What's new

Breaking Dad's Big Bad Gaming Discussion - For all things to do with PC Gaming !

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It's £2.99 a month, or 36 quid a year for 50 pages a month, when I had an epson it was costing about 150 quid a year or more for ink, that and theres no effort, they just send you more ink when your printer is low automatically, a no brainer tbh, great if you have kids doing homework. If they make a profit that's fine with me also it's a great service, that and the printer itself is like 40 quid and ours has lasted a good 3 or 4 years so far.

It makes sense for some people, however they do often use remanufactured cartridges. Granted if they're doing it you'd hope they're doing it right.

Epson is pushing those Ecotank printers now, no idea if they're any good. That's another brand that was awful in the past so haven't even looked at them in decades. I remember they used to just drain the cartridges out into the inside of the printer when not used.

It's £2.99 a month, or 36 quid a year for 50 pages a month

Yes, they are winning the game in exactly this way - very cheap disposable printer to hook you up, firmware updates blocking compatible cartridges and ink price like it's made of liquid gold after. This £2.99 is for less than 1ml of ink, then £1 for every 10 pages extra. Printer ink is up to 95% water. This is a widely criticized business practice because many people buy the printer for single use and send it to the landfill. I choose better quality non disposable printer, get refillable cartages and buy 800ml of ink for about £36 after. Greener and no one counts printed pages in my family.

Recall Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome - where elctromigraton would kill the chip after extended overclocking...
And also the Celeron sudden death issue we were discussing a few weeks ago in another thread, due to a hardware design issue with one of their clocks.

No, Intel isn't perfect. They do also have their issues.

Wasn't that the Atom C2000 series.

Wasn't that the Atom C2000 series.
It affected the J1800, J1900, N2807, and N2930 Celerons, which were widely used in NASes.

Broken hardware is one thing (warranty, replacement free of charge, or not), but usability issues are another.

With bad hardware, you pass your limit and junk it. Then buy something else that works.

With just a bad 'experience', it's something else entirely. I've never seen these types of issues on Intel laptops (that I couldn't fix with various methods), just exclusively with AMD-based units.

On the Lenovo Slim 7 Carbon Edition, the screen, the speakers, and the large trackpad are all very good to excellent. Too bad the processor/platform lets the whole system down with variable performance, freezes, and other ongoing anomalies with the battery life, etc.

Intel has a very good reputation (for good reason) for the reliability and dependability of its products, re: fit for use. AMD, not so much. In my experience.

Yes, AMD is pushing performance, battery life, and other tangible improvements with its products. They now need to concentrate on the reliability/dependability aspects very soon if they don't want to lose the gains they've made.

Last edited:
Broken hardware is one thing (warranty, replacement free of charge, or not), but usability issues are another.

With bad hardware, you pass your limit and junk it. Then buy something else that works.

With just a bad 'experience', it's something else entirely. I've never seen these types of issues on Intel laptops (that I couldn't fix with various methods), just exclusively with AMD-based units.

On the Lenovo Slim 7 Carbon Edition, the screen, the speakers, and the large trackpad are all very good to excellent. Too bad the processor/platform lets the whole system down with variable performance, freezes, and other ongoing anomalies with the battery life, etc.

Intel has a very good reputation (for good reason) for the reliability and dependability of its products, re: fit for use. AMD, not so much. In my experience.

Yes, AMD is pushing performance, battery life, and other tangible improvements with its products. They now need to concentrate on the reliability/dependability aspects very soon if they don't want to lose the gains they've made.
Reliability is there on AMD, trust me as I have been using them in both my server and my gaming and multimedia systems. The problem is their partners got a little crazy. Because AMD has the gaming crown and has been delivering on performance each round with Zen, the board partners pushed the evenlop a little harder than they should of. Also AMD may of pulled an Intel and knew about it but was trying to keep it hush while a fix was in toe. That would be the gripe I would have with them if true.

Good news. AMD released a statement about the root cause to the burn up issue. Looks like too much voltage from the board being sent to the CPU. The new AGESA update has imposed limitors to how much voltage will go safely to the CPU rails. Also looks like they are prepared to take care of any customers with the burnt up CPUs as they prioritized it with their support teams. That is good news.

