What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.16 beta (and 384.13_5) are available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this beta2 safe/stable to use or should I go with the release version instead?

Beta means test version. Install, test, report eventual issues.
In other words, help the developer to make the release version better, if you want to.

Newb here. Installed this version on my 68u router. Is this beta2 safe/stable to use or should I go with the release version instead?
It has been stable for me on an AC86U. Your mileage may vary depending on what features you need/use. The purpose of a beta is to test and report issues you encounter. So its totally up to you.

Quad9 bug? I've been using Quad9 on FIOS for five months with AC66U_B1 and for the last month on an AC86U and two AC68U's on cable IPV4 and IPV6 Merlin DoT with zero DNS issues (with that said I have round_robin disabled in Stubby). I had some issues when I was on DSL but attributed those to my ISP and anycast issues. Not Merlin or Stubby.
Still would like a switch to enable/disable round_robin in Stubby, as John's fork has.
Good for you but unfortunately some of us are experiencing the intermittent non resolving sites, not often but it's there.

Good for you but unfortunately some of us are experiencing the intermittent non resolving sites, not often but it's there.

May not be router related right now. My pfSense Firewall with Unbound had some issues resolving some sites in last few weeks. Many people stay home and use terabytes of data. Internet infrastructure is overloaded at times.

May not be router related right now. My pfSense Firewall with Unbound had some issues resolving some sites in last few weeks. Many people stay home and use terabytes of data. Internet infrastructure is overloaded at times.
My observed problem with quad9 has been since last year so it wouldn't be high usage would be the reason, if it is, why does it not happen when I change to a different DNS server? Later in 2019, it improved to a point were I taught it was fixed but after awhile it shows up again in lesser frequency.

That was my first thought too, but I was creating the script anyway for personal use so I figured it would be worth putting out there as the public information to build isn't the best (I think the wiki still references Ubuntu 12.04) and it could potentially lead to others contributing in future. I figure it goes without saying if anyone were to make manual changes they are on their own.

Done, I was just copying over all the hard-coded vars from the original version and didn't think much of it.

Thanks @Adamm for the initiative. I would definitely use your script and appreciate you doing this.

I've put it badly, I manually uploaded the .W file to flash the firmware and all the settings that I previously modified in the stock firmware were retained after flashing.
The only customization I implemented is FreshJr script, I had to tweak multiple settings in Wireless->General and Wireless->Professional to get rid of random ping spikes (confirmed by pinging the router) on a device with an AX200.

Please tell me what you changed. I have the AX200 on my desktop computer and since 384.14 I have been plagued by these latency problems - have to keep turning the WiFi off and on again on my desktop. It's driving me nuts!!! My chromecast is also dropping out and requiring a router reboot every few hours.

(Yes I did a minimal setup and yes I did a full reset/initialization following L&LD instructions)

Please tell me what you changed. I have the AX200 on my desktop computer and since 384.14 I have been plagued by these latency problems - have to keep turning the WiFi off and on again on my desktop. It's driving me nuts!!! My chromecast is also dropping out and requiring a router reboot every few hours.

(Yes I did a minimal setup and yes I did a full reset/initialization following L&LD instructions)
I play with the 5ghz channel, I set channel bandwith to 20mhz and Channel to 36(Use Wi-Fi Analyzer) to make sure it's not an issue caused by interference with other channels.
Go in the Wireless->Professional Tab
https://imgur.com/a/Dnj161x Those are my settings for 2.4ghz and 5ghz, if you are using time sensitive applications you must first of all disable TX-Bursting, AMPDU-Aggregation.
Airtime fairness may prioritize devices based on being faster/closer to the router, since my AX200 devices is the further from the router I disabled this setting.
Go to the device manager-> Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160Mhz and tweak this settings:
  • Global BG Scan Blocking: ALWAYS
This setting prevents your wifi card from periodically searching for new Access Points, it is automatically set to "never", so your wifi card is always scanning.
  • MIMO power save mode: Without SMPS
You don't need this power saving feature, keeping it disabled may benefit throughput.
  • U-APSD Support: disabled
*power saving feature
  • Packets Merging: Disabled
It's another power saving feature, it reduces the number of receiving interrupts by randomly merging packets.
( I may have mistranslated the name of this last setting, I can't find info about this settings that are not in my native language)

I can now play games while pinging the router with a stable 1ms, before I used to have 30-90ms spikes every 5 seconds which where quite noticeable.

