What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.16 beta (and 384.13_5) are available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The much discussed new graph (current upload/download speed on the main page) is, in my opinion, a nice visual add-on that @RMerlin has introduced = a good use of page space, thanks.

But I can't believe the amount of airtime and chatter this is now causing.. colours, scale, Mbs vs/ MB/s etc.. seriously?!
  • Asus provide a good, if not in some areas feature-deficient, and often buggy, firmware.
  • @RMerlin takes this and does a wonderful job of cleaning it up, including fixing / updating some key areas.
  • Job done. As I understand it, that's the totality of this projects goal. Rinse and repeat for new firmware versions, all the time with an element of continuous improvement.
I mean, sure, there are plenty of areas I'd personally like further developing. But I'd be rightly referred to the 3rd bullet above - beyond the scope of the project.

Surely, if time is available (which I'm certain is at a premium in any event) there are more fundamental things to improve/tweak/whatever, no?!

Still, don't let me stop the discussion. But I might suggest, if you are really concerned about your routers current throughput, rather than relying on a graph you seem unhappy with - one that wasn't even there before - may I draw your attention to the more detailed Traffic Analyser pane.. there you go - made for the job!

</rant over>
I think the new function is a shiny penny! It attracts a lot of attention.

I have problem with AC86U. After disconnecting some 2,4GHz devices, they couldn't connect again until restart wifi. AC86U in AP mode. Roaming assistant dissabled, fixed channel 6, band width 20MHz. Any idea how to fix it?
Code:
Mar 21 10:14:56 wlceventd: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(401): eth5: Disassoc 84:0D:8E:18:91:D4, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Mar 21 10:14:56 wlceventd: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(420): eth5: Auth 84:0D:8E:18:91:D4, status: 0, reason: d11 RC reserved (0)
Mar 21 10:14:56 wlceventd: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(449): eth5: Assoc 84:0D:8E:18:91:D4, status: 0, reason: d11 RC reserved (0)
Mar 21 10:15:21 wlceventd: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(420): eth5: Auth 2C:3A:E8:2E:8F:C5, status: 0, reason: d11 RC reserved (0)
Mar 21 10:15:21 wlceventd: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(449): eth5: Assoc 2C:3A:E8:2E:8F:C5, status: 0, reason: d11 RC reserved (0)
Mar 21 10:15:33 wlceventd: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(401): eth5: Disassoc 2C:3A:E8:2E:8F:C5, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Mar 21 10:15:33 wlceventd: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(386): eth5: Deauth_ind 2C:3A:E8:2E:8F:C5, status: 0, reason: Class 2 frame received from nonauthenticated station (6)
Mar 21 10:15:33 wlceventd: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(386): eth5: Deauth_ind 2C:3A:E8:2E:8F:C5, status: 0, reason: Class 2 frame received from nonauthenticated station (6)
Mar 21 10:15:37 wlceventd: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(420): eth5: Auth 2C:3A:E8:2E:8F:C5, status: 0, reason: d11 RC reserved (0)
Mar 21 10:15:37 wlceventd: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(449): eth5: Assoc 2C:3A:E8:2E:8F:C5, status: 0, reason: d11 RC reserved (0)

The much discussed new graph (current upload/download speed on the main page) is, in my opinion, a nice visual add-on that @RMerlin has introduced = a good use of page space, thanks.

But I can't believe the amount of airtime and chatter this is now causing.. colours, scale, Mbs vs/ MB/s etc.. seriously?!
Well, everywhere in networking tech you always talk about bits per second when bandwidth comes into focus. Your PC has a 1 Gbps networking adapter, your printer maybe a 100 Mbps network card and your phone is connected with 144 Mbps wifi while your LTE contract includes 100 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up for example.

So, why are speed graphs (not only the new one, also the traffic analyzer sadly does it this way) drawn in bytes per second? I think it's a valid question/discussion if this could be easily changed to bits per second for a better understanding and matching the terminology used everywhere else in the networking world without the need to do maths for comparing it with the bandwidth you pay for. :)

And this discussion has nothing to do with criticism of RMerlins work btw.

KR, chris

I noticed a failure of the routers NTP server last night, as in I have it configured to intercept client NTP requests and various IoT, controllers etc that came online were erroring with time-related issues across multiple reboots = disabled the interception setting and everything worked again on their next boot.

Couldn’t see anything in the logs.

Rubbish error report I know.. fyi and I’ll likely re-enable soon and keep an eye on it.

