What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.16 beta (and 384.13_5) are available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

first to say Thank you Merlin - as this is my first post over here, appreciate your work!
I know it’s not up to you entirely, but do you keep planning to keep up with the builds for RT-AX56U as I bought it to test and I am pretty happy with it(I’ve tested all 3_ betas and I am really pleased, not even minor things but I am not a power user). Had an old dark knight(was pretty happy with it) but you dropped support quite a while ago - understandably quite an old unit. The thing is if don’t plan to update RT-AX56U I’m not keen to keep it.

Another thing I wanted to ask how talkative are those Asus routers do they phone home ? I remember if you use certain features they send data to some company, but has anyone actually checked if they are phoning home? Is there any hardware build in function which does that?
If so is it better to get low end business class router if you are not after speed that much?

I saw there is another firewall that can be used: Skynet - Router Firewall & Security Enhancements I’ve installed it to test it, hope its good !

Not that technical guys don’t judge me

And thanks for answering!

Regards

I know it’s not up to you entirely, but do you keep planning to keep up with the builds for RT-AX56U

I would say yes 100% as this is a new router and Merlin has just started supporting it. Probably be supported for quite some time.

Merlin I have a question but I don't know were else to put it, and hopefully here in the beta thread people can test by themselves.

On main webpage, we have the option to see the connected clients. It shows us clients by Name, IP, Mac, Signal strength, TX rate, etc...

I am using YazFi to connect all my IoT devices to use specific DNS without the hassle of editing one by one. My router IP is 10.1.1.1. My YazFi is giving its 10.1.100.1

On that client list, the IP is wrong, it shows like if the device is in a 10.1.1.x IP, but on the wireless log the IP shows fine and if I ping my devices using 10.1.100.X they ping successfully, but if I try the 10.1.1.X ip in that list, they are never found

Is someone else here using the beta experimenting the same?

The two below are the same devices that on the image below, but IP on the first one is wrong and doesn't work

Captura de Pantalla 2020-04-03 a la(s) 5.52.57 p. m..png

Captura de Pantalla 2020-04-03 a la(s) 5.52.22 p. m..png

Loaded factory firmware on AC86U just to try it. Went back to .16 beta3, reset, manual config. Stubby does not work. VPN server will not start. Loaded saved backup for prior .16 beta 3 and jffs. Same issues. Too late tonight to try more. Just reporting issues.
Also have an AC68U that will not start vpn server. That on .16 beta3 as well.

Loaded factory firmware on AC86U just to try it. Went back to .16 beta3, reset, manual config. Stubby does not work. VPN server will not start. Loaded saved backup for prior .16 beta 3 and jffs. Same issues. Too late tonight to try more. Just reporting issues.
Also have an AC68U that will not start vpn server. That on .16 beta3 as well.

You need to check your setup, because nobody else has reported the same issues as you. OpenVPN for instance hasn't been changed in a long time.

On main webpage, we have the option to see the connected clients. It shows us clients by Name, IP, Mac, Signal strength, TX rate, etc...

Networkmap only handles /24 networks, it cannot handle a /16 like you seem to be using.

I installed the beta3 firmware on both my AX88U units 3 days ago. It looks stable and I haven't seen strange things yet. :).

Nice!

Networkmap only handles /24 networks, it cannot handle a /16 like you seem to be using.

On that client list, the IP is wrong, it shows like if the device is in a 10.1.1.x IP, but on the wireless log the IP shows fine and if I ping my devices using 10.1.100.X they ping successfully, but if I try the 10.1.1.X ip in that list, they are never found

In case you still want to use Class A IP address scheme then you can simply change the subnet mask in LAN>LAN IP to make it /24 or less network. I'm using it that way since ages without any issues.

P.S Some might ask here what's the point of using Class A address as Class C address, I do it just because I like the class A address scheme, it's way easier to write 10.1.1.1 than 192.168.1.1 ( less finger movement ) hehe.

