphones could not connect . 5.2 wifi worked fine. Tried a few changes to 2.4 wifi settings, no change. went back to version 15 and working fine. it was a dirty flash.

I might be sounding like a broken record at this point, but there was zero changes to the wireless code for the RT-AC5300 since last year.

Code:
merlin@ubuntu-dev:~/amng/release/src/router/wl_arm_7114$ git log prebuilt/RT-AC5300/
commit 19f730920271bb4c354d4282c3dccd340fbb59d3
Author: Eric Sauvageau <merlin@asuswrt-merlin.net>
Date:   Thu Nov 28 16:55:24 2019 -0500

Merge RT-AC5300 binary blobs from 384_81219

Your wifi change has nothing to do with the firmware update.

I have to work from home due to the Corona virus, but for me Cisco AnyConnect VPN works fine with 384.16 Beta 1.

I'm using AnyConnect 4.7.00136 on my RT-AX88U to my employer. Not had an issue, or on any merlin release and my prior RT-AC86U unit.

Yeah, all good for me now. But since I've been using AnyConnect routinely for the last five years, and this was the first time anything like this had ever happened, it seemed logical to assume that the initial lack of ability to find the VPN server a few days ago was due to 384.16 beta1.

Note the date of that post you point out. Things have changed. :)

AiMesh isn't 'installed' either. It is either present/supported in the firmware that is loaded or it isn't (depending on the model of Asus router we're talking about). ;)

@doczenith1, no issues upgrading RMerlin firmware on nodes (at least in my very limited use, so far, of AiMesh with 2x RT-AC86U). :)

I love this!

(Please notice my 'Location'. I'm not an 'native' ;))

<Putting on my 'geek' hat>

Actually, that is beside the point!
  1. I was answering a question! And I believe I answered it correctly by pointing out where the idea was coming from.;)
  2. As far as I know (from the mentioned thread) all of this AIMesh-stuff is part of the closed (WiFi) source (i.e. as far as I know (that may not be a lot :)) it's mostly a bunch of protocols on top of the old-fashioned WiFi-bits), nothing to do with Merlin-specific stuff (these were the more or less serious bits ;))
  3. August last year, is that an 'eon' ago? ;)
  4. Things always change, unless they don't! (By now you may have noticed I studied Philosophy) ;)
  5. We both should have used the word 'setup'. I used 'install' only because that was the process I was in, 'what I was doing'. So it isn't present/supported, it is something you have to do to make it functional! ;)
<Geek hat off>

But seriously: I usually do the same as you do and put merlin-firmware on my AIMesh-node(s), simply to keep the same code-base . In this case I ran into a problem setting up AIMesh-mode, even after (sorry, can't resist this) a 'nuclear' (what's really nuclear about it, huh? Is it radioactive? ;)) reset of the AX58U.

And I very diligently used the word 'may', if I may say so!;)

Rik

PS. I was thinking about putting in a quote from 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' by Robert M. Pirsig, specifically 'Yeah, Right' (to point out that a double affirmation may be a negative) but I'm afraid that no-one knows of that book (one of my favorites) anymore. o_O

PPS. In French (my second language, Dutch being the first) they have the wonderful expression 'Et Alors?' That was what president Mitterand said when he was asked about his mistress and it is a massive 'put-down' (it says a lot about pre-#MeToo France, too...). So I decided not to use it. ;)

Last edited:
If you guys need scripting support on AiMesh nodes go for AsusWRT-Merlin if not go for stock, it's as simple as that.

I'm seeing some odd behavior on one PC since upgrading to the newest beta firmware on the AX80. It's so odd, that I'm dubious, other than timing that it could be firmware related.

I updated last night. All other devices have good internet connectivity, with the exception of my wife's PC. She is able to VPN in to get her work email, but her browser keeps showing no Internet connectivity.

It looks like she is simultaneously connected to my wifi network, and something called Juno that shows as having no Internet connection. I cannot see this network on any other PC or i device. My router does not show that it is creating that network, just the one's I would expect.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing these symptoms. I may have to roll back to the non-beta sofware version just to see, but I can't see how the Beta could cause such odd symptoms

@Rik Stigter, I hope I am understanding you correctly in my replies below. :)

1. I don't think it was answered correctly. Sorry. :)
a. But you did find the post that I alluded to in mine. ;)
2. RMerlin doesn't re-create anything Asus has already provided. The latest firmware merely includes the AiMesh functionality.
3. In router time, August of last year is like from back to the future 1955! Routers were steam-powered back then. A single firmware jump can make the previous one obsolete (380.xx to 382.xx, for example). Going back 7 months is trying to live like a caveman (with a router) today. :)
4. I love philosophy too. But things always change even if we think they don't (perspective). ;)
5. AiMesh on the latest firmware is always 'present' (on supported routers, of course). All you need to do to 'enable' it is fully reset the node (and don't touch it afterward) and search for it from the main router. Nothing to 'install'. Nothing to 'setup' either. Built-in. :)

More importantly, no need to 'go back to stock' to install AiMesh. No need at all. :)

I'm seeing some odd behavior on one PC since upgrading to the newest beta firmware on the AX80. It's so odd, that I'm dubious, other than timing that it could be firmware related.