I just found a similar gui, it's a chinese script in 2016, I don't know if there is a license like GPL, and I don't know if it is safe. but I like this design, just more intuitive.
View attachment 21996
It comes from this this Chinese thread, and image also come from that.
If use table like that, I don't think anyone will complain about throughput shows too high.

EDIT: I found the source code repository and it is under the MIT license.
1.png

Does anyone want to try this script? I didn't try it, but I think it would be the best solution, and Merlin can use it for free because it is open source.

There's no reason for it to "forget" the value, it's a Javascript variable, so it will remain valid for as long you are on that page. If it somehow gets wiped, then something is wrong with your browser.

Hello,
hope you will answer me now.
I got that beta too working on my router now asus rt-ax56u.
what I doing was flashing that beta then doing hardware reset and install router from begining.
after that install my vpn provider from airvpn now works that.
but strange thing my wan port showing red ligth but could surfing on internet and power not showing ligth to

No. Feature bloat, nobody would even be aware of its existence, and it would waste precious nvram space while some routers are desperately running low on available nvram space already.

There's no reason for it to "forget" the value, it's a Javascript variable, so it will remain valid for as long you are on that page. If it somehow gets wiped, then something is wrong with your browser.

Hallo, got working but tryed change to another server adress from my will not start openvpn try put on state service

No. Feature bloat, nobody would even be aware of its existence, and it would waste precious nvram space while some routers are desperately running low on available nvram space already.

RT-AX88U_384.15_0 ---> RT-AX88U_384.16_beta1

Problems with ASUS PCE-AC88:

- it should always stay on 5GHz as it is close enough to the router but recently i've noticed it was connected to 2.4GHz and was unable to return to 5GHz
- sometimes it can't connect to Wi-Fi automatically at all after losing connection (should never happen in the first place), and only manual disconnecting and connecting again fixes the problem

None of these things ever happened before. Going back to 384.15 fixes the problem.

I got that working now again hehehehe
what doing was flash back to asus own firmware and install openvpn client in there.
After that flashed to these beta and now working good speed too:
upload_2020-3-21_13-24-19.png

have another problem :
Mar 21 15:08:51 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth6: Assoc E8:4E:06:51:FB:73, status: Successful (0)
Mar 21 15:08:51 kernel: CFG80211-ERROR) wl_cfg80211_change_station : WLC_SCB_AUTHORIZE sta_flags_mask not set
Mar 21 15:08:52 hostapd: eth6: STA e8:4e:06:51:fb:73 RADIUS: starting accounting session 58AC8DE53E86D160
Mar 21 15:08:52 hostapd: eth6: STA e8:4e:06:51:fb:73 WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)
Mar 21 15:08:52 dnsmasq-dhcp[1304]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.50.192 e8:4e:06:51:fb:73
Mar 21 15:08:52 dnsmasq-dhcp[1304]: Ignoring domain olssondata.intranet for DHCP host name hpwin10pro
Mar 21 15:08:52 dnsmasq-dhcp[1304]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.50.192 e8:4e:06:51:fb:73 hpwin10pro
Mar 21 15:09:26 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(464): eth6: Deauth_ind E8:4E:06:51:FB:73, status: 0, reason: Disassociated due to inactivity (4)
Mar 21 15:09:26 hostapd: eth6: STA e8:4e:06:51:fb:73 IEEE 802.11: disassociated

what is that have an laptop have working before now is that blocked why!!!

I am sure I missed this somewhere but is the new up/down graph available in the 384-13_5 firmware for the 3200? Thanks...

hahaha never give upp now working that again but change in :
setenv UV_IPV6 yes change too no then was that connect to vpn speed not fast but can accept that

384.16b1 seems to be fine on 86u router with 68u AImesh node.

I am almost bored of always reading success stories here. Wouldn't it be fun to just once read "I applied the beta and my router exploded. It blew out the back side of my house and left a 4 meter crater. I will troubleshoot after a shower, to get all this plaster and debris off." ?

384.16b1 seems to be fine on 86u router with 68u AImesh node.

I am almost bored of always reading success stories here. Wouldn't it be fun to just once read "I applied the beta and my router exploded. It blew out the back side of my house and left a 4 meter crater. I will troubleshoot after a shower, to get all this plaster and debris off." ?

lol router doesn't have a power supply that pulls enough power to create a 4 meter crater but that was funny to read.

lol router doesn't have a power supply that pulls enough power to create a 4 meter crater but that was funny to read.
That doesn't mean that someone's not going to go find/use one that can...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!