What's new

Breaking Dad's Big Bad Gaming Discussion - For all things to do with PC Gaming !

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yeah some of it is down to product lines. Their high end RAM as far as I know, is not even really well binned for the price. Pretty much paying extra for average ram for looks/RGB with the “Dominator” series, much better alternatives out there if you actually want better timings/dies. Haven’t owned their mice or keyboards but their fans and pumps I have and ran into consistent QC issues…sometimes cosmetic, sometimes functional. I bought a GPU waterblock for my 4090 which wasn’t even milled to fit the extra VRMs vs standard variant though box claimed they supported the MSI Suprim… Their fan kits were all over the place with half the fans making differing noises at various frequencies… ML / AR series… Noctua NF-A series is much better for balance between noise/performance/consistency. Corsair overall seems like Razer back in the day in some ways; excellent marketing vs so-so quality.. Their PSUs mostly third party like Seasonic (couple models years ago), CWT etc not bad. Their cases aren’t bad either, at least for me, I really like the 4&5000D Airflow series.
Yes, Corsair items are not that good. I own a lot of almost all kinds of Corsair items. All of corsair items are overpriced. I have some 5000D series. 5000D is cheap, but I don't like them at all. The worst items are Headset, Mouse and Keyboard.
Keyboard: Impossible to change switches without soldering.:mad: Switch and body noise. Garbage iCUE.
Mouse: Stupid shell. Poor build quality. Never heard of Chinese $10 mouse is better. Garbage iCUE.
Headset: Poor sound quality. Garbage fake virtual 7.1 ch. Are you kidding me Dolby Atmos for gaming?🤣 Garbage iCUE.
Mouse pad: Just ok but overpriced. Much better than ASUS ROG Garbage Mouse Pads.
BUT I can say Corsair iCUE is way better than ASUS Garbage Armoury Crate.

Corsair is much like what was Thermaltake - they source out products out of the core expertise to white label ODM's - there it's up to the quality levels that are contracted for...

Pretty much what all the "brands" do... spec a level of support, and put a label and stuff it into a box...

Yes, Corsair items are not that good. I own a lot of almost all kinds of Corsair items. All of corsair items are overpriced. I have some 5000D series. 5000D is cheap, but I don't like them at all. The worst items are Headset, Mouse and Keyboard.
Keyboard: Impossible to change switches without soldering.:mad: Switch and body noise. Garbage iCUE.
Mouse: Stupid shell. Poor build quality. Never heard of Chinese $10 mouse is better. Garbage iCUE.
Headset: Poor sound quality. Garbage fake virtual 7.1 ch. Are you kidding me Dolby Atmos for gaming?🤣 Garbage iCUE.
Mouse pad: Just ok but overpriced. Much better than ASUS ROG Garbage Mouse Pads.
BUT I can say Corsair iCUE is way better than ASUS Garbage Armoury Crate.
Ouch! Seems you are not a fan of Asus or Corsair. For me, Corsair and Asus have been pretty good to me, and Asus and I go way back to the Athlon/Pentium 2/3 slot days. Back then I was really getting into building and primarily used Asus and Tyan Motherboards as the 2 main brands before nearly fully locking Asus as my main go to consumer board (I think Tyan also began transitioning more to workstation/server business. Asus has never done me really wrong. I had only one RMA product with them in the first Ryzen X370 Crosshair Extreme platform. Sent in for RMA, and ended up purchasing a cheap but still capable enough X470 Gigabyte Aorus motherboard to hold me over. Received it back and only problem I had was the RMA diag notes which made it feel like they did not find anything wrong, but the board did come back fully fixes (I think they swapped it and moved the S/N over.). I have not had a problem with them since. I do have a B550 TUF board I bought from Micro Center open box with just the board and no accessories, that seems to freeze after a while, but I believe that is either do to putting the unsupported Ryzen 1700 CPU in it, or it was damaged prior. I did purchase a 2yr warranty for that purpose and if the case will get it replaced soon enough before that warranty expires. Armory Crate, I do not think all areas are so bad, but will agree it needs make over performance wise and a little cosmetically.

As for Corsair, I have not had anything too bad, I did buy 1 headset that the plastic volume button stopped working correctly, and one small drop from my son, and the button broke into the headset wheel. I have a Corsair Virtuoso SE Headset and that works very well. The surround sound settings is nice, but since it is a first edition, I have to disable settings in the iCUE software so that I can use the Dolby Atmos. I also have their K70 Rapidfire mechanical keyboards and Dark Core Pro SE wireless mouse. They were pretty good. The iCUE software is probably one of the best put together software suites for ARGB. I also own their RX1000X and RM850 modular PSUs and have had zero issues.

With that said, I have upgraded all my main gear to Logitech, more or less to have one piece of software as the main one stop shop. Upgraded to the G910 mechanical wireless keyboard and G502 X Plus mechanical wireless mouse. I also have the G Pro X 2 wireless headset, Brio Pro 4K Windows Hello camera, and now H.O.T.A.S X56 controller (That controller currently still uses a little older software for configuration). I still have the Corsair products and use them on other devices.

As someone who grew up and saw sort of where these 2 were and where they are now, I can say, even with some of the mishaps and mistakes they make, they are still 2 of the biggest and reliable brands out today. No need to bash them down, even if you have a different preference.

Pretty much what all the "brands" do... spec a level of support, and put a label and stuff it into a box...
But from the end user's point of view, it's still that manufacturer's name that's on it. Some manufacturers will chose to put their label on a Seasonic PSU, and others will chose to put their label on a Shenzhen Random Company #10355 PSU that weights less than a box of cereals. That decision is what will determine whether that manufacturer will be a reliable brand or not.

In the case of peripherals for the brands mentionned here, the design is more likely to be done in-house, or by a third party based on the specs and budget determined by the manufacturer. Corsair and Logitech's $150 mices aren't off-the-shelves Shenzhen designs.

Bringing it back to a gaming discussion. I went a little crazy over the holidays and added a lot of games to my ever-growing library, with some games I still have not gotten around to yet, but the deals were too great to pass up (Like $2000 worth of games for under $400 too good). One of the games was the Metal Gear Solid Vol. 1 series. It is one of my few big titles that I can buy it on a few different platforms or when new versions hit. I am actually starting from the beginning according to timeline and played and beat MG 1 and 2 (NES/MSX) 8-bit style games and forgot how hard old school can be for a moment lol. I am now currently on MGS (Originally launched on the PS1) and realized once you get to the torture chamber part of the game, how hard it can be to really mash a button down now that I am older, and my speed and fingers are not 100% the same for mashing buttons like you have to for that one scene. Still a great series, and with this year, trying to focus on playing and beating some of my back catalog of games lol.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!