I play with the 5ghz channel, I set channel bandwith to 20mhz and Channel to 36(Use Wi-Fi Analyzer) to make sure it's not an issue caused by interference with other channels.
Go in the Wireless->Professional Tab
https://imgur.com/a/Dnj161x Those are my settings for 2.4ghz and 5ghz, if you are using time sensitive applications you must first of all disable TX-Bursting, AMPDU-Aggregation.
Airtime fairness may prioritize devices based on being faster/closer to the router, since my AX200 devices is the further from the router I disabled this setting.
Go to the device manager-> Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160Mhz and tweak this settings:
  • Global BG Scan Blocking: ALWAYS
This setting prevents your wifi card from periodically searching for new Access Points, it is automatically set to "never", so your wifi card is always scanning.
  • MIMO power save mode: Without SMPS
You don't need this power saving feature, keeping it disabled may benefit throughput.
  • U-APSD Support: disabled
*power saving feature
  • Packets Merging: Disabled
It's another power saving feature, it reduces the number of receiving interrupts by randomly merging packets.
( I may have mistranslated the name of this last setting, I can't find info about this settings that are not in my native language)

I can now play games while pinging the router with a stable 1ms, before I used to have 30-90ms spikes every 5 seconds which where quite noticeable.

Don't forget to update your AX200 drivers to 21.80.2.
I matched your settings and my router had "MU-MIMO" on the professional page so I turned that off too. My desktop is now stable! Woohoo.... But my phone still repeatedly drops out while I'm using the connection (oddly doesn't seem to while it's not downloading) and my chromecast still doesn't work without a reboot every time I want to use it. These issues were not present in .13 - my connection was rock solid on all devices

RT-AC5300

edit: is there any way to know what was changed in the binaries for RT-AC5300 after .13? Something is seriously broken

In case you still want to use Class A IP address scheme then you can simply change the subnet mask in LAN>LAN IP to make it /24 or less network. I'm using it that way since ages without any issues.

P.S Some might ask here what's the point of using Class A address as Class C address, I do it just because I like the class A address scheme, it's way easier to write 10.1.1.1 than 192.168.1.1 ( less finger movement ) hehe.

That's precisely what I do. I use 10 and 172.16 networks along with the 192.168 network on many consumer routers and most of them work just fine as long as you don't try to use anything larger than a /24 net mask.

I wonder if this is because there are only 8 bits available for network addresses or if it's just lazy programming.

I wonder if this is because there are only 8 bits available for network addresses or if it's just lazy programming.

It's designed to handle only /24 network (maximum number of supported clients are 255-2) since they are for SOHO, not carrier grade routers.

It's designed to handle only /24 network (maximum number of supported clients are 255-2) since they are for SOHO, not carrier grade routers.
That doesn't make sense to me. There are many reasons a home user would want to segment their network, particularly if they have IOT devices. Asus doesn't even make commercial gear to my knowledge, so greater network flexibility wouldn't cannibalize other product lines.

That doesn't make sense to me. There are many reasons a home user would want to segment their network, particularly if they have IOT devices. Asus doesn't even make commercial gear to my knowledge, so greater network flexibility wouldn't cannibalize other product lines.

Open up a guest network slot and put all your IOT devices there.

To segment IoT to their own networks, you need VLANs and that's one more thing Asus doesn't support (completely). It makes complete sense, you're asking for carrier-grade features on SOHO routers and that's not how things work because the features are all dependant on the hardware being used in the router.

Open up a guest network slot and put all your IOT devices there.
Right on. Very easy. Just use a guest network as it only has Internet access (default option for guest network).

Right on. Very easy. Just use a guest network as it only has Internet access (default option for guest network).
I want to be able to make one firewall rule for all IOT devices (like blocking outgoing SYN packets). I think I can fudge it with firewall rules like 192.168.1.192/26 to cover all devices between 192.168.1.192 - 192.168.1.255 and put all the IOT devices there.

Unless they've changed it since it became closed source, it's because networkmap is a very old design, which was doing a hardcoded /24 ARP scan. I assume that extending that to larger networks, while technically possible, would greatly slow down networkmap's network scan. There might also be memory usage issues involved, which once again would require a major redesign of the current implementation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!