Yes, they are winning the game in exactly this way - very cheap disposable printer to hook you up, firmware updates blocking compatible cartridges and ink price like it's made of liquid gold after. This £2.99 is for less than 1ml of ink, then £1 for every 10 pages extra. Printer ink is up to 95% water. This is a widely criticized business practice because many people buy the printer for single use and send it to the landfill. I choose better quality non disposable printer, get refillable cartages and buy 800ml of ink for about £36 after. Greener and no one counts printed pages in my family.
I only use official ones, they are sent free before they run out, in fact I have two waiting here to change when the other two run out. As I said this printer is about 4 years old, and it won't go to landfill, even when it does die, it will go in the electric recycling bin at the tip.

Another fact check for you on your statement there is actually 3.5ml in a cartridge, and these last about 6 months before changing. The empty cartridges get collected and returned to HP about once every 2 years, in the handy bag they provide. I think in 4 years we only went over 50 pages once, I am happy to pay the £1, it's done automatically and it didn't break the bank lol. Again no one counts pages here, it's all automatic.

Good news. AMD released a statement about the root cause to the burn up issue. Looks like too much voltage from the board being sent to the CPU. The new AGESA update has imposed limitors to how much voltage will go safely to the CPU rails. Also looks like they are prepared to take care of any customers with the burnt up CPUs as they prioritized it with their support teams. That is good news.

Yes AMD have handled it well tbh. That said, they could provide more clarity on non 3d chips, as I can still hit the danger zone voltages if I didn't know what I was doing with voltage caps.

Another fact check for you on your statement there is actually 3.5ml in a cartridge, and these last about 6 months before changing.

HP reached level 100 in this game. :eek:
How much ink is used for 50 pages and £2.99/month?

Older HP printers used to come with 12-20ml cartridges per color.
Your choice as usual. If they still offer this service someone is willing to pay for it obviously.

Some more info=

Here we go the video we have been awaiting :)
I watch GN videos even for topics I don’t care about. I am always entertained and usually learn something.

Yes AMD have handled it well tbh. That said, they could provide more clarity on non 3d chips, as I can still hit the danger zone voltages if I didn't know what I was doing with voltage caps.
I believe the new AGESA firmware update is to address issues on the non-X3D parts as well from what I understand.

I believe the new AGESA firmware update is to address issues on the non-X3D parts as well from what I understand.
Here is a very handy link for ALL current AM5 and AM4 bios's over all motherboard vendors, I am awaiting non beta bios for mine, as I believe there are still issues with AGESA 1.0.0.7

I don't think I need to state use at your own risk with you guys.

Here is a very handy link for ALL current AM5 and AM4 bios's over all motherboard vendors, I am awaiting non beta bios for mine, as I believe there are still issues with AGESA 1.0.0.7

I don't think I need to state use at your own risk with you guys.
You are correct. AMD stated there was issues with 1.0.0.7 and are working on a new update supposedly 1.0.9.0. May now be more towards middle to end of this month for a proper fix.

Since we are speaking of gaming, I have been experimenting over the last few days and have at the moment retired my Windows Server 2022 gaming server and NAS and transition to Unraid with a Lancache docker running to build a game ache of sorts.

It was tricky but I enjoyed figuring the puzzle out and it has access to the full hardware as needed. I currently have my 2 new 16TB Seagate Exo SATA drives connected with a 512GB 3D and based SATA SSD acting as a cache. I also have 3 very old SATA Seagate 160GB drives connected too, but they may be doing light duty as Unraid seems to be seeing an error somewhere on them. I will probably also eventually pick up at least 1 more 16GB Exo to add as a parity drive and a fast nvme M.2 SSD to further enhance the cache and overall performance of this server.

Still playing with it, but with my vast library of games and constant upgrades or additions of systems, this should make for a quick restore or reinstall of games. I will also be putting my ROMs from various emulators there as well, since my computer will eventually be getting an upgrade to the Ryzen AM5 platform and I may want to go with a purely clean install on all drives.

Unraid is completely new to me as I have read and watched about it but never played with, let alone deployed it in production on my network. Was easy to setup and something I could recommend as I get more accustom to it. Just thought it was interesting from not only a NAS server setup but a gamers POV.

I only use official ones, they are sent free before they run out, in fact I have two waiting here to change when the other two run out. As I said this printer is about 4 years old, and it won't go to landfill, even when it does die, it will go in the electric recycling bin at the tip.

Another fact check for you on your statement there is actually 3.5ml in a cartridge, and these last about 6 months before changing. The empty cartridges get collected and returned to HP about once every 2 years, in the handy bag they provide. I think in 4 years we only went over 50 pages once, I am happy to pay the £1, it's done automatically and it didn't break the bank lol. Again no one counts pages here, it's all automatic.

For your (and others) situations it makes sense. I print a lot so it doesn't make sense for me.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!