What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.16 beta (and 384.13_5) are available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are still providing updates for a 5 years old model, which is longer than any of their competitors do at the moment. For instance, check Netgear's support for the R7500 V1, which is their Quantenna-based product similar to the RT-AC87U. They dropped it, and only support the V2, non-Quantenna based revision.

EDIT: I just checked, Netgear last update the R7500 V1 in Mid-2018. That means they dropped support for it 20 minths ago, while Asus still provides support for their RT-AC87U.

I simply don't have the time and resources to provide separate legacy support for these models, since this is a one-man gig. In an ideal world, someone would have a fork that is still based on the 382 code, and be able to maintain that in parallel to the 384 models that I currently support. That 382 codebase would allow them to keep merging in updates from Asus.

Unless Asus decides to move these models to the 386 code base at the same time they move all others, I will have to entirely drop support for these in the near future as I simply don't have the time to deal with the extra workload involved in maintaining three separate branches.

RMerlin, I understand for sure your position. Your are doing an incredible work mostly alone. So no more request about that.

On the other hand, I was not complaining about Asus leaving support for the RT-AC87U, but for not giving a support that is done for other older and with less capabilities ASUS routers (e.g. RT-AC68U). I feel that the RT-AC87U is doing well even under a strong load we have these days, and I would like to use it in the future until the HW dies. As Rejzor, I also use IPTV from my ISP provider and not all routers are able to substitute the original ISP router, so as it is working, I prefer not to start having problems with a new router.

I have used your FW from the beginning, and I would like to continue using it, even loosing any improvements ASUS can introduce in the stock FW, so thank you for your efforts done even moving RT-AC87U to 384 base code.

384.16_Beta 3 running well on AC86U for 24 hours, basic config + OpenVPN + IpSec connections, dirty upgrade from 384.15.

Having this error message on both my routers that comes every few hours. I have no clue how to identify if this an error on the VPN provider side or on the router side. Maybe anyone could give me input on how to identify this, when possible.
The error is:
14:25:43 /usr/sbin/l2tpd[606]: Too many retransmissions on tunnel (20097/59354); closing down
The moment this event occurs my router is blocking the internet connection. A reboot or switching the VPN client off and on again keeps the router going as desired.

RMerlin, I understand for sure your position. Your are doing an incredible work mostly alone. So no more request about that.

On the other hand, I was not complaining about Asus leaving support for the RT-AC87U, but for not giving a support that is done for other older and with less capabilities ASUS routers (e.g. RT-AC68U). I feel that the RT-AC87U is doing well even under a strong load we have these days, and I would like to use it in the future until the HW dies. As Rejzor, I also use IPTV from my ISP provider and not all routers are able to substitute the original ISP router, so as it is working, I prefer not to start having problems with a new router.

I have used your FW from the beginning, and I would like to continue using it, even loosing any improvements ASUS can introduce in the stock FW, so thank you for your efforts done even moving RT-AC87U to 384 base code.

This post made me curious about the specs on the RT-AC87U so I went to the Asus site to check it out. One question for you..... considering how much it weighs, where do you have it located? :)

B72E9A0F-F6DF-4E43-9ACE-D97A5A32422D.jpeg

This post made me curious about the specs on the RT-AC87U so I went to the Asus site to check it out. One question for you..... considering how much it weighs, where do you have it located? :)

View attachment 22353
I had to call in contractors to build a concrete stand for mine. That was after it broke a bookshelf and two cabinets.

EDIT: In fact it's not so much that I don't want to get rid of this now legacy router, but that I can't!

Last edited:
1F61FBC8-6FB2-40A4-ACF4-078A231456DF.jpeg
The only issue is at this time, they do not support DoT on the 1.1.1.2 or 1.1.1.3 servers but they are working on it.

View attachment 22357 The only issue is at this time, they do not support DoT on the 1.1.1.2 or 1.1.1.3 servers but they are working on it.
I've been using 1.1.1.2 & 1.0.0.2 wit DOT on strict and its resolving....does that mean something is wrong?

It's resolving, but not blocking anything.
How so? Does this fallback to the basic Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 if DoT is enabled?

I had to call in contractors to build a concrete stand for mine. That was after it broke a bookshelf and two cabinets.

EDIT: In fact it's not so much that I don't want to get rid of this now legacy router, but that I can't!
My main is now the ax88u- light weight and dependable. My 87 does the loadbalancing.

View attachment 22353
Well, as in Spain we use the metric system, maybe here 747 lb is not so much ;).

@JIPG, unless Spain is above earth orbit, 747 pounds is still 'too much', whether in English or Metric units used. :)

@htismaqe actually it is less than 339Kg. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!