What's new

Block access from different devices to NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hababu

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I need your help - I searched the forum but I did not find a solution:
Is it possible to block some IP addresses (LAN and WIFI), so that they cannot access the NAS (LAN). (the HDDs are spinning up from time to time)

I am using Merlin WRT and a AX-88U

Thank you very much

Kind regards
hababu

What model/manufacture of NAS? Some NAS devices include the ability to block access to them based on client IP address. For example Synology DSM has the option to block specific or a range of IP address in it's firewall setting.

Last edited:
QNAP Turbo Station TS-431P - I have tried it to enter some IP Addresses (in the QNAP app from my mobile device), but for example Samba access still works.

See the QNAP Turbo Station TS-431P User Manual (https://www.qnap.com/en/download?model=ts-431p&category=documents) if you haven't already. It has a section that explains how to block based on IP address by using an allow/deny list. The information starts around page 41 of that user manual. Go to Control Panel > System > Security > Allow/Deny List to configure the list.
Security
To protect your NAS from unauthorized access, you can configure allow or deny lists, enable IP access protection, upload SSL certificates and custom root certificates. Additionally, you can use account account access protection or create a unique password policy for your NAS.
Edit to add: More from Qnap: Configuring the Allow/Deny List

Thanks for your fast replies. I will try it - I have set only one IP, that is allowed now --> I have tried it from other IP addresses (Webinterface, Samba, MobileApp) and the access does not work any longer :)

Ping still works - I hope that the HDD spin ups will reduce.

Kind regards
hababu

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!