What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.8 beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the RT-AX88U I can't enable openvpn server #2
I haven't tried it yet on any other version then beta 2.
I've tried the default settings, the same settings as #1 (of course disabling #1 to test #2)
Somehow it keeps saying it failed to start.

Look at your system log, it will tell you why.

Looks like going from scratch will be the best option? Suggestions?
Always the best option to solve things after an update.
Only restore on same firmware and router, so not recommended in you case!
If update is fine no need for restoring and if it fails you will make it even bader as new parameters and settings will be missing from older firmware.

Last edited:
Always the best option to solve things after an update.
Only restore on same firmware and router, so not recommended in you case!
If update is fine no need for restoring and if it fails you will make it even bader as new parameters and settings will be missing from older firmware.
It is same router using the nvram utility. The issue seems to be tied to ATT Giga service.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Maybe not only related to 384_8 but others too and stock as well, dont know, just uptdated to last beta2 and had the trouble with it.

I changed 68U to router mode as I can allow second connection (passthrough mode with 2nd public IP from provider) on modemrouter, like a modem in bridge mode. My other router still running in AP mode on modem.
Set 68U to PPPoE, set user/pw and hard time to find VLAN setting in hidden TV page (not easy to find, never thaught it will be in TV as I only want to setup internet connection!!!).

Then I reverted back to AP mode, and could not access GUI anymore, SSH ok and clients can connect to internet, but no GUI.
After I tried a lot I remembered VLAN setting and removed it, then all was working again.

Is this a bug, I really think so?

In my understanding when changing to AP-mode the router has to forget "router"-settings and has to configure itself as AP and nothing else.
You cannot know everything what you have to change back before changing the mode to have it running correct as an AP.

Last edited:
Look at your system log, it will tell you why.

System log:
Code:
Nov 23 19:48:57 rc_service: httpd 29560:notify_rc stop_vpnserver2;clearvpnserver2
Nov 23 19:48:57 openvpn: Resetting server (unit 2) to default settings
Nov 23 19:49:21 rc_service: httpd 29560:notify_rc restart_chpass;restart_vpnserver2
Nov 23 19:49:21 kernel: device tun22 entered promiscuous mode
Nov 23 19:49:22 init: VPN_LOG_ERROR: 1440: Starting VPN instance failed...

And that's it

Does anyone else have issues with QOS Statistics page? Mine seems to oddly refresh at weird times. Definitely not working as usual. I have cleared cache and still it happens. Strange.

EDIT: Just as strange the situation is good now. No issue with that page anymore. Hmmmo_Oo_O

System log:
Code:
Nov 23 19:48:57 rc_service: httpd 29560:notify_rc stop_vpnserver2;clearvpnserver2
Nov 23 19:48:57 openvpn: Resetting server (unit 2) to default settings
Nov 23 19:49:21 rc_service: httpd 29560:notify_rc restart_chpass;restart_vpnserver2
Nov 23 19:49:21 kernel: device tun22 entered promiscuous mode
Nov 23 19:49:22 init: VPN_LOG_ERROR: 1440: Starting VPN instance failed...

And that's it

Confirmed, I suspect it's related to the multicore handling of the AX88U as it works correctly on dual core models.

Hi Eric,

New firmware version 384.5247 is out for RT-AX88U. Are we going to see any changes in Merlin firmware based on this new Asus stock firmware? My ax88u router is already on the latest 380.5247. Will it be safe to update ax router to Merlin 380.8 Beta 2 version which is based on old Asus stock firmware 384.4736? Thanks

Going to wait for next beta since not much changes for rt-ac5300

Hello,
I have problems with the last 384-8-beta2 firmware on my AC88U in the OpenVPN setting menu (i can't switch between my different VPN config: Select client instance doesn't show the differents config... ).
and on the DHCP server menu I can't click on MAC... to select my differents devices
I dowgrade to Beta 1 and don't have this problems...
Someone else have this?

@RMerlin On my AC3100 when I activate wtfast it kills my OVPN client. Client shows connected but there is no surf ability. Is this normal?o_O:confused:

Hello,
I have problems with the last 384-8-beta2 firmware on my AC88U in the OpenVPN setting menu (i can't switch between my different VPN config: Select client instance doesn't show the differents config... ).
and on the DHCP server menu I can't click on MAC... to select my differents devices
Someone else have this?

I can not replicate these issues with Safari.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

New firmware version 384.5247 is out for RT-AX88U. Are we going to see any changes in Merlin firmware based on this new Asus stock firmware?

Not in 384.8, that will have to wait for 384.9.

Will it be safe to update ax router to Merlin 380.8 Beta 2 version which is based on old Asus stock firmware 384.4736?

Yes.

Hello,
Someone else have this?

You probably have a badly named client that contains an illegal character, like a quote. Open your browser console and look for any Javascript error.

@RMerlin On my AC3100 when I activate wtfast it kills my OVPN client. Client shows connected but there is no surf ability. Is this normal?o_O:confused:

No idea, I don't use WTFast, and I have no idea how it's implemented since it's entirely closed source.

You probably have a badly named client that contains an illegal character, like a quote. Open your browser console and look for any Javascript error.

Thank you for your answer
but, after i see this problem i have made a Factory restore and i have the same problem...
I can't add openvpn config or add DHCP clients...
the beta 1 work fine
maybe a probem with my version of Firefox... i didn't make test with other browser?

I am the only one to have this problem?

I would say farewell to the AC3200 too, it's been 2 releases without support for this router :( :(
I just bought a AC-5300 off CL last night to replace my Ac-3200. I am tired of being out of the loop on things and feel like the 3200 was an off-branch model that will never get the same attention as the rest. Hopefully I can flip my ac-3200 for the same price I paid for the ac-5300 :D Time ti put Merlin on this 5300 and really let is fly!

Dirty flash to 384.8.b2 - from 384.7.2 all good ... tested all add-ons etc - running puurfectly. Many thnx

No idea, I don't use WTFast, and I have no idea how it's implemented since it's entirely closed source.
I did some digging and found out that wtfast is not supposed to be used at the same time as another vpn. It causes all kinds of conflicts according to their support site. Problem solved.;):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!