Don't forget to update your AX200 drivers to 21.80.2.

Not getting any WiFi insights (WiFi radar tab). Even running an external Alpha that supports monitor mode. No stats on these asp pages.

348.16_beta2 bug or am I missing something?

I play with the 5ghz channel, I set channel bandwith to 20mhz and Channel to 36(Use Wi-Fi Analyzer) to make sure it's not an issue caused by interference with other channels.
Go in the Wireless->Professional Tab
https://imgur.com/a/Dnj161x Those are my settings for 2.4ghz and 5ghz, if you are using time sensitive applications you must first of all disable TX-Bursting, AMPDU-Aggregation.
Airtime fairness may prioritize devices based on being faster/closer to the router, since my AX200 devices is the further from the router I disabled this setting.
Go to the device manager-> Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160Mhz and tweak this settings:
  • Global BG Scan Blocking: ALWAYS
This setting prevents your wifi card from periodically searching for new Access Points, it is automatically set to "never", so your wifi card is always scanning.
  • MIMO power save mode: Without SMPS
You don't need this power saving feature, keeping it disabled may benefit throughput.
  • U-APSD Support: disabled
*power saving feature
  • Packets Merging: Disabled
It's another power saving feature, it reduces the number of receiving interrupts by randomly merging packets.
( I may have mistranslated the name of this last setting, I can't find info about this settings that are not in my native language)

I can now play games while pinging the router with a stable 1ms, before I used to have 30-90ms spikes every 5 seconds which where quite noticeable.

Don't forget to update your AX200 drivers to 21.80.2.

Thanks for the power saving feature disablement tip.

@MyPal did you click on Start Data Collection in Settings?

Hi, today RT-AX58U on RT-AX58U_384.16_beta2 acting strange.
Summarize dmesg shows (digits in front is the line count of appearance)
#dmesg | sort | uniq -c | sort -n | tail -n 5
2 net_ratelimit: 1528 callbacks suppressed
3 CFG80211-ERROR) wl_cfg80211_change_station : WLC_SCB_AUTHORIZE sta_flags_mask not set
3 net_ratelimit: 1150 callbacks suppressed
3 net_ratelimit: 1245 callbacks suppressed
1213 protocol 0800 is buggy, dev br0

Some thing is buggy =O)

Cheers,
beep

AES-CCMP software support...I suppose this is an ASUS thing.

Is it coming on the AX routers?

I have defeated WPA2 in the lab. CCMP would make a difference.

Last edited:
I just saw an update drop with new QoS categories will this be added in beta 3 when the gpl is available?

I just saw an update drop with new QoS categories will this be added in beta 3 when the gpl is available?

Unlikely, as such a change will require me to have a GPL update for every single model at the same time. I cannot update just one or two models, and mix that code with other models still using the older code.

Also I don't want to merge new GPLs this late into this development cycle. At most I might merge an SDK (like the RT-AC86U, it was only a few files related to wifi), any more complex change will have to wait for the next release cycle.

Hi, today RT-AX58U on RT-AX58U_384.16_beta2 acting strange.
Summarize dmesg shows (digits in front is the line count of appearance)
#dmesg | sort | uniq -c | sort -n | tail -n 5
2 net_ratelimit: 1528 callbacks suppressed
3 CFG80211-ERROR) wl_cfg80211_change_station : WLC_SCB_AUTHORIZE sta_flags_mask not set
3 net_ratelimit: 1150 callbacks suppressed
3 net_ratelimit: 1245 callbacks suppressed
1213 protocol 0800 is buggy, dev br0

Some thing is buggy =O)

Cheers,
beep

Do you have AiMesh enabled?
Do you see any messages like "kernel: br0: received packet on <interface> with own address as source address"?

Asus RT-AX56U 384.16_beta2
First install -> Runner : Enabled.
Enable QoS -> Runner : Disabled (Qos).
Disable Qos -> Runner : Enabled.

After that when i reboot router Runner stays Disabled (no QoS in brackets). I have each time to re enable QoS and then disable QoS to have Runner : Enabled.
Scripts running : Diversion, uiDivStats, Entware packages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!