I updated last night. All other devices have good internet connectivity, with the exception of my wife's PC. She is able to VPN in to get her work email, but her browser keeps showing no Internet connectivity.

It looks like she is simultaneously connected to my wifi network, and something called Juno that shows as having no Internet connection. I cannot see this network on any other PC or i device. My router does not show that it is creating that network, just the one's I would expect.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing these symptoms. I may have to roll back to the non-beta sofware version just to see, but I can't see how the Beta could cause such odd symptoms

Regarding the Juno piece of your problem,

I suspect it might be some sort of alarm system or smart house system which is showing its internal/propretary network temporarely...

People whats wrong with the graph the way it is now ??? Honestly do you log into your router interface and stare at it for hours ? It's just another feature to enjoy not meant to be a standard of measure. o_O

Agree completely

For those who like to watch their bandwidth in real time, someone should come up with a mod that uses the router leds as a traffic vu-meter ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding the Juno piece of your problem,

I suspect it might be some sort of alarm system or smart house system which is showing its internal/propretary network temporarely...

I sorted this out. Since my wife has a state issued PC, she can't update it's intell wifi drivers to be compatable with the AX routers. So, I set up a netgear repeater. I'm thinking updating the AX router caused some issues with the repeater, and when I power cycled the repeater, she was ok. Very odd behavior.

Eve
I love this!

(Please notice my 'Location'. I'm not an 'native' ;))

<Putting on my 'geek' hat>

Actually, that is beside the point!
  1. I was answering a question! And I believe I answered it correctly by pointing out where the idea was coming from.;)
  2. As far as I know (from the mentioned thread) all of this AIMesh-stuff is part of the closed (WiFi) source (i.e. as far as I know (that may not be a lot :)) it's mostly a bunch of protocols on top of the old-fashioned WiFi-bits), nothing to do with Merlin-specific stuff (these were the more or less serious bits ;))
  3. August last year, is that an 'eon' ago? ;)
  4. Things always change, unless they don't! (By now you may have noticed I studied Philosophy) ;)
  5. We both should have used the word 'setup'. I used 'install' only because that was the process I was in, 'what I was doing'. So it isn't present/supported, it is something you have to do to make it functional! ;)
<Geek hat off>

But seriously: I usually do the same as you do and put merlin-firmware on my AIMesh-node(s), simply to keep the same code-base . In this case I ran into a problem setting up AIMesh-mode, even after (sorry, can't resist this) a 'nuclear' (what's really nuclear about it, huh? Is it radioactive? ;)) reset of the AX58U.

And I very diligently used the word 'may', if I may say so!;)

Rik

PS. I was thinking about putting in a quote from 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' by Robert M. Pirsig, specifically 'Yeah, Right' (to point out that a double affirmation may be a negative) but I'm afraid that no-one knows of that book (one of my favorites) anymore. o_O

PPS. In French (my second language, Dutch being the first) they have the wonderful expression 'Et Alors?' That was what president Mitterand said when he was asked about his mistress and it is a massive 'put-down' (it says a lot about pre-#MeToo France, too...). So I decided not to use it. ;)

Everytime a member of this forum uses irony in response to a comment, a perfectly functioning AC86U fails. :(

Eve

Everytime a member of this forum uses irony in response to a comment, a perfectly functioning AC86U fails. :(
I think that every time we use irony, a bell rings and an ASUS RT-N12 goes to router heaven.

Hi everybody!

When an .ovpn file is uploaded by the OpenVPN Client Settings, always happens under 384.15, that the check box "Verify Server Certificate" is missing and stays in undefined condition: no Yes and no No (see screenshot).

This prevent starting of the OpenVPN Client. After have set it one time, it stay there until you decide to upload again an .ovpn file. You must remember to recheck it everytime!

Verify Server Certificate Uncheked.jpg

May it depends upon the .ovpn file settings?

If already not to be fixed in 384.16, I ask kindly to fix it

Thanks & Regards
Giorgio

I am on Beta 1 with the much beloved RT-AX58U. I noticed in the IPv6 log that my wife's Iphone seems to grab a boat load of IPv6 addresses. Not really a Beta 1 issue but interesting as every other device has 1 - 3 IPv6 addresses. The Iphone 7 has taken nearly 50 IPv6 addresses. Anyone also experience this or have an explanation why Apple devices do this?

Anyone also experience this or have an explanation why Apple devices do this?

I believe this is part of their privacy addressing scheme. If a stateful address is not being assigned, they will change often.

I believe this is part of their privacy addressing scheme. If a stateful address is not being assigned, they will change often.
My setting is for stateless, so your explanation seems right on.

@maghuro, you need to use search more. :)

Look at the changelog on RMerlin firmware for your answer. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!