What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.16 beta (and 384.13_5) are available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to double check....when you set the channel manually you are setting the same channel that is selected by auto? Different channels can have different capabilities as well as react differently to environmental factors.
Same channel in manual mode as in auto. ONLY manual/auto being the differance...

Was like this once in the very first Merlin firmwares for ax88u

RMerlin, it would be possible to backport any of the changes to your FW 384.13_5?.

No. I can no longer use anything coming for 382, that code is no longer compatible with mine.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-read-me-first-before-posting-a-question.47153/

Your model is on limited support going forward (please use search for further details).
I had already read it in the first page of the thread, but thank you anyway.
I was refering to some changes that can be in the non closed source parts and that maybe could be ported. Limited support is not the same that "no support at all" ;).
I still have not lost the faith in ASUS, as they ported to 384 even older routers than the RT-AC87U.

Anyway, although it is in limited support, I would like to say thank you to RMerlin as he has had this model in the list even not having the adequate means to do it.:)[/QUOTE]

Can you tell me what configuration you have in 5ghz and I have to make the channel automatic and it does not go up to 280 megabytes when previously in other firmware versions it reached 450 megabytes.
thanks and regards..
Check my post directly above yours. Any manual channel (even the same as the one automatic chooses for you) will get it back to same speed as before
I took photos of it and posted link to them

Last edited:
No. I can no longer use anything coming for 382, that code is no longer compatible with mine.
OK. Thank you again for providing these last updates.
It is a pity that ASUS is not making the effort to maintain this router, that on the other hand, is working very well under a heavy load these days of coronavirus. We are four working or having classes from home, without any glitch.:eek:

It is a pity that ASUS is not making the effort to maintain this router, that on the other hand, is working very well under a heavy load these days of coronavirus. We are four working or having classes from home, without any glitch.:eek:

They are still providing updates for a 5 years old model, which is longer than any of their competitors do at the moment. For instance, check Netgear's support for the R7500 V1, which is their Quantenna-based product similar to the RT-AC87U. They dropped it, and only support the V2, non-Quantenna based revision.

EDIT: I just checked, Netgear last update the R7500 V1 in Mid-2018. That means they dropped support for it 20 minths ago, while Asus still provides support for their RT-AC87U.

I simply don't have the time and resources to provide separate legacy support for these models, since this is a one-man gig. In an ideal world, someone would have a fork that is still based on the 382 code, and be able to maintain that in parallel to the 384 models that I currently support. That 382 codebase would allow them to keep merging in updates from Asus.

Unless Asus decides to move these models to the 386 code base at the same time they move all others, I will have to entirely drop support for these in the near future as I simply don't have the time to deal with the extra workload involved in maintaining three separate branches.

RMerlin, can you give any appeal to ASUS for them to do so? I'm assuming you have some sort of contact with them, even if in most superficial way. I guess you saying something about it would hold more value than if anyone of us nags here or on some other random site or blog... Just brainstorming. After all it would simplify it for ASUS and you and would "lock" more users into buying more ASUS hardware. I mean, your firmware (and partially ASUS's effort) is one of reasons I'll probably be buying ASUS routers till the end of my life. They are that good as whole despite the issues I'm having with RT-AX58U... I've had Linksys, I've had Netgear and they were all terrible. They were only saved by TomatoRAF which is a dead project now. With stock firmware, they were utter useless garbage. ASUS is at least good in that regard and with your (ASUSWRT-Merlin), it's excellent. A quality hard to find with any other router from my experience. It would be good for business and their reputation.

The AX58U is a pretty stable router that functions well and beyond it's purchase price. I don't see anyone else reporting the issues you are having with the AX58U for most it works very well.

Strange issue... Clients that are using vpn on network the data is reversed (up is down and vice-versa) on beta 1 Ave beta 3 rt-ax88u. I have selective routing using ipvanish via router.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

The AX58U is a pretty stable router that functions well and beyond it's purchase price. I don't see anyone else reporting the issues you are having with the AX58U for most it works very well.

It works very well. If you don't use IPTV function. Or AiProtection/QoS. Other than that, it works great, yes. When it does work, I actually get better speeds than with RT-AC87U. Not by a lot, but it basically maxes my line wirelessly on laptop. With 87U it misses the mark by some 15-20Mbit. Upload also suffers a lot. 5-8Mbit instead of full 9.5-10Mbit.

The thing is, how many people go and enable features that are disabled by default, like AiProtection and QoS? Also, how many of those that do enable them also use IPTV passthrough? And how many out of those people manage to figure out what the problem even is before just ditching it? Well, then there's me. I need those features and then it doesn't work as it should. Merlin has no access to this stuff coz it's closed source components so I'm left at mercy of ASUS...

You are on the money, I've had it last once for hours.

I've seen this with some Optus services. You can try AGGRESSIVE WAN DHCP Query Frequency and/or cloning and/or changing your MAC address.

RMerlin, can you give any appeal to ASUS for them to do so?

Such major decisions are taken at the management level based on business elements. I carry no weight in this regard.

Strange issue... Clients that are using vpn on network the data is reversed (up is down and vice-versa) on beta 1 Ave beta 3 rt-ax88u. I have selective routing using ipvanish via router.

Long time issue that I can't fix, it's due to the way everything is implemented at the network stack level.

their is a test firmware but you will have to ask Jack Cheng asus rep
I did still waiting for a response from him, seems like he's probably extremely busy which makes sense.

RMerlin, can you give any appeal to ASUS for them to do so? I'm assuming you have some sort of contact with them, even if in most superficial way. I guess you saying something about it would hold more value than if anyone of us nags here or on some other random site or blog... Just brainstorming. After all it would simplify it for ASUS and you and would "lock" more users into buying more ASUS hardware. I mean, your firmware (and partially ASUS's effort) is one of reasons I'll probably be buying ASUS routers till the end of my life. They are that good as whole despite the issues I'm having with RT-AX58U... I've had Linksys, I've had Netgear and they were all terrible. They were only saved by TomatoRAF which is a dead project now. With stock firmware, they were utter useless garbage. ASUS is at least good in that regard and with your (ASUSWRT-Merlin), it's excellent. A quality hard to find with any other router from my experience. It would be good for business and their reputation.
You could always petition Jack Cheng, I think he's Asus regional manager of I remember correctly I'm sure he would be willing to help.

yes he is if you can get hold of him
I'm still waiting, for a response to asking about the continuous mode testing firmware, I'm just hoping that my connection will be stable in the meantime till it's released as official, not keen on calling my ISP to ask them to try to troubleshoot the issue and wating an eternity to talk to someone.

Also thank you RMerlin beta 3 seems to be really good so far so good and stable, the only odd ring was I had the contrack error out of the blue, I thought put it then script to silence it but turns out it wasn't there so after fixing that no issues to report so far.

I'm still waiting, for a response to asking about the continuous mode testing firmware, I'm just hoping that my connection will be stable in the meantime till it's released as official, not keen on calling my ISP to ask them to try to troubleshoot the issue and wating an eternity to talk to someone.

Also thank you RMerlin beta 3 seems to be really good so far so good and stable, the only odd ring was I had the contrack error out of the blue, I thought put it then script to silence it but turns out it wasn't there so after fixing that no issues to report so far.

did you contact him through whirlpool forum by any chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!