What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.16 beta (and 384.13_5) are available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this thread has gone way off topic again any idea for a final release at this point ?

It'll happen when it'll happen, As Eric said in last few posts he's currently busy with other stuff but as per his Github commits logs he's still working whenever the time permits so right now we just have to be patient, wait and isolate ourselves just like the rest of the world.

Probably with beta1 and for certain with beta2, I am seeing very infrequent DNS lookup failures from my browser. Reentering the canonical address a second time has resulted in success. No changes to DNS settings from 384.15.

A (very early!) sneak peak for those of you interested in building the firmware yourselves;

rhE0m4D.png

;)

Thanks[mention]Adamm [/mention] ! I was just trying on how to install this on my Ubuntu in Virtual box early this morning and couldn’t figure out how to copy your script. Would you be able to give us some step-by-step instructions?

Thanks much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks[mention]Adamm [/mention] ! I was just trying on how to install this on my Ubuntu in Virtual box early this morning and couldn’t figure out how to copy your script. Would you be able to give us some step-by-step instructions?

Thanks much!

There will be a release post in the coming days when its ready for public use. Luckily due to the lock-down my free time (and bordem!) has increased, this being a product of it :p

There will be a release post in the coming days when its ready for public use. Luckily due to the lock-down my free time (and bordem!) has increased, this being a product of it :p

Thanks so much!

A (very early!) sneak peak for those of you interested in building the firmware yourselves;

rhE0m4D.png

;)
This is amazing ! As soon as they post a github update I can finally compile it by myself no more struggling with Linux

Personally, I'm apprehensive with this idea. Compiling firmware requires the user to be a little tech savvy.

If your script has any bugs and causes an incorrectly built firmware image (you've tested on all models right?), then users could end up with a router that's not immediately obvious how to fix. I assume you've written instructions on how to recover from a bad flash?

It's on Adamm00 github if anyone wants an early sneak peek ;)

Please remove the option to enable Merlin Update support. That should only be enabled by me, to ensure that people don't get bogus update alerts when running customized builds that may use a different versioning scheme.

any idea for a final release at this point ?

No. There are still major unresolved issues that I'm struggling to address, and I have no timetable.

@Jack Yaz I see this future script possibility as exciting. But not for myself (I know my limitations).

I hope others know their limitations too. At least they should sign off on a clause like 'I take all responsibility for using this script...'. :)

Probably with beta1 and for certain with beta2, I am seeing very infrequent DNS lookup failures from my browser. Reentering the canonical address a second time has resulted in success. No changes to DNS settings from 384.15.
Likely the overload from from people at home due to the pandemic. I'm also seeing it sporadically during peak periods.

Also some dropouts in streaming services.

I've seen this behaviour with Quad9, are using it?

@Jack Yaz
At least they should sign off on a clause like 'I take all responsibility for using this script...'. :)

May I propose “I solemnly swear that I am up to no good”?

Personally, I'm apprehensive with this idea. Compiling firmware requires the user to be a little tech savvy.

If your script has any bugs and causes an incorrectly built firmware image (you've tested on all models right?), then users could end up with a router that's not immediately obvious how to fix. I assume you've written instructions on how to recover from a bad flash?

That was my first thought too, but I was creating the script anyway for personal use so I figured it would be worth putting out there as the public information to build isn't the best (I think the wiki still references Ubuntu 12.04) and it could potentially lead to others contributing in future. I figure it goes without saying if anyone were to make manual changes they are on their own.

Please remove the option to enable Merlin Update support. That should only be enabled by me, to ensure that people don't get bogus update alerts when running customized builds that may use a different versioning scheme.

Done, I was just copying over all the hard-coded vars from the original version and didn't think much of it.

Yep, I've been using Quad9. I guess it must be related to many people now working from home.
It isn't really because of the usage lately but this quad9 bug has been there for awhile, it chokes then recover very quickly. Just to make sure try use another DNS server(cloudflare or any) and see if there is change.

It isn't really because of the usage lately but this quad9 bug has been there for awhile, it chokes then recover very quickly. Just to make sure try use another DNS server(cloudflare or any) and see if there is change.
Quad9 bug? I've been using Quad9 on FIOS for five months with AC66U_B1 and for the last month on an AC86U and two AC68U's on cable IPV4 and IPV6 Merlin DoT with zero DNS issues (with that said I have round_robin disabled in Stubby). I had some issues when I was on DSL but attributed those to my ISP and anycast issues. Not Merlin or Stubby.
Still would like a switch to enable/disable round_robin in Stubby, as John's fork has.

I've a question
Right now I have ipv6 enabled by tunnel 6in4. Everywhere (for example on a simple speedtest), ipv6 traffic is counted as upload instead of download (for example on QoS).
Is this expected or is it some kind of bug?

Thanks!

That was my first thought too, but I was creating the script anyway for personal use so I figured it would be worth putting out there as the public information to build isn't the best (I think the wiki still references Ubuntu 12.04) and it could potentially lead to others contributing in future. I figure it goes without saying if anyone were to make manual changes they are on their own.

Many thanks. I may not actually install the firmware I build, but I am using this as a chance to learn how it is maintained and built. I am a retired systems engineer with lots of AIX / shell scripting experience, but never messed around much with Linux. It looks like your new script takes your earlier script and adds the functionality of merlin's "build-all.sh". I anxiously await your working version.

Also - apologies since this is a bit OT for the beta thread. FWIW, the Beta2 has been working flawlessly for me since its release.

Newb here. Installed this version on my 68u router. Is this beta2 safe/stable to use or should I go with the release